Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Compiling Christmas gift for friend.. help

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Anastasis

Compiling Christmas gift for friend.. help

Hey guys :)

I'm trying to work up a Christmas gift for a friend, something he'll really like I think. I'm trying to gather the best articles, sermons, etc., that I can find, as he loves that stuff. I love the stuff I find on this website, though I'm sure you guys, being up and down the aisles a few times, know where some of the true treasures lie. I'll take anything from Washer to Ravenhill, Whitefield to Wesley, Calvin to Bunyan, Spurgeon to Lloyd-Jones, anything you can see being a true spiritual gem. And the more, the better! I'm going to do my own searching too, yes, but I want to see what you guys would come up with.

Thank you!

2009/12/17 13:51Profile
Anastasis

Re: Compiling Christmas gift for friend.. help

Oh! For clarity, I'm compiling all of these in a binder, so I'm mainly looking for text sermons that I can print out for him. However, I may put in a few CDs for him too.

2009/12/17 13:59Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Anastasis,

I, personally, would not forget to include Zac Poonen:

1. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=18304]Some Important Truths I Have Learnt[/url]

2. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=20625]That Which Costs Us Everything[/url]

3. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=2035]Lovers of the Truth[/url]

4. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=20696]Our Attitude to Corrections[/url]

5. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=20776]Spirit of the New Covenant[/url]

6. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=18335]Our New - Covenant Birthright[/url]

If you want to give him some CD's, I highly recommend his series,

Enjoy!! [url=http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/from_babylon_to_jerusalem.php]From Babylon to Jerusalem[/url]

What a great idea that you are doing for your friend!

2009/12/18 7:00Profile
Anastasis

Re:

Thank you for these! Look forward to seeing more!

I actually have the Babylon series on my computer, though I've never had time to listen to them. 28 sermons, that's a lot. I'll have to work out a game plan on that.

2009/12/18 22:24Profile
Anastasis

Re:

Just thought I would write and say that I've used three of the articles from this thread. I gave him the gift yesterday, and he greatly appreciated it. (This statement of no attribution to myself) He told me he could see the workings of the spirit in this item as well, he nearly cried.

It included a variety of authors throughout history from St. Clement and Augustine to Luther, Calvin, Wesley, Ravenhill, Baxter, Poonen, Ray Comfort, Paul Washer, and others. The project was divided into five sections: Revival, Truth and Reformation, Christian Living, Suffering and Martyrdom, and Evangelism and Preaching. This was a joy to work on!

Merry Christmas to all!

2009/12/27 0:05Profile

I like the way you've divided the subject. Sounds very interesting. Praise the Lord for a friend who could receive such a gift - and probably will cry (in private).

2009/12/27 7:45

Re:

Quote:
He told me he could see the workings of the spirit in this item as well, he nearly cried.

It made me cry to read that.

You have such a deep understanding of the authors through the ages. Perhaps you ought to publish a book on the subject. God bless you, my dear sister.

2009/12/29 19:11

Re:

Quote:
"I was seized by the power of a great affection." ~ Brennan Mannings

I'm interested in this quote. I think the real quote was about 'the expulsive power of a new affection'. Lysa, can you explain, if you don't mind?

2009/12/29 19:21
Anastasis

Re:

Thank you for your good kind words everyone.

I must confess though, I am not worthy to write that book. God had actually used this to teach me, because for a little bit I was a little too caught up in the Calvinist/Arminian divide, and I had taken some stances that I shouldn't have, and even now I am still learning about properly loving the saints in the body (although I'm much better off than I was a few weeks ago, and I am pursuing it diligently). There was a story about John Wesley which had transformed my perspective:

"One day, after Whitefield's decease, John Wesley was timidly approached by one of the godly band of Christian sisters who had been brought under his influences and who loved both Whitefield and himself:

"' Dear Mr. Wesley, may I ask you a question?'

"' Yes, of course, madam, by all means.'

"' But, dear Mr. Wesley, I am very much afraid what the answer will be.'

"' Well, madam, let me hear your question, and then you will know my reply.'

"At last, after not a little hesitation, the inquirer tremblingly asked, ' Dear Mr. Wesley, do you expect to see dear Mr. Whitefield in heaven?'

"A lengthy pause followed, after which John Wesley replied with great seriousness, 'No, madam.' "His inquirer at once exclaimed, 'Ah, I was afraid you would say so.'

"To which John Wesley added, with intense earnestness, ' Do not misunderstand me, madam; George Whitefield was so bright a star in the firmament of God's glory, and will stand so near the throne, that one like me, who am less than the least, will never catch a glimpse of him.'"

So in doing this project, the two-fold intention was to 1.) Gather from a diversity of believers, without regard to nonessential divisions, and 2.) Find the work of God throughout history through believers. I've learned some things from it that I didn't expect to find, and it forced me to think again.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Also, I should probably point out that I'm not a woman. The word "anastasis" Greek for the word "resurrection" (αναστασις). I thought this was the name God wanted me to take when I came; I hope I heard right. :P Well, now I know something I can put in my signature.

Don't worry though, it happens over the phone too. :)

Lysa: I actually used three of those messages. Probably would have done all of them, but I didn't want one particular author to become dominant.

2009/12/31 13:50Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: My quote

Quote:
"I was seized by the power of a great affection."
~ Brennan Mannings
---------------------
I'm interested in this quote. I think the real quote was about 'the expulsive power of a new affection'. Lysa, can you explain, if you don't mind?

SEIZED BY THE POWER OF A GREAT AFFECTION*

"When one is touched by God’s love and given a burning heart, everything is different. The old limitations are gone. All the limitations we put on ourselves! But these are the limitations of not being in love. When we give ourselves to Christ, our hearts begin to burn and that love makes us want to reach beyond all previously lived-with limits. In the power of a great affection the impossible becomes possible. Christ’s being ignites our inmost being. There is a release, an explosion within. Imaginative possibility after imaginative possibility presents itself for the healing of the global wounds of God’s people.

One has to put oneself in the way of being seized. You can’t suddenly be aware of the love of God with all of the resistances we have to giving and receiving love. All of us come wounded. We’re so damaged that we don’t really believe there is such a deep love, so we can’t all of a sudden respond to the love of God which is there. But we can put ourselves in the way of being seized by it. That’s the purpose of all the disciplines of the spiritual life. The disciplines really have to do with getting out our resistances and blockages and getting our souls ready for the breakthrough of love.

Each congregation’s primary task is to create structures that offer the possibility of being seized. Does the structure for education in your church get souls ready for the breakthrough of love? Do each of the groups in your church offer opportunity for consciously facing resistances and blockages so that individuals are ready for this breakthrough? Do your own personal disciplines cause your heart to burn?"

*These words were spoken by Gordon Cosby, who, with his wife Mary, co-founded Church of the Savior in Washington, D.C., in 1946 and continues to serve in ministry there.

[url=http://www.seekerschurch.org/general/saviour.htm]Seekers Church[/url] is one of the offspring of the Church of the Saviour, an ecumenical Christian church founded in 1947 by Gordon Cosby. Gordon's roots are in the Baptist Church, but the structure of Church of the Saviour grows out of his experience as an Army chaplain in Europe during World War II. There, he was responsible for the spiritual needs of soldiers who were scattered across France in small units. Gordon realized that he could not be present to minister to this scattered "flock," so he took a page from Paul's writings, and worked within each small unit to train lay leaders who could provide responsive support and prayer. He traveled from unit to unit, training and encouraging these lay pastors.

2009/12/31 15:55Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy