SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Kerry pushes 'GLBT' bumper stickers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

p.s. Dear Mike

I almost forgot; I have been praying and meditating over this whole line of discussion, and I was reading First Corinthians and this passage just leapt out at me. I don't know what it "means", or how its "applicable" to the whole discussion, but it just resonated in my soul and I wanted to share:

" We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honoured, we are dishonoured! To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world".

1 Cor 4: 10-13

in the margin this morning I wrote, "The apostolic lot in life".

Thank You Holy Spirit for Your Word!!

2004/10/5 20:17
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Well Neilgin1,

Perhaps what is of interest is this ability of putting words into my mouth by assumption or 'guilt by association'.

An example:

Quote:
But if the church believes that everything regarding the war is hunky-dory, and the President dealt with the public on the level, and truthfully, we have no further need for dialogue.

You brought up the war and for whatever reason want to continue to make this the issue, but I am not going to get caught up in all the rhetoric just because this is your particular bent. Again, you are still making assumptions based on what you 'think' someone is thinking.

As to the shuttle, this is still curious logic, that you feel free to state one thing in private and another in public. What if they happened upon this discussion?, it is readily available to read. More than that isn't it duplicitous especially if you compare it to this line; [i]"that deceit is a frequent policy CHOICE in the Bush administration"?[/i] Before you jump on that one as an 'AHA!' and make another assumption, isn't that the same thing as above?

Quote:
when everybody disagrees with you on a position, then you are probably right.

Do you really believe that? That seems to be the wrong criteria to base your positions on, especially amongst the brethren.

I don't want to take this to extremes either. It's just that I am suspicious of proclamations that can come from possibly our own minds and think the danger is in attributing them to God and then making them public without consideration of possible ramifications. Have heard many things that believers have said they 'got' from the Lord and shoot there is times when I think the Lord has spoken something to my spirit but being that I don't trust my own thoughts and the preponderance of dissimilar 'prophecy's' and the like that can't be collaborated or backed up scripturally would always cause me to err on the side of caution. But that's me.

I don't know how this all comes across to the listening audience out there, but I am not angry in the least brother. Just puzzled a little and originally was trying to just point out some things that didn't seem to me to be able to be reconciled scripturally.

What I likely failed to convey is that I hate politics and this is just one of the reasons I do. We don't have all the facts, we get prejudiced information at best and it just always turns into a verbal slug fest that is usually more emotional than logical. Besides that's why I was attempting to direct this to a different perspective in the earlier replies, I hesitate to even post this

2004/10/6 1:56Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Quoting Mike:
“What I likely failed to convey is that I hate politics and this is just one of the reasons I do. We don't have all the facts, we get prejudiced information at best and it just always turns into a verbal slugfest that is usually more emotional than logical. Besides that's why I was attempting to direct this to a different perspective in the earlier replies, I hesitate to even post this.”

Hating politics is a good staring point. It relieves you from prejudices and standpoints regulated by group loyalties.
Submitting to Christ, submission to the Lordship of the Holy Spirit orders ones priorities according to Heavenly measures, which means that prayer silently moves in as a major object, a major predisposition in ones life. Hating the ways belonging to what is earthly is a point of beginning as to relevant intercession. The angry man, trying to take his rights according to his own way will never succeed before the throne. He cannot pray. His efforts are but wind and little bit of noise, a ratlig of the bar of the cage. An ordered discussion aiming at bringing forth substantial points for prayer is blessed by the Lord. There is no fruit to find any other way.
Lars

2004/10/6 2:29Profile

Re:

Mike,
without belaboring anything, the only reason I brought up the war was in response to Greg Gordon's post:

Quote:
I don't think it matters that much over small issues with Bush vs. Kerry. The main thing here is that Bush is a godly man seeking the Lord and Kerry is an infidel trying to win over all sides of peoples to get into the presidential spot. Christians pray!

I'm not wild about politic's either.

2004/10/6 13:30
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

Tell it!

NPR played Kerry's opening remarks at a Natl Day of Prayer meeting years ago, and it was one of the most poignant testimonies to beleif in Christ I have ever, ever heard.
I've no love for the Demos (i'm registered Green), but that, and Edwards exposing the unqualifications of cheney last night, have this Christian leaning Kerry hard.
I hope for the day when the body of Christ frees itself from the GOP's poison apple.
Christ said be innocent as doves and shrewed as foxes. I think Kerry may have taken that to heart.
I praise God that W states his faith clearly, and that it lifted him up from the state of 'born on third, and thought he'd hit a triple'. But he has lied to us, and altho POTUS do that at times (except Jimmy?!?), at least they have to have more fruits to be known by than the Skull & Bones, moronic intellect, and talking down a man's war record instead of why we really, really invaded Iraq.

2004/10/6 14:42Profile

Mloaks

Praise God!!

I heard that on NPR also!! That was pretty neat.

Abortion is non-starter, there is NO wiggle room on that issue.

God bless you sir.

2004/10/6 19:56
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
I hope for the day when the body of Christ frees itself from the GOP's poison apple.

I do too, it's very clear to me that the Republicans are not in our corner, but I can't stress enough that the Democrats are definately [b]not[/b] either. Just because Bush isn't much better (and perhaps in some ways worse) than Kerry doesn't make Kerry good.

Quote:
at least they have to have more fruits to be known by than the Skull & Bones, moronic intellect, and talking down a man's war record instead of why we really, really invaded Iraq.

Kerry is also a Skull & Bones, and the Dems have targeted Bush's National Guard record (at least Bush has released his full military record, Kerry has not, and apparently won't address that issue). I'm not arguing for Bush, merely that the Dems aren't any better.

(btw, if you want a party that seems wholeheartedly Christian in its politics, try http://www.constitutionparty.org )

Anyway, I think that the best thing for the body of Christ to do in this whole mess is to realize that politics is downstream from culture (see the recently released book "Total Truth" for much more on that line of thinking), that politics is far too weak and too coercive to truly accomplish what we want, and that we shouldn't rely on a man in the White House or however many people in the legislature to do our job of "salt and light" for us.

Zechariah 4:6
Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

2004/10/7 11:53Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

As moderator of this forum, I insist.
Where does this take us in regards to prayer?
Lars W.

2004/10/7 12:00Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

A commentators note:

1Ti 2:2 -
For kings - On the respect due to rulers, see the notes on Rom 13:1-7. The meaning here is, that while all people should be the subjects of prayer, those should be particularly remembered before the throne of grace who are in authority. The reason is, that so much depends on their character and plans; that the security of life, liberty, and property, depends so much on them. God has power to influence their hearts, and to incline them to what is just and equal; and hence we should pray that a divine influence may descend upon them. The salvation of a king is of itself of no more importance than that of a peasant or a slave; but the welfare of thousands may depend on him, and hence he should be made the special subject of prayer.
All that are in authority - Margin, or, “eminent place.” This does not necessarily mean those who hold office, but refers to any of elevated rank. The happiness of all who are under their control depends greatly on them, and hence we should pray for them that they may be converted people, and inclined to do that which is right.

2004/10/7 12:06Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

I thought this was about prayer for leaders. Sorry.
Talk re whether our leaders are prayed for and why is relevant to me.

2004/10/7 12:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy