SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is "Permissible will"?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Deepthinker

Thank you very much for your kind post. I hold no ill feeling toward you at all. If I came across as harsh in any way please know I did not mean to and accept my apologies as well.

God Bless you brother and keep you
maryjane

2009/12/18 0:58Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

ginnyrose,

I agree completely with what you wrote. I also think it is godly and wise to pray for wisdom when going shopping, driving, etc.

You noted that there are often decisions the Scriptures do not address. I believe these are situations where we pray for wisdom, then apply the Scripture principles we know and make a Biblically-informed decision. But, I do not believe we must wait for a "feeling" or "thought/voice" to direct us in these decisions. I believe God directs us to take responsibility and make Biblically informed decisions in these areas. For instance, when considering a job, we should examine if there is a good local church to be involved in, if I will be partaking in anything sinful, will the location be beneficial for my family, etc. After we have considered those things and prayed for wisdom, we are free to either take the job or leave it - both options are within God's moral will.

What I see with those who rely on an inaudible voice (which they believe is from God) to direct them in these kinds of decisions is that they are actually doing the [i]exact opposite[/i] of what Scripture says to do. Scripture says that in a multitude of counselors there is wisdom, but these say that the thoughts in their head trump all counselors.

With care in Christ...

2009/12/18 7:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
I hold no ill feeling toward you at all

Thank you. :-D

2009/12/18 8:45
jimp

Re:

hi, the only person in the bible that had a multitude of counsel who was on Gods side was jonah as they threw him off of the boat...all of the others heard voices and saw visions...faith still comes by hearing...none of the people of faith heard preaching...Jesus even told peter that flesh and blood did not reveal this truth to him but My Father in heaven...paul said who art thou Lord etc. jimp

2009/12/18 9:04Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:

What I see with those who rely on an inaudible voice (which they believe is from God) to direct them in these kinds of decisions is that they are actually doing the [i]exact opposite[/i] of what Scripture says to do. Scripture says that in a multitude of counselors there is wisdom, but these say that the thoughts in their head trump all counselors

The post is about God's will and not about wisdom, when it comes to doing Gods will sometimes the last thing you need to do is speak to others but go with the conviction that God has laid upon your heart.

Here is an example....

Acts 21:4 And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, [b]that he should not go up to Jerusalem.[/b]

The counsel of many don't go to Jerusalem.

Acts 21:10-11 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Warned by a Prophet that the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man that owns the belt.

The Prophet doesn't say go or don't go only that the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns the belt.

Acts 21:12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.

Again the counsel of many is not to go to Jerusalem.

What is Pauls reply Acts 21:13 What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

Paul wanted to be in Jerusalem for Pentecost Acts 20:16 why he wanted to be there I don't know did an inaudible voice tell him well I just don't know but there must have been some strong conviction for him not to listen to the disciples at Tyre, Philip the evangelist his family and all that traveled with Paul.

2009/12/18 9:44Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I don't know did an inaudible voice

This is my point. There is no explicit reference that I'm aware of to God leading someone by an inaudible voice.

To me, it's more strictly Biblical to claim you saw a vision, heard a voice (audibly), etc... But this concept of an inaudible voice is one that I can't find in the Scriptures, yet it's how many people operate today.

With care in Christ...

2009/12/18 14:00Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I hope you don't see this as cold or Pharisaical.

Taylor: Don't see it as cold or being a pharisee at all. Also don't see recognizing and declaring that God has directed you to do something before you do it as being like a protestant Pope.

I can only speak to you from experience. I have only once in my life had anything like a vision or an audible voice. It was a time of very intense prayer that came on me very suddenly. God showed me in some "pictures" some things about His plan for my life that are very vivid. I often hear the voice of the Lord in my spirit or mind (however you want to define this), and I have learned to know His voice as well as I know the voice of my wife. It is not audibly discerned, but spiritually.

Let me give you just one example. I was serving in leadership in a local church. We had quite the children's ministry and needed a bus to pick the children up for church. One became available from a local Bible College and was auctioned off in a sealed bid process. Two other leaders and I all independently prayed about how much to offer. God spoke to each of us the same amount of money. Other times in ministering to people, God has used me in the gift of the word of knowledge and has given me supernatural revelation about a person's situation that I had no way of knowing in the natural.

Quote:
Praying for wisdom and light on this matter...

I appreciate this attitude. Like I said, I can give you my own experience.

God bless you brother!

Travis.

2009/12/18 14:28Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
What I see with those who rely on an inaudible voice (which they believe is from God) to direct them in these kinds of decisions is that they are actually doing the exact opposite of what Scripture says to do. Scripture says that in a multitude of counselors there is wisdom, but these say that the thoughts in their head trump all counselors.

You are correct. There are immature or deceived people who do get into error, supposing their own ideas are the voice of God. But this does not mean that all are this way. I have been around long enough to see some pretty flaky stuff, and people getting off into error. I have also seen and experienced the genuine.

If you feel you have heard the Lord speak to you directing you to do something and are not sure, I suggest the following. First, filter it through the written word. All subjective revelation must be ran through the filter of the written word. Your question is, "does this violate the word?" This assumes you are consistently in the word and have a good knowledge of it. If not, go to step two. Second, discuss it with a very mature saint who you know to be genuinely led of the Lord.

Ultimately though I think Jimp is right. We need to come to a place where we recognize the leadings of the Holy Spirit and follow Him. It is part of walking by faith.

Again, blessings brother!

Travis

2009/12/18 14:36Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

twayneb,

Thank you for your insights.

Pressing on with you...

2009/12/18 18:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.