SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matthew Chapter 10

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Matthew Chapter 10

Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to go through Jesus' teaching and write down all the commandments that He gave us. This started with a Ravenhill quote, I think, that says the Bible doesn't give suggestions but commandments. Anyway, I started in Matthew and was doing fine until chapter 10.

My question is what is strictly for the disciples, or apostles, and what is for us? Or is it all for us? The same could apply to John 17:6-19. My Bible says it was prayed for the disciples and I just assumed that meant me. The Matthew verse, specifically 10:5, is a little more confusing as it seems to be pretty specific to the Biblical time and place. Any clarification on this would be great. I want to get it right.

2009/12/14 22:06Profile

Re: Matthew Chapter 10

Context helps as well as plain reading

Mt 10:5 ¶ These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

So in this scripture it describes Jesus sending his twelve out on an initial run to proclaim. Then when they come back to Him He can teach them some more.
Also the gospel go's first to the Jew then the Gentile.

Later we read in Galations that Peters primary mission would remain to the Jews. Pauls primary mission would be to the Gentiles. Both had a secondary mission..Peter to the Gentiles Paul to the Jews.

2009/12/14 22:16
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

A great question that not many people seriously consider. For a very full exploration on this topic, I'd highly commend to you the sermons and writings of Art Katz, available on this site. He spoke much on this subject. He has one sermon called "To the Jew First" that you should check out.

In Romans 1:16 and other places teaches that the gospel is to the Jews first, and then also to the Greeks. For the gospel belongs to Jews because of the covenants made with the Fathers. In Genesis 12, a great theme begins in the Scriptures where God promises to bless all the nations of the earth through the seed of Abraham. One might say the rest of the Scriptures is the fleshing out of this theme. As a result of this relationship with God through covenant, the gospel naturally belongs to the Jews, for they are supposed to be "a nation of priests" who administer the promises of God to the rest of the nations.

Quote:

Pauls primary mission would be to the Gentiles.

But if you notice, when Paul came to a new city, he sought out the local synagogue to proclaim the gospel to first. He did this not simply for pragmatic reasons, but for theological reasons.

2009/12/14 22:28Profile
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Re:

Quote:
So in this scripture it describes Jesus sending his twelve out on an initial run to proclaim. Then when they come back to Him He can teach them some more.
Also the gospel go's first to the Jew then the Gentile.

This is where this particular chapter confuses me. There is no break in His message to the disciples. Jesus moves from sending them, to persecutions, to the fear of God, and so forth. It's verse 5 that leads me to think this may be strictly for the disciples, because there is no break.

Also, this is not a loaded question as some are apt to ask. I believe that everything in the Bible is profitable for daily living and this chapter would surely be useful. I'm just confused because of verse 5. The notes in my Bible say this is just a foreshadowing of what the church is going to do, but it doesn't really back that idea up with scripture.

2009/12/14 22:31Profile
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Re:

Quote:
In Romans 1:16 and other places teaches that the gospel is to the Jews first, and then also to the Greeks.

Thank you. I have listened to the Art Katz sermon you mentioned. It was very eye opening as most of what I'd heard taught on the subject led me to believe I should be nice to them, obviously there's more to it than that.

Again, this isn't a loaded question and I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative, but this verse says "[b]do not go[/b] into the way of the Gentiles". It doesn't say anything about "first". I think you are correct though. Maybe the specific time and place and original intent are not what is important here but rather the truth that is revealed throughout the rest of the chapter? I would just like to be able to point to something and say "this verse is for me because of 'such and such'".

2009/12/14 22:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Matt, I'm not quit sure I grasp what you are asking? Could you elaborate a little more? Thanks :-)

2009/12/14 23:38Profile

Re:

Mathew 5 is specific to the time and place, just as you said. Unless I am missing something you have already answered your question concerning this specific verse.

For the rest of your question I am sure others will be able to shine light for you.

2009/12/15 7:42
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
Matt, I'm not quit sure I grasp what you are asking? Could you elaborate a little more? Thanks :-)

I'm really just trying to be sure that the rest of that chapter applies to me and Christians today. I'm sure it sounds a bit elementary, and I think I answered my own question, like thingsabove mentioned. I think that the truth of everything after verse 5 and 6 applies to us today, but verses 5 and 6 were specific to the disciples at that time.

2009/12/15 21:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy