SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works

"Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works: their works [i]are[/i] works of iniquity, and the act of violence [i]is[/i] in their hands."

- Isaiah 59:6(KJV)

Good morning all.

I stopped at the store this morning to pick up some things and to get something for dinner. I noticed on one of the boxes an invitation to use the box to help feed others - intrigued I turned it over to read what it was about.

A popular female singer was posed on the back with her name mentioned along with an initative to feed people in need in America.

Now, before I continue, I want to say that I beleive that the good that people do should be commended when it is appropriate, regardless of who they are. And the last thing that we should want is to frustrate or discourage others in doing good, or to be like those that would say, we have piped unto you, but you have not danced, we have mourned unto you, and you have not lamented.

But as I looked at this box, and the popular entertainer whose name and 'tour' and image were being featured on it for the sake of this charity, there seemed to be something repeated that I have been noticing for some time now.

In our text, one of the indictments that is made against the people is that none of them call for justice. And if there is anything in this passage that perhaps [b]does not[/b] apply so much to our culture today in general, it may be that.

There has been, in my opinion and observation, ever since the election, a continued and varied call for different forms of justice in our society. There is a call to hold the rich accountable for greed and a call to hold some of the former administration accountable for its treatment of its prisoners.

And there is a call to help those who are poor in the world.

So much so that I do not think it is a stretch to suggest that charity has become the vogue of the day, even among the fashionable and elite of American society and culture.

But for those of us who have been hoping and praying for revival and a deep turning to God in America and for ourselves, we might not find all of this so much encouraging, as perhaps it is conflicting.

I remember during the election campaign, there was a series of ads that came on between one of the debates. The first ad was about a TV show where a single mother was featured in having her home remodled. The very next ad was promoting a TV show called Desperate Housewives.

Soemthing is wrong with us if we are a people that can simultaneously smile warmly at seeing the outside of a house being painted up and afterwards laugh at seeing it destroyed from within.

I personally think that the conscience of America is screaming and we are turing up the volume to drown it out.

Our good works cannot cover it.

2009/12/13 12:40Profile

Re: Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with th

Chris, I've just now read your post. Thank you for sharing these thoughts.

I think we had a flirtation with charity work in the UK, particularly since the time of BandAid (80s), and there is a kind of ethical consciousness which is trying to replace true conscientiousness in the sight of God. But the tide of immorality is rising in such a way as it will take true miracles of God's intervention, to save people out of it. I'm not sure it can be stemmed, unless there is a 'revival'.

2009/12/14 11:59

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy