SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Eritrea Arrests 30 Evangelical Christian Women

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Eritrea Arrests 30 Evangelical Christian Women

[b]Eritrea Arrests 30 Evangelical Christian Women[/b]

The Eritrean government arrested 30 elderly, Christian women this past weekend, a Christian persecution watchdog reported Monday.

Security forces on Dec. 5 rounded up a group of mostly elderly women praying together at a house and took them to a police station in Asmara, the capital city, according to International Christian Concern.

The women are mostly members of the Faith Mission Church, an evangelical church with a Methodist background. The church has an over 50-year history in Eritrea but became a target of government crackdown after a law requiring churches to register with officials was adopted in 2002. ...

read more: www.christianpost.com

2009/12/9 5:34Profile
GeorgeFox

Re: Eritrea Arrests 30 Evangelical Christian Women

Does that mean that if they had registered with officials they would not have been arrested? They weren't arrested for praying, they were arrested for not registering?

2009/12/9 10:11Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

GeorgeFox wrote:

Quote:

Does that mean that if they had registered with officials they would not have been arrested? They weren't arrested for praying, they were arrested for not registering?

This gets into the issue of if these people [i]should[/i] have registered or not.

I believe that in persecuted nations, you do not follow the rule of law when it comes to worshiping God. If you do, you will only set yourself up for more persecution, or for governmental interference dictating how you are able to worship and how you are not able to worship.

2009/12/9 10:39Profile
GeorgeFox

Re:

What about getting a permit to preach? I know that John Bunyan went to jail because he refused to get a permit to preach the Gospel.

2009/12/9 11:03Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

GeorgeFox wrote:

Quote:

What about getting a permit to preach? I know that John Bunyan went to jail because he refused to get a permit to preach the Gospel.

I will repost what I said before since I believe it answers this question already. :-)

"I believe that in [b]persecuted[/b] nations, you do not follow the rule of law when it comes to worshiping God. If you do, you will only set yourself up for more persecution, or for governmental interference dictating how you are able to worship and how you are not able to worship."

2009/12/9 13:13Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi GeorgeFox...

Quote:

GeorgeFox wrote:

Actually, this is not entirely accurate. John Bunyan was NEVER arrested for merely [i]preaching[/i]...nor was he required to get "a permit to preach the Gospel." Bunyan was free to preach the Gospel, but not in certain "non-sanctioned" places. However, John Bunyan was arrested (twice) for preaching in areas that were legally reserved to "licensed" ministers of the authorized by the state church.

Was this law correct? Of course not. However, John Bunyan did knowingly break the law. He decided to preach in an area where he was required to have a national license that he refused to get. Some biographers have pointed out that this was part of his motivation to preach there...as a point to preach to people in an area that was limited to a denomination that was authorized by the government.

The difference between this and, say, an open air preacher who travels from campus to campus is that the open air preacher HAS the right to preach on the campus (without restriction) if he simply registers as a visitor. He doesn't need a "license" by the school. He simply needs to state that he is a visitor there. At this point, he can preach to his heart's content. John Bunyan did not enjoy such a right. He had no legal "constitutional" rights to preach there and didn't invoke any. He didn't "sue" to obtain such a "right." Now, he could legally preach his particular views in England, but under particular restrictions about what he said and where he said it.

I suppose that the major difference in this analogy would be that open air preachers in the United States aren't prohibited assembly based upon the [i]content[/i] of what they are saying. There are simply some local jurisdiction rules for such organizations that impede ANYONE from speaking without telling the school that they are there. This includes open air preachers of the Gospel...or salesmen, Muslims, Satanists, or activist individuals or organizations (like environmental protesters or PETA).

Do you understand the difference? I cannot claim a Constitutional right to walk onto the grounds of a local elementary school and claim that I have a "Constitutional right" to be there just so that I can preach to a captive audience of school children. The same legal principle applies to colleges and universities.

Some historians have argued that John Bunyan could have found a different method in which to petition for a "right" to preach in such restricted locations. However, Bunyan chose his method. However, I think that it is difficult to draw a fair comparison with what Bunyan did and what some open air preacher in the United States is often trying to do. Bunyan was arrested for the content of what he preached (mingled with the fact that he had no authorized national license to preach his views). There was no "constitutional question." Open air preachers are [u]free[/u] to preach if they simply register as a visitor. Once they register as a visitor, the school has no right to tell them what they can or cannot say.

2009/12/9 15:12Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: Eritrea Arrests 30 Evangelical Christian Women

Quote:
Miccah wrote:
GeorgeFox wrote:
Quote:

I will repost what I said before since I believe it answers this question already. :-)

"I believe that in [b]persecuted[/b] nations, you do not follow the rule of law when it comes to worshiping God. If you do, you will only set yourself up for more persecution, or for governmental interference dictating how you are able to worship and how you are not able to worship."

You are correct Miccah. I looked up Eritrea and found that those who attended registered churches are persecuted [b]MORE[/b] than than non-registered churches. They allow only four registered churches and they are persecuted more than the others. I believe I'd take my chances.

FYI: The majority of churches in America are already registered through the (brother, I need to save a dime greedy status!); the charity/tax-exempt type status! Probably 99% of the churches in America fell for that one!

The only ones that don't have that status are the home churces. But I know, I could be wrong! Home church people, let me know!

2009/12/9 15:17Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

This is a question of jurisdiction or right to control. Not government or individual or organization has a right to control what an individual believes. Government has no authority over religion or belief, only over conduct and questions of morality and relationships. Therefore, it is always wrong for government to interfere with religious or spiritual practices, or even to consider whether it should be involved.

Quote:

Miccah wrote:
GeorgeFox wrote:
Quote:

This gets into the issue of if these people [i]should[/i] have registered or not.

I believe that in persecuted nations, you do not follow the rule of law when it comes to worshiping God. If you do, you will only set yourself up for more persecution, or for governmental interference dictating how you are able to worship and how you are not able to worship.

2009/12/9 15:21Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Lysa wrote:

Quote:

The only ones that don't have that status are the home churces. But I know, I could be wrong! Home church people, let me know!

No 501c3 in our HC.

A church can have a non-501c3 status, but then they would have to pay taxes and may (I am not certain, hence the may) be subject to the laws pertaining to business,ie. equal job opportunities (woman pastors), what can be said and not said (homosexuality is wrong), etc...

2009/12/9 15:53Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:

Miccah wrote:

Why do you limit this to nations where Christians are persecuted?

2009/12/9 16:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy