SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What means "to take one's cross" in Mat.10:38?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

What means "to take one's cross" in Mat.10:38?

"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Mat.10:38.)
Friends can you please share your thoughts on what is meant by "taking the cross" here?Thank you.

2009/12/6 20:03Profile

Re: What means "to take one's cross" in Mat.10:38?

One of several aspects of the cross is giving up ones life for others. So we sacrifice ourselves, our pride, our goods etc. for others.

Mortifying,(crucifying) the deeds of the flesh as Paul spoke about highlights this aspect as well.

2009/12/6 20:21
Leo_Grace

Re: Death to Self

My personal understanding of this is death to self. It can translate into several applications in life:

1. Self-denial when confronted with a situation where one could gratify personal desires.

2. Humility before others, especially when one's pride is challenged.

3. Forbearance when faced with irritations or frustrations.

4. Not clinging to personal desires or inclinations when praying to God so the Spirit can lead us freely.

And probably many other applications.

2009/12/6 20:36Profile
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

Re:

thanks.i agree.i also agree that there's probably more aspects of it.this verse suggests that it is possible to follow Christ without taking a cross.What's difference between the one who takes his cross and follows his Master and the one who follows Him without the cross?I seriously would like to know more on this subject.It's not that i don't have any ideas myself but it's just interesting how other Christians see it.

2009/12/6 20:37Profile
chapel

Hi nasekom,

Here are some good thoughts by Matthew Henry and a few scriptures that speak to your question.

1. We must accustom ourselves to all instances of self-denial and patience, Luk_9:23. This is the best preparative for martyrdom. We must live a life of self-denial, mortification, and contempt of the world; we must not indulge our ease and appetite, for then it will be hard to bear toil, and weariness, and want, for Christ. We are daily subject to affliction, and we must accommodate ourselves to it, and acquiesce in the will of God in it, and must learn to endure hardship. We frequently meet with crosses in the way of duty; and, though we must not pull them upon our own heads, yet, when they are laid for us, we must take them up, carry them after Christ, and make the best of them.
Matthew Henry

Luke 9:23-26
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. [24] For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. [25] For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away? [26] For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

Luke 14:25-27
And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, [26] If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. [27] And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 10:37-39
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. [38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. [39] He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Matthew 16:23-25
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
[24] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. [25] For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Mark 8:34-38
And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. [35] For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. [36] For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? [37] Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? [38] Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

John 12:25-26
He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. [26] If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Romans 8:12-13
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. [13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Col. 3:5-10
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: [6] For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: [7] In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. [8] But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. [9] Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; [10] And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

2 Tim. 3:12
Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Titus 2:11-14
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, [12] Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; [13] Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; [14] Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

2009/12/6 21:33Profile
elanham

Maryland

Quite interesting. I was perusing the School of Christ website and saw that Chris Brogden has a new book out entitled, "Embrace the Cross". I think your Question is the question of this present hour. The life of the Cross and its implication and application in the life of the believer has been continually in my mind for the last several months.

I believe the fundemental idea is to be willing to embrace a suffering even unto death that will eventuate in the Glory of God forever. That suffering can be experienced in a myriad of different ways. The willingness of the follower of Christ to bear up under a sufffering with magnanimity and patience is the expression of the manifold wisdom of God. This I believe is what taking up our Cross means for Christians.

We as human have a knee jerk reaction to suffering, to get away from it as fast as we can.
Many christians always try to rectify a situation when at times God wants them to endure patiently the injustice, the lack of reciprocation, the disrepect, the wrongful rebuke of another or any such thing. When we can endure these types of things without pouting inwardly then the Cross is accomplishing its work in us.

2009/12/6 21:55Profile
elanham

Maryland

Re:

We cant follow Christ without taking up our Cross. If we dont take up our Cross AND follow Christ we cant be His disciple and we are not worthy of Him. We can profess Christ without taking up our Cross. Yet we can not be His disciple. This is why some will say, Lord Lord did we not do such and such and they will be dismissed by God for not doing His will. It is of supreme importance that we learn to take up our Crosses. If we are following Christ He will lead us to death after death until we will be able to say with Paul, "It is no longer I that liveth but Christ that liveth in me.?

2009/12/6 22:01Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I think it synonymous with dying to yourself. I suggest reading what Watchman Nee had to say about this topic. God gave him such a revelation of this, and God used it to minister greatly to me.

2009/12/6 22:26Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: Love for God is the key.

Love of self and love of God are inversely proportional. The more you love God, the less you love yourself, for one must give way to the other. They cannot really coexist just as holiness cannot abide with sinfulness, and light cannot abide with darkness.

Dying to self is not of much value unless the reason for this is love for God. The command to "take up your cross daily and follow me" is closely connected to the greatest commandment to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength". Man's greatest weakness is his love for self, and there is no power that can make him give this up except a life-changing love for God. When this happens, the life is changed, the mind is renewed, and the person is born-again.

2009/12/6 22:51Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I noticed something recently while comparing the places where Jesus speaks about the cross, and the thing that stood out to me was Jesus says "deny yourself [b]and[/b] take up our cross and follow him" so even tho the two things are somewhat intertwined i came to the conclusion they are yet two distinct things, denying self is a form of cross, Paul mentions this also, but also i think the denying self is that which comes from our inside, the lust that flows out from our hearts, evil desires etc. The cross i think is that which comes from outside, die to your culture, die to your "Fathers" way of living, die to the world and the world system, die to our society's way of living. We have die and are raised with Christ. Living as members of heavens kingdom.

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; (1Pe 1:18 KJV)

..that he might deliver us from this present evil world.. (Gal 1:4 KJV)

1Co 7:23 You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.

I think the cross is to deny the world and its system that are trying to pull us in the direction the world goes, the cross is insanity, everything about the christian walk is foolishness o the unsaved people, the way we speak, live, bring up our children , our values, or goals for life, with what we are content with, its insane. To die on cross freely and happily is foolishness. So we kill our own inward lusts denying our own flesh that which is not Gods will for us, and we carry our cross in the opposite direction that the world rushes to.

One example is these christmas times we live in, go to a mall and watch the crasy world so swallowed up in materialism, buying and selling. What is this to a man carrying his cross?

the cross is something very real and practical that shows, and anyone who picks it up will be despised and ridiculed by the world and mocked.

2009/12/7 2:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy