SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Romans 10:17

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Romans 10:17

Chris, thank you for your detailed testimony. I appreciate how you explained it to answer my question, and also, I'm amazed at the detail you do remember. How wonderful (and how often!) we are 'hoist by our own petard' in the economy of God. Glory to His Name!

2009/12/7 7:02
rookie

Re:

Quote:
It was then that I heard God speak to me. It was simple and pure and undeniably from God (and not myself): "You don't know Me." This set off a release from deep within. I cried out to God over the next few hours as I poured my entire life out like water before Him.

I had a similar experience with God. I being raised up in the catholic church did not know the Scriptures. I had never read anything other than the sections of Scriptures that are read yearly in the Catholic mass.

About a week after this initial experience an old man came walking up my street who lived down at the end of the street. Again as I was working in my garden, this man invited me and our family to visit his church. We lived up in a small mountain community in southern California. The church was a small concervative Baptist church. It was there that I came to understand my need for a Savior.

About 2 months later I attended a Promise Keepers event in the Colesieum in LA. It was there that I responded to an altar call. I spent the next two weeks praising the Lord.

Thank you for sharing Brother Chris.

In Christ
Jeff

2009/12/7 10:20Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
It was real...undeniably supernatural...and I felt as scales (like Saul) had fallen from my spiritual eyes.

This reminded me of Job's experience...thru God's testing of Job, we find that Job was self righteous. At the end of this time of testing we have this testimony from Job......

Job 42:5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You.

Job 42:6 Therefore I abhor [myself], And repent in dust and ashes."

In Christ
Jeff

2009/12/7 10:36Profile

Re:

Shortly before I was saved, God spoke to me. I would frequently talk about Jesus in pubs when I was drunk. I had always believed in Jesus because of my mother who was a born again Christian, but I would not bow my knee. I had things I wanted to do(sin) and I always had it in my mind "one day." Of course, any time I talked about the Truth to my fellow drunks, I would inevitably get this remark at the conclusion "If that is the case, then how come your not a Christian." Ah, there was the rub.

Anyway, one night, as I lay in my bed, a vision came to me. I saw a man crawling through the desert, almost at death's door for lack of water. Suddenly the man sees a canteen of water in the distance. Not sure whether it was a mirage or not, he struggled and stumbled and fell forward towards the canteen. The closer he got he realised that it was real and began to rejoice that he would be saved. He fell upon the canteen , picked it up and immediately realized that it was empty. He cursed the canteen and threw it down. Then, the Lord spoke to me, I knew it was God, dont ask me why, but I knew it was God. He said " I would curse the canteen too, you are the canteen." That was it, it was not said with anger or malice, it was simply stated...........Frank

2009/12/7 12:24
rookie

Re:

Quote:
Anyway, one night, as I lay in my bed, a vision came to me. I saw a man crawling through the desert, almost at death's door for lack of water. Suddenly the man sees a canteen of water in the distance. Not sure whether it was a mirage or not, he struggled and stumbled and fell forward towards the canteen. The closer he got he realised that it was real and began to rejoice that he would be saved. He fell upon the canteen , picked it up and immediately realized that it was empty. He cursed the canteen and threw it down. Then, the Lord spoke to me, I knew it was God, dont ask me why, but I knew it was God. He said " I would curse the canteen too, you are the canteen." That was it, it was not said with anger or malice, it was simply stated...........Frank

Your testimony reminds me of this Scripture....

Job 33:15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, While slumbering on their beds,

Job 33:16 Then He opens the ears of men, And seals their instruction.

Job 33:17 In order to turn man [from his] deed, And conceal pride from man,

Job 33:18 He keeps back his soul from the Pit, And his life from perishing by the sword.

A vision, and that vision held back your pride.

In Christ
Jeff

2009/12/7 14:37Profile

Re:

HI Jeff, I think you may be right. He definately kept my soul from the pit. This happened the year before coming to Christ. A year in which I was stripped of every virtue I thought I had.........Frank

2009/12/7 16:53

Your replies have blessed me tremendously, especially because you are all so sure that it was God who spoke to you, and, that you were not born again at the time. This is what happened to Paul, on his way to Damascus, so we're in good company!

2009/12/7 17:45
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi rookie...

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Quote:
It was real...undeniably supernatural...and I felt as scales (like Saul) had fallen from my spiritual eyes.

This reminded me of Job's experience...thru God's testing of Job, we find that Job was self righteous. At the end of this time of testing we have this testimony from Job......

Job 42:5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You.

Job 42:6 Therefore I abhor [myself], And repent in dust and ashes."

Yes, I suppose that I can remember it so well because it was the most dramatic thing that had ever happened to me. In fact, I even became teary eyed as I read the words of my last post back to my wife. God is so good!

In fact, I am reminded about something that Brother Ravenhill said about people who weren't sure about when or where they met the Lord. He said something about whether or not you would know it if a heavy weight that you had carried your entire life had just fallen off of your back. That burden fell off of my back...and it was greatly apparent to me.

I can actually go back to that same place in that field (it was next to a large tree) where I passed from death to life. I remember just how "new" everything seemed after that! Life itself was brand new to me!

:-)

2009/12/7 20:48Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
In fact, I am reminded about something that Brother Ravenhill said about people who weren't sure about when or where they met the Lord. He said something about whether or not you would know it if a heavy weight that you had carried your entire life had just fallen off of your back. That burden fell off of my back...and it was greatly apparent to me.

This is so true! And like an older gospel song, "I never shall forget the day when all the burdens of my soul were washed away."

I know He hears you, I felt Him calling me in high school and I finally sat down on my bed and told Him, "Look God, Granny always taught me that we had to give up smoking, drinking and cussing and I can give those up but not pot, I LOVE smoking pot and I'm afraid if I give that up for You, when trouble comes I'll go back to it. So I need to quit for me and I'm not ready to quit." I never felt the unction to get saved again after that and I felt free to party like there was no tomorrow and I did.

Until approx 9 months to a year later, on Easter Sunday 1978, when i went b/c I promised my granny. Note that I had stopped smoking pot that previous weekend (my excuse was to get mind together) b/c I partied way too much.

I was sitting there and He literally spoke to me, "You quit for you." Fear struck my heart and I got all nervous thinking about my friends and my party lifestyle but I had to make up my mind b/c everything that came up (every argument), He told me it would work out. I could have sent Him away again, I'm sure of it. But when I said something to the effect of, "Alright, I'll get saved but you need to know that ah... if this doesn't work, I'm coming back." And a wonderful peace came over me (That was my sinner's prayer! LOL) but I still remember that He said, "OK!!" and it felt with a great smile, let "yeah try me!"

I could use a lot of Bible verses but this is my experience with the Lord of lords! If we have to be regenerated before God hears us, then He would not have heard my conversation with Him about loving to smoke pot and how I couldn't get saved. [b]Nor[/b] would He have had a conversation with me [b]BEFORE[/b] I gave my life to Him.

He has convinced me!

2009/12/8 6:43Profile

Quote:
Anyway, one night, as I lay in my bed, a vision came to me. I saw a man crawling through the desert, almost at death's door for lack of water. Suddenly the man sees a canteen of water in the distance. Not sure whether it was a mirage or not, he struggled and stumbled and fell forward towards the canteen. The closer he got he realised that it was real and began to rejoice that he would be saved. He fell upon the canteen , picked it up and immediately realized that it was empty. He cursed the canteen and threw it down. Then, the Lord spoke to me, I knew it was God, dont ask me why, but I knew it was God. He said " I would curse the canteen too, you are the canteen." That was it, it was not said with anger or malice, it was simply stated...........

Frank, this has been bugging me! First, thank you for sharing it. It really has taken me back to a sermon by George North which I heard many years ago, in which he asked us to consider the predicament of the woman at the well, being asked by Jesus for something to drink.

'If Jesus came to sit on your well, what would you have to give Him?' (If He asked you for a drink.) Very challenging!

What you expressed of the effort to get to the canteen, made me see again, just [i]how[/i] extended Christ was, to reach out to us with full salvation. Too often we assume it was easy for Him 'because He is God'; but humanly speaking, His journey was all uncharted, and He made it to prove His love for us, as much as to gain the reward of the everlasting Door in heaven, opened to receive returning sinners.

2009/12/8 14:21

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy