SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do pets go to Heaven?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

I found this topic interesting. Pets are not necessarily animals and birds. They could include reptiles and insects also. A pastor in New York loves pitbulls which I hate.

Do animals have souls? Do they have moral feelings? Do only dogs go to heaven? What about cats? Snakes surely are not permitted?!

2009/12/30 7:21
GospelBreath

Re: Do pets go to Heaven?

May the Lord give you comfort jmooney6. I don't know the answer, but I hope there is some provision the Lord has made for those of us that love our pets dearly, other than wiping away our tears and sorrow. We had the most amazing golden retriever, and his passing was like losing a child. He had a personality, emotions, etc. Sometimes I knew exactly what he was saying even though he never spoke (not in some new age way, just body language etc.). Since he died in my arms, and I saw the life leave his eyes, I tend to believe that animals do have a spirit, because something definitely left my dogs body when he died. I also tend to believe that animals have a soul (especially golden retrievers - just kidding) because of the emotion they display. Some will argue that. I don't know for sure, but it seems to be true. As to their eternal state, well the bible tells us that ALL creation cries out for the sons of God to be revealed, which leads me to believe that it is a good thing for creation that God's plans have their outworking, and that it doesn't mean their eternal demise. The problem with this question is that no one really knows. But I hope! We really miss our dog. He was noble and good, and God blessed us with a great treasure. If it is the Lord's way that I never get to connect with my dog again in eternity, I know it won't matter to me then, but it is sad to think of that part of God's creation being obliterated somehow.

I pray you obtain the peace that passes all understanding in your heart. I know how hard it is!

2010/1/1 13:38Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

We know that there are horses in heaven, why not other animals?

2010/1/1 13:55Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

:-) I hope no one takes offense, or vilifies me for this comment, but just to keep things in their proper perspective...

Though we are ordered to be kind to our animals, we should be realistic (Biblical) in how we look at them. Only man is God's special creation, everything else is...*ahem*...food.

[i]Ge 1:26-27 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."

Ge 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."[/i]

2010/1/1 15:05Profile

Re:

Quote:
Only man is God's special creation, everything else is...*ahem*...food.

Oh Leo, you wouldn't eat Fido or Fluffy would you?

I am bursting with laughter over your post and my reply.

2010/1/1 16:09
jmooney6

Re:

May God bless you all. The Lord has comforted me over the whole situation, and I've recovered rather quickly.

@Brother/Sister GospelBreath (pardon my ignorance), it seemed that my Gabby had more to her than a physical feathered body, like a soul or spirit, just as your Golden Retriever seemed to have one. She died in an incubator at the vet's clinic, so at least she was warm and comfortable in her passing. I still think about her sometimes; it's hard not to when a pet leaves such an impression on you.

@Brother Leo, I wouldn't imagine parakeet meat to be all that appetizing. ;)

@Brother Micah, you mentioned horses in Heaven. Since I'm still studying the NT, can you please point me to the passage where this is mentioned? :) Thank you and God Bless.

2010/1/2 1:36Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:
@Brother Micah, you mentioned horses in Heaven. Since I'm still studying the NT, can you please point me to the passage where this is mentioned? :) Thank you and God Bless.

[b]Revelation 19:11 (NKJV)[/b]

Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.

:-)

Another passage on horses in heaven that is more of a stretch in my opinion.

[b]2 Kings 2:11 (NKJV)[/b]

Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2010/1/2 2:32Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Do pets go to Heaven?

Bro,

Please read this story by appolus from 2/18/2008 and how God is glorified, I've kept record of it b/c it spoke to me...

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22334&forum=44]My Dog Died Today[/url]

2010/1/2 6:42Profile
jmooney6

Re:

@My Sister Lysa,

I got your PM, and I just read the story. I ended up with tears in my eyes and a bit of sorrow. I don't think it was so much my bird's passing this round, rather how much more I need Him, to please Him! Excellent post by Brother Appolus.

@My Brother Miccah,

I'm not sure yet if the horses of Revelation are literal or symbolic, but the verse from 2 Kings seems to indicate some manner of fiery horse-like creatures in Heaven. :) I'm going to read through the passages containing these verses to get a better understanding and of course pray on it.

Take care and God bless.

2010/1/3 4:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

This is a very touching story written by Frank - I loved it.

I, too, grew up with a variety of pets which included dogs, cats, a sheep, pigeon (a special one). They filled a void in my life. I was for five years an only child and animals filled that need for companionship and friendship. After I became a mom our children had a variety of pets as well that included a raccoon (my favorite). The only animals they were unable to tame was a squirrel and an opossum. Snakes were forbidden - by me!

I do not know whether animals that lived here on earth will go to heaven. This issue gets complicated: how about the beef I eat? the pork? the chicken? My brother made a pet out of a cow we had and it ended up at the meat processing plant. My husband used to have a pet chicken and it ended up in his mother's frying pan and it was eaten by the family....

Modern tree huggers are so infatuated with animal life they would never kill any animal, bird, insect or reptile because they feel it has a right to life. So where is the balance? I think the early Anabaptists had the right idea when they believed that animals should not be hunted for sport but only for food, that one should not kill for its own sake and allow it to rot like the early Americans did who hunted the bison almost to extinction.

It seems to me that one must be careful about our perception of animals that it will not rise to the level of fellow human beings. They are made by God for our use and enjoyment and that is all. To wish them to be in heaven - could this not be similar to wish that some of my favorite things will be in heaven as well? What if I were to wish that I could have a new Embroidery machine with lots of threads, stabilizers and fabrics in heaven? Or, how about my "Prayers and Promises" collection? I hate to see it burned up....Absurd? Why?

Have a blessed day, y'all! Now I must go feed our cats...

ginnyrose

2010/1/3 8:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy