SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God, Money, Ministry, Business ??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

God, Money, Ministry, Business ??

ok, this might open up a larger discussion and may split into two topics...

My thought is... can a Christian do "Ministry and Business" at the same time? Does God want us or our money do accomplish the work of God on the earth? If God just needs us, they why do we need to work and conduct a business/job for money?

What about the scripture about serving God and Money, and we can't do both? I'm wrestling with these thoughts...

I have a job, and a desire/calling for ministry, but can't seem to just "quit my job" and live without money...

thoughts?
Doug

2009/12/4 11:48Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: God, Money, Ministry, Business ??

One should understand that money itself is neither evil nor good. It becomes one or the other, depending upon your attitude towards it. It is the LOVE OF MONEY that causes harm.

[i]1Ti 6:10 For the [b]love of money[/b] is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.[/i]

Most of us must deal with money at one time or another, so we must guard our hearts lest we be drawn too much to it.

Whether earning money should or should not be part of your Christian walk really is a matter between you and God.

EDIT(addendum): Good example posted by Jimmy below. the Apostle Paul worked (earned money) and ministered at the same time to be able to support himself and not be a burden to others.

2009/12/4 12:08Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Doug,

I would encourage you to read Paul's farewell speech to the church at Ephesus. It's one of his major speeches in the Scriptures. Part of it reads:

Acts 20:32 "And now I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I have coveted no one's silver or gold or clothes. 34 You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my own needs and to the men who were with me. 35 In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

Also...

1 Thes. 2:8 For you recall, brethren, our labor and hardship, how working night and day so as not to be a burden to any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.

The apostle Paul worked "night and day" so as to be a blessing, rather than a financial burden upon the churches he helped plant. Though working around the clock, he still managed to plant dozens of churches within 20 or 30 years, and help raise them up. Granted, it looks like he ran his own business so as to allow a great deal of flexibility, and he probably earned just enough to get by for himself, and to bless others. But it is possible.

Truth be told, unless you are pastoring a church with several hundred people in it, it is very doubtful that you ever need to be in "full time" ministry. Zac Poonen is an elder at the church he founded, and has helped plant many other churches around the world, and gives some degree of oversight to these, yet he finds time to work a regular job. I don't know what it is he does for a living, but, it doesn't seem to get in the way of his ministry.

I would imagine to do it succesfully, and not burn out, and still have time to devote to one's family, one would have to work no more than 30-40 hours a week, depending on the needs of whatever congregation you are ministering in.

Right now, I'm attempting to work my way into a place where I can one day pastor/plant churches, and work a job. I've started my own one person web design company in hopes of this coming to pass one day. Presently though, I work 60 hours a week, and have hardly any time for ministry except on weekends. I'd like to be in the place where I don't have to work more than 35 hours a week, Lord willing.

2009/12/4 12:08Profile
PassingThru

Quote:
My thought is... can a Christian do "Ministry and Business" at the same time?

Not attacking anyone that lives from their ministry, but I think having an income that is detached from the ministry is a blessing as it means you are less tempted to "please the audience" instead of pleasing God.

The apostle Paul was a tent maker and earned his own living. He must have been very energetic to have been able to earn his own income and yet minister as he did. In compensation he didn't have a family so he probably didn't need a lot to live on.

On the other hand, Jesus sent out the disciples to heal & preach without an income. For that "crusade" he prohibited them to accumulate wealth.

It really boils down to what God wants you to do. Be careful of doing anything radical based on emotions or "words of knowledge" of an unproven "prophet".

PassingThru

*edit: corrected typo.

2009/12/4 12:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy