Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Doctrine of the Remnant

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Spitfire

Doctrine of the Remnant

I listened to A.W. Tozer's Doctrine of the Remnant today. I also listened to Leonard Ravenhill's A Three-Fold Vision. Tozer said that we should be disturbed. Ravenhill said, "there are millions of people in hell who said the sinner's prayer and were baptized. I tell you, I'm disturbed. Ravenhill told a story about one of England's worst criminals. He was finally caught and convicted, sentenced to die by hanging. He said that England has a law requiring a 3 week waiting period before executing someone in order to give them time to repent. He said many people went to the man during that time to try and convince him to repent. He jeered and scorned every one. Finally, on the last day, a priest went to him and was reading to him about hell. The man said to him, "if I believed what you Christians believe about hell, I would crawl across the whole earth on broken glass to save one person from it." That struck me so hard. I know I don't care like I should. I have family members who I know aren't saved. My Lord, I'm not sure I'm saved! The more I listen to this type of message, the more I realize I'm a candy-coated Christian! Tozer said that the mark which was to mark the remnant was to be applied only to those who are crying and groaning to God over the state of the world. I don't think I can do that until I cry and moan to God over the state of myself! I feel like screaming today! Oh God! Help us! I'm definetly disturbed! Oh God! Change me! Change our hearts. Help us to see like you see, Lord!

2004/9/28 15:41Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Doctrine of the Remnant

Quote:
I listened to A.W. Tozer's Doctrine of the Remnant today. I also listened to Leonard Ravenhill's A Three-Fold Vision. Tozer said that we should be disturbed. Ravenhill said, "there are millions of people in hell who said the sinner's prayer and were baptized. I tell you, I'm disturbed.

Sister Praise God you are an answer to Prayer!!! The Lord is working in peoples heart off this site and its not just the sermons or the setup. I am praying that God will literally take this site and use it as an tool to revive and CONVICT hearts in these last days. Your being shocked, disturbed, desperate is how all of us should feel brother. I thank you for your boldness to be plain before God and men and share your heart. Oh Lord yes change us all, convict all people that come to this site. Do an amazing work and we will give you all the glory, rather we do give you all the glory be glorfied Oh Lord. Shock people into service, into true Christianity, stagger us! Let us come desperately before you for this.

2004/9/29 0:40Profile
lwpray

Sweden

A BELIEVING REMNANT
Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. (Romans 11:5)
What is God trying to do with His believing people?—the Bible calls us a remnant according to grace, believers taken out of the great, teeming swarm of so-called religious people in today’s world.
I am inclined to join others in wondering if the Lord is postponing His coming because He is trying to get His Bride ready?
For years it has been the popular idea in evangelical Christianity that the whole body of believers in Christ would rise like a flock of frightened birds when the Lord comes. But A.B. Simpson and William MacArthur and others in the past generation said, “Oh no! The Lord will take with Him those who are prepared and ready for His coming!”
I do not presume to give an answer satisfying to every one in our churches. But I know that many Christians are too smug about this, saying in effect: “I am converted to Christ through grace, so I can live as I please!”
Of some things we cannot be dogmatic; but we know this for sure—God has no halfway house between heaven and hell where He takes us to fumigate us!

Dr. Tozer

2004/9/29 2:31Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
My Lord, I'm not sure I'm saved! The more I listen to this type of message, the more I realize I'm a candy-coated Christian! Tozer said that the mark which was to mark the remnant was to be applied only to those who are crying and groaning to God over the state of the world.

I am still blown away by your comments, it is so true. The words spoken in this sermon by dear brother Tozer speak to a truth that when grasped will leave little room to argue the validity of our walk with God. I encourage everyone to listen to these recordings:

[b][url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=5008]Doctrine of The Remnant - Part 1[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=5009]Doctrine of The Remnant - Part 2[/url][/b]

[b]Daniel 12:10[/b] - Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

2004/9/29 10:58Profile
Spitfire

Re: Not sure

Dear Bro. Greg,
I appreciate you. What you said about the challege that is presented by the undiluted gospel is true. It has pressed me into a corner concerning all the areas of my life where I compromise. It has left me quite undone. Now, I'm in that state of shock and horror, knowing that God and God alone can help me. I know that, right now, we are all just faceless people coming to one another in words, but I want everyone to know who visits Sermonindex that the message that is coming forth here has left me undone at this moment. I feel an excitement in my spirit at what is coming next, but at the same time, I'm scared. I'm scared, because I know I can't live the "old" way anymore, and I don't know how I'm going to do something else. Does that make sense? Love, Dian.

2004/9/30 9:03Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Quote:
Does that make sense?

Yes.

Interestingly have been listening to Tozer's series
on Revelation, but this has me intrigued and will have to give it my attention today.

Wish I could recall correctly without mangling a quote I picked up somewhere that in a sense the awesomeness of God has us alternately wanting to 'run' from Him yet the only safe place is to run TO Him...something to that effect. Don't want to misuse or mis-define the word 'fear'. But is it not interesting in the scriptures to find that when the saints are confronted by Holiness their reaction is just that, fear...
But more telling than that is always the admonishen; "Don't fear"

Quote:
knowing that God and God alone can help me.

True words.

2004/9/30 9:56Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This is timely:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2620&forum=34]WAITING ON GOD[/url]

(See #10)

2004/9/30 9:59Profile
moreofHim

Re: undone

Dian, what you've said here so much reminds me of a song by Shane B. from one of his earlier c.d.s:

Salvation Still Remains

i prayed You'd search my heart
and search my heart You did
corrosion fills these walls
seclusions fills my head

inside this quiet room
i feel like i've been removed
from the book that bears my name
salavtion still remains

i'm so alone without my home
i'm ashamed to call Your name

alone in this place
i saw who i am
disgusted with myself
i found my fear of God

the peace that has no words
reigns down on this place
such an undeserving soul
what an overwhelming Face.

-Shane Barnard

Being undone is a wonderful thing (bittersweet). Nothing can be restored without first being undone. Look forward to a wonderful restoration.

"Teach me to walk in Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And I will glorify Your name forever more." Ps. 86:11-12

Surrendered to Him, Chanin

2004/9/30 10:39Profile
Rahman

Sister Dian you wrote;

Quote;
Now, I'm in that state of shock and horror, knowing that God and God alone can help me......
I feel an excitement in my spirit at what is coming next, but at the same time, I'm scared. I'm scared, because I know I can't live the "old" way anymore, and I don't know how I'm going to do something else. Does that make sense?

Well to me sister Dian it makes all the sense in the world ...

The Holy Ghost, via my pastor last Sunday, gave a wonderful sermon about the 10 lepers ...

Luke.17
[11] And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.
[12] And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
[13] And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
[14] And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.
[15] And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,
[16] And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
[17] And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
[18] There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
[19] And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.

The Spirit pointed out that these poor, shunned, disease ridden, beggars, when they saw Jesus, knew instantly that tho unworthy, He was there only means of help ... And so they cried out! ...

Pastor went on to preach how we should all notice that Jesus did no fanfare with the lepers, He didn't ask them if they wanted to be healed, nor did He stop and heal them right there on the spot, but made only this one simple statement, "Go shew yourselves unto the priests" ... And immediately, with no other personal assurances or visible signs by Christ, the lepers began hobbling off towards the Temple at Jerusalem, and then the scripture continues with this wondorous little phrase "as they went, they were cleansed" ...

If you've truly accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, as your only means to being made right with the Father, by being covered in His sanctifying shed blood on Calvary's cross, to the remission of your sins, then you are saved ... But the "leprosy" of our prior Christian life, the "leprosy" of our old man, of our old carnal sin nature, now that's a different story ... And that story has to do with our Christian walk toward Jesus, for not only is our Lord the Master of our own initial individual spiritual salvation when along our road He met us, and we called out to Him for Mercy, but He is also our High Priest in heaven that we're supposed to be walking toward in our subsequent earthly Christian walk ... The Hebrews writers words below gives me Holy Ghost chills every time i read them ...

Heb. 4:
[14] Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
[15] For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
[16] Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

The initial salvation experience is the easier part, for when we're diseased and dirty, and most in need of miraculous life saving spiritual healing, He meets us along our road, we recognize Him as our only hope of salvation, we cry out for mercy, He grants His initial recognition just on our call alone, then tells us to come even further to Him, by faith, by spiritually walking toward Him also as our High Priest, and as we do so we get better, and better, and better as we go ... And over a period of time you'll begin to discover, that the closer your walk towards our Priest, BY FAITH, the healthier, and healthier, and healthier you'll become spiritually ... i've been saved for 25 years, and i can tell you as a witness that my own personal leprosy is no where near as awful as it was when i first met Christ on the road in 1979 ... In fact i can also tell you that what was once a slow painful hobble in this walk, eventually became a slow walk, then a stride, oft times a power walk, and even at times a full out run, toward our Priest ... And i do look forward to that day where i can personally thank Him in glory for my full, 100%, clean bill of health from ALL symptoms of my spiritual leprosy contagioned from Adam ...

But in the meanwhile, as i pray you, and all other saints of God still on this low road toward heavenly Jerusalem, that we all thank Him everyday for bringing us this far by faith ... To this point of where we know we're not as well as we're gonna be, but praise His Holy name we're no where as sick as we once were ...

Sister Dian, you said;

Quote;
I don't know how I'm going to do something else.

My tried and tested advice to you ... Keep on walking toward the Light ... Keep on walking toward Jesus, and you'll not have to be concerned about "how" to do something else, because you'll already be doing it! ...

God bless you sis! ... And one of these good old bright days you'll look into your spiritual mirror, and that reflected ugliness of ourselves that made us all call out to the Master in the first place will be gone! ... All you got to do is keep on walking toward Him (in deed and study), praising Him daily for each days continual improvement! ...

Be excited! ... for your heartset most assuredly has our God excited about you! ... Amen

2004/9/30 12:38Profile
Spitfire

Re:

You know guys, I've been meditating on these matters today. I mentioned yesterday that I listened to Tozer and Ravenhill. I listened to Ravenhill again today (the Annaheim talk and also Getting Alone With God.) I think was Tozer yesterday said he settles some things with God. He said he has come to certain agreements with God. He even said that he told the Lord, if I go to hell, I'll be the loudest voice there proclaiming what a wonderful God you are! He'll have a mighty tough battle on his hands, is all I can say, cause if he goes to hell, then, I know I am and I'm gonna give him a run for his money! Thanks to all of you for your uplifting words and prayers. I love you all. Dian.

2004/9/30 17:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy