SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Scripture Alone Disproves "Scripture Alone"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Scripture Alone Disproves "Scripture Alone"

Scripture Alone Disproves "Scripture Alone"

Gen. to Rev. - Scripture never says that Scripture is the sole infallible authority for God's Word. Scripture also mandates the use of tradition. This fact alone disproves sola Scriptura.

Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15 - those that preached the Gospel to all creation but did not write the Gospel were not less obedient to Jesus, or their teachings less important.

Matt. 28:20 - "observe ALL I have commanded," but, as we see in John 20:30; 21:25, not ALL Jesus taught is in Scripture. So there must be things outside of Scripture that we must observe. This disproves "Bible alone" theology.

Mark 16:15 - Jesus commands the apostles to "preach," not write, and only three apostles wrote. The others who did not write were not less faithful to Jesus, because Jesus gave them no directive to write. There is no evidence in the Bible or elsewhere that Jesus intended the Bible to be sole authority of the Christian faith.

Luke 1:1-4 - Luke acknowledges that the faithful have already received the teachings of Christ, and is writing his Gospel only so that they "realize the certainty of the teachings you have received." Luke writes to verify the oral tradition they already received.

John 20:30; 21:25 - Jesus did many other things not written in the Scriptures. These have been preserved through the oral apostolic tradition and they are equally a part of the Deposit of Faith.

Acts 8:30-31; Heb. 5:12 - these verses show that we need help in interpreting the Scriptures. We cannot interpret them infallibly on our own. We need divinely appointed leadership within the Church to teach us.

Acts 15:1-14 – Peter resolves the Church’s first doctrinal issue regarding circumcision without referring to Scriptures.

Acts 17:28 – Paul quotes the writings of the pagan poets when he taught at the Aeropagus. Thus, Paul appeals to sources outside of Scripture to teach about God.

1 Cor. 5:9-11 - this verse shows that a prior letter written to Corinth is equally authoritative but not part of the New Testament canon. Paul is again appealing to a source outside of Scripture to teach the Corinthians. This disproves Scripture alone.

1 Cor. 11:2 - Paul commends the faithful to obey apostolic tradition, and not Scripture alone.

Phil. 4:9 - Paul says that what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do. There is nothing ever about obeying Scripture alone.

Col. 4:16 - this verse shows that a prior letter written to Laodicea is equally authoritative but not part of the New Testament canon. Paul once again appeals to a source outside of the Bible to teach about the Word of God.

1 Thess. 2:13 – Paul says, “when you received the word of God, which you heard from us..” How can the Bible be teaching first century Christians that only the Bible is their infallible source of teaching if, at the same time, oral revelation was being given to them as well? Protestants can’t claim that there is one authority (Bible) while allowing two sources of authority (Bible and oral revelation).

1 Thess. 3:10 - Paul wants to see the Thessalonians face to face and supply what is lacking. His letter is not enough.

2 Thess. 2:14 - Paul says that God has called us "through our Gospel." What is the fullness of the Gospel?

2 Thess. 2:15 - the fullness of the Gospel is the apostolic tradition which includes either teaching by word of mouth or by letter. Scripture does not say "letter alone." The Catholic Church has the fullness of the Christian faith through its rich traditions of Scripture, oral tradition and teaching authority (or Magisterium).

2 Thess 3:6 - Paul instructs us to obey apostolic tradition. There is no instruction in the Scriptures about obeying the Bible alone (the word "Bible" is not even in the Bible).

1 Tim. 3:14-15 - Paul prefers to speak and not write, and is writing only in the event that he is delayed and cannot be with Timothy.

2 Tim. 2:2 - Paul says apostolic tradition is passed on to future generations, but he says nothing about all apostolic traditions being eventually committed to the Bible.

2 Tim. 3:14 - continue in what you have learned and believed knowing from whom you learned it. Again, this refers to tradition which is found outside of the Bible.

James 4:5 - James even appeals to Scripture outside of the Old Testament canon ("He yearns jealously over the spirit which He has made...")

2 Peter 1:20 - interpreting Scripture is not a matter of one's own private interpretation. Therefore, it must be a matter of "public" interpretation of the Church. The Divine Word needs a Divine Interpreter. Private judgment leads to divisions, and this is why there are 30,000 different Protestant denominations.

2 Peter 3:15-16 - Peter says Paul's letters are inspired, but not all his letters are in the New Testament canon. See, for example, 1 Cor. 5:9-10; Col. 4:16. Also, Peter's use of the word "ignorant" means unschooled, which presupposes the requirement of oral apostolic instruction that comes from the Church.

2 Peter 3:16 - the Scriptures are difficult to understand and can be distorted by the ignorant to their destruction. God did not guarantee the Holy Spirit would lead each of us to infallibly interpret the Scriptures. But this is what Protestants must argue in order to support their doctrine of sola Scriptura. History and countless divisions in Protestantism disprove it.

1 John 4:1 - again, God instructs us to test all things, test all spirits. Notwithstanding what many Protestants argue, God's Word is not always obvious.

1 Sam. 3:1-9 - for example, the Lord speaks to Samuel, but Samuel doesn't recognize it is God. The Word of God is not self-attesting.

1 Kings 13:1-32 - in this story, we see that a man can't discern between God's word (the commandment "don't eat") and a prophet's erroneous word (that God had rescinded his commandment "don't eat"). The words of the Bible, in spite of what many Protestants must argue, are not always clear and understandable. This is why there are 30,000 different Protestant churches and one Holy Catholic Church.

Gen. to Rev. - Protestants must admit that knowing what books belong in the Bible is necessary for our salvation. However, because the Bible has no "inspired contents page," you must look outside the Bible to see how its books were selected. This destroys the sola Scriptura theory. The canon of Scripture is a Revelation from God which is necessary for our salvation, and which comes from outside the Bible. Instead, this Revelation was given by God to the Catholic Church, the pinnacle and foundation of the truth (1 Tim. 3:15).

2009/12/3 23:31
HeartSong

Re: Scripture Alone Disproves "Scripture Alone"

Quote:
Protestants must admit that knowing what books belong in the Bible is necessary for our salvation.

The only "thing" necessary for our salvation is Jesus Christ.

2009/12/4 0:13Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Hey, didn't you just get banned? Hmm... seriously dude, go away. Nobody cares to hear anything you have to say here. You are simply spamming the forum. You might as well send out unsolicited bulk e-mail. If your position is right, then the Lord told you to shake the dust off your feet in protest of us and leave. I really wish you'd obey Him in this one instance.

2009/12/4 0:25Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

KingJimmy wrote:

Quote:

If your position is right, then the Lord told you to shake the dust off your feet in protest of us and leave.

Not possible, that means that he would be following *gasp* ... scripture.

2009/12/4 1:00Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

I have never seen such blatant misuse and distortion of Scripture as what has been written in the opening post by a person who clearly does not love God despite the forum ID he chose. Anyone who truly loved God would loathe such lies and deceptions. It's just a list of random Scripture references with nonsense attached to each one.

[i]Dt 4:2 "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you."

Pr 30:5-6 “Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar."

Rev 22:18-19 "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

2Co 4:2 "Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God."

Jn 8:44 [color=CC3300]"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."[/color][/i]

2009/12/4 1:05Profile
MaryJane

Re:

TO lovethyGod,

I am praying for you. You are lost in a false and pagan religion and you do not even see it. One day you will stand before God and who will you turn to mary? She can not save you, only Christ Jesus can and does save those who repent and submit their lives unto Him. All your traditions will be of little comfort to you if you continue in the practice of the RCC.

Jesus alone saves, Jesus alone is the way the truth and the light. There is no other name by which we are saved. I pray that you will come to know the Lord before it is to late. I pray that you will see your need for Jesus and come to know Him as Lord.

Maryjane

2009/12/4 1:21Profile
HeartSong

Dear Father, draw "lovethyGod" unto Thyself O Lord. Set him apart and reveal unto him all that Thou art There are so very many souls that are perishing and the darkness is great upon the land. The people are deceived and are perishing for lack of knowledge. They are perishing from the lack of knowledge of Thee O Lord. Awaken him O Lord, and bring him home unto Thee. I ask this in the precious name of Jesus.

2009/12/4 1:22Profile

Re:

Quote:
by KingJimmy on 2009/12/3 21:25:04 Hey, didn't you just get banned? Hmm... seriously dude, go away. Nobody cares to hear anything you have to say here. You are simply spamming the forum. You might as well send out unsolicited bulk e-mail. If your position is right, then the Lord told you to shake the dust off your feet in protest of us and leave. I really wish you'd obey Him in this one instance.

KJ,

It wasn't the folks I was discussing things with that "banned" me from the forum. It was the COWARD of a moderator who couldn't logically, reasonably, or Scripturally refute my position. He must have been afraid that his heresy was being found out.

As to your obviously false claim that "Nobody cares to hear anything you have to say here", I don't think I've had so many responses in such a short time as in this comeback post.

If you don't care, YOU need to follow the advice of the Saviour.

There are many more than you here. Don't presume to speak for everyone else.

2009/12/4 3:01
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Don't you realise, it's not your website?

Why not start your own website? Then you can argue all you want.

Just a suggestion.

2009/12/4 4:38Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

lovethyGod wrote:
Quote:
by KingJimmy on 2009/12/3 21:25:04 Hey, didn't you just get banned? Hmm... seriously dude, go away. Nobody cares to hear anything you have to say here. You are simply spamming the forum. You might as well send out unsolicited bulk e-mail. If your position is right, then the Lord told you to shake the dust off your feet in protest of us and leave. I really wish you'd obey Him in this one instance.

KJ,

It wasn't the folks I was discussing things with that "banned" me from the forum. It was the COWARD of a moderator who couldn't logically, reasonably, or Scripturally refute my position. He must have been afraid that his heresy was being found out.

As to your obviously false claim that "Nobody cares to hear anything you have to say here", I don't think I've had so many responses in such a short time as in this comeback post.

If you don't care, YOU need to follow the advice of the Saviour.

There are many more than you here. Don't presume to speak for everyone else.

KingJimmy speaks for every regular member in this forum. We don't want deceivers here. Anyone who teaches that God's word is insufficient is a deceiver. Either repent or leave.

The only reason why we respond to your ridiculous posts is because they are dangerous and must be openly refuted. We'd prefer they weren't posted at all.

2009/12/4 8:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy