Discussion Forum : General Topics : Scripture Memorization List

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

When that happens, live in that passage for a little while and commit it to memory.

Well, that's how I remember most verses I know today. But, I would like to be more disciplined and systematic in my approach. I have a pretty good command of the Scriptures, and have thought about going through a lot of major passages and selecting a lot of key verses from those passages to memorize. This is a bit tasking though, and I don't feel like reinventing the wheel if I can avoid it, as I don't have much free time :-)

2009/12/3 18:34Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

ersonally, I like to memorize whole books of the Bible and I do 3 verses a day and have committed significant portions of the New Testament and the Psalms to heart in this manner

I tried to do that once many years ago. I set to memorize the book of James, and about a month later I finally memorized the first chapter. It seemed like such an overload for me, and non-fruitful, as there are simply some things in James 1 that really aren't in need to memorize. However, I wouldn't mind doing things like memorizing Psalm 1, or Isaiah 53, etc.

I think right now it would be most profitable for me to memorize a few hundred "key verses" over the course of the next year or so, and simply build from there.

2009/12/3 18:39Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Scripture Memorization List

Here are some ideas I've done at different times in my life!! Some are crazy but they worked at the time!

I made my own lists or got them from my pastor from what he taught on. I have written verses on an index card and carried 4 or 5 around with me. In the 90's, I even went as far as writing a verse out on a whole piece of paper (kind of large lettering) and taping the sheet of paper to my ceiling right above where I slept so when I rolled over in the morning it was the first thing I saw!! I have had index cards taped all over my house, from my bathroom mirror and on the cabinet right above the coffee maker!

(edit: but worked best was just reading the word and the Holy Spirit speaking to me through a Scripture. Sometimes, we are so bent on reading theology, apologetics, etc that we forget to just sit down and read His word like a bride who can't wait to read what their Bridegroom has written to them!! I am guilty of this as well.)

God bless you on this holy endeaver no matter what you use!

2009/12/3 19:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

This chapter ranks among my favorites. It is so rich, so profound, so beautiful.

ginnyrose

2009/12/3 20:57Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Looks to me like the general consensus is....Yes, memorize scripture! 8-)

2009/12/4 18:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy