SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : why is gluttony ok with so many Christians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

growingholly wrote:
i had a question, also: someone had posted about some sins being lower on the scale...can you show me that in the Word? I have seen in Scripture that sin is sin and all are vile against such a perfect God. all our sins defile the precious Blood. i don't mean to be rude or anything, please don't take it that way! :)

John 19:11

With care in Christ...

2009/12/6 13:31Profile
growingholly

Re:

to my sweet, wonderful, dear, BEAUTIFUL MaryJane...i was so sad to read you had been taught like that, wow...i'm so sorry. wow. i totally have experienced that also. it is horrid. oh, for Godly men to stand up and see Godliness as beauty!! i know many on this site do, and i love that!! :) dear, dear MaryJane...you are so lovely! i know it as your sister. :)

taylor: thank you so much! much love to you. but it seems from the text in john's gospel that Christ was comparing pilate and judas, no? judas was guilty of a greater sin because he knew Jesus and pilate did not...to me, in that chapter it is like when one of us sins versus someone sinning who does not know the Lord. both are sin, yes, but our sins are worse because we truly know Who it is we choose to sin against. while every man knows sin is sin, we have a much keener understanding. judas had walked with Jesus 3 years at that point. pilate just thought He was some guy that happened upon some drama involving the jews. therefore judas was guilty of a greater sin. i say this with a heavy heart as i think upon my own sin. i do hope not to be disrespectful, hopefully you know that i hold you in high regard! :) but that seems the issue in that passage. (i think of peter's (?) letter later when he is talking about trampling the Blood underfoot, continuing in sin). God help us all...wow, just writing these words is so convicting...let us lift one another up continually.

2009/12/6 22:16Profile
growingholly

Re:

just thinking on this today...i fully believe a wife should look amazing for her husband. behind closed doors. :) there just isn't any reason for any OTHER man to know her body features. men were designed by God to be visual, and that is beautiful in relation to the marriage bed. but if a clergy member tells his congregants that women should show off their beauty in public, he's quite wrong.

love you all, you are all beautiful to me! :)

2009/12/8 22:52Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,cause we get hungry...have to eat... thirsty dont have to drink booze...broke dont have to steal...embarassed dont have to lie...successful dont have to brag.jimp

2009/12/9 4:30Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
i had a question, also: someone had posted about some sins being lower on the scale...can you show me that in the Word?

I am jumping in here not having read the entire thread...but would like to comment on this quote.

Check out 1 Corinthians 6:18 and read it in its context. This verse would indicate that some sins are more difficult to repent from then others and harder to deal with. Observation agrees.

Just thought I would throw this is for your consideration.

ginnyrose

2009/12/10 10:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

After posting this I thought that an explantion might be in order...

As many of your know I have worked at a CPC for many years. Most of our clients were adulterers and fornicators. We learned a lot from them and for that I am grateful: it reinforces the validity of the WORD.

We also learned things that were not in our training manuals nor were they things one sees often and this bring me to one incident I personally encountered.

I had a client who was shacking with a male that was heavily involved in the occult. Trust me: she shared this info in detail. Anyhow, she stank like something awful! It smelled up the whole place. She was not a dirty person nor a filthy one. It was unlike anything we/I had ever encountered. Upon further investigation, we learned that having sex with someone who is possessed with demons [i]could[/i] infect the person with a foul odor. Not always, but could and does on occasion. If this is the case and the recipient has been infected with a demon you have a greater problem then mere fornication: fornication could be the evidence of demon possession. Not always, but could on occasion.

Just thought I would share this insight - this has nothing to do with gluttony, I know; it has to do with some sins being worse then others. In the sight of God sis is sin but some are harder to repent from and live in victory then others.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/12/10 10:57Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: further thoughts on gluttony Luke 10:7 & 8

Having read this thread, while reading in the Gospel of Luke today, this stood out to me.

Luke 10:7 & 8

Quote:
from Matthew Henry's Commentary "Be not nice and curious in your diet: Eat and drink such things as they give (v. 7), such things as are set before you, v. 8. Be thankful for plain food, and do not find fault, though it be not dressed according to art." It ill becomes Christ's disciples to be desirous of dainties. As he has not tied them up to the Pharisees' superstitious fasts, so he has not allowed the luxurious feasts of the Epicureans. Probably, Christ here refers to the traditions of the elders about their meat which were so many that those who observed them were extremely critical, you could hardly set a dish of meat before them, but there was some scruple or other concerning it; but Christ would not have them to regard those things, but eat what was given them, asking no question for conscience' sake.

I have been giving this much thought lately, since my husband has been diagnosed with diabetes. It seems the 'simpler' the meal the less carbs and the healthier it is.

Most food offered to the poor from Food Pantries is 100% carbohydrates/sugar.

For a time in our lives we had no choice but to live upon biscuits & applebutter or pancakes and syrup. It was cheap and filled the belly. After a few months on this 'starvation' diet some people who had seen us before then saw the new, fattened, version and commented, 'Well, at least we know you haven't been starving.' How sad that comment made me feel and I thought of the scripture, 'having eyes they do not see.' I try to not judge people by their size for that reason.

white stone

2009/12/11 12:03Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Awesome post White_stone!

Thank you for sharing this, really touched my heart:-)

In Him
wind_blows

2009/12/11 12:07Profile

Re: why is gluttony ok with so many Christians?

you're right there is a double standard in christianity because we deal with people.

It shouldn't be that way. And a sin should be a sin.

What are some things we can do about this so that we're not one of those guys that are just convicted and don't do anything about it.

2010/3/28 23:53

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy