SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : why is gluttony ok with so many Christians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
growingholly

why is gluttony ok with so many Christians?

it is a vile sin of the flesh, just like sex outside marriage or addiction or anything else. i speak from experience as one who used to swim in gluttony and am still tempted daily by it.

i want to know why we don't speak more on this.

why are there obese men preaching/leading churches? if they cheated on their wives, they'd be disciplined. if they showed up drunk, they'd be disciplined.

i'm very sad about this. can anyone explain this?

2009/12/1 20:06Profile

Re: why is gluttony ok with so many Christians?

Quote:
I want to know why we don't speak more on this.

We have been conditioned to believe that it's not that bad because it's not that offensive to others. Adultery, fornication, homosexuality, those are all bad sins, according to our thinking. But compulsive eating is near the bottom of the list of bad sins. The next one up from that is a little white lie.

That is just the way we think. I mean I am talking to the choir, I love food. I am a bread connoisseur. I love grain breads, and cinnamon rolls, Oh man, talk about delicious. I mean it's been along time since I've been on an extensive fast and by looking at me you would think that I have never fasted. :-P But that time is coming.

I have met more overweight Pentecostals than any other fundamentalist group. I think we have this eating disorder is because it's replacing another addiction. When we stop smoking or delivered from it, what do we tend to do? Eat! Not just eat, but eat like there is no tomorrow. No excuse mind you.

2009/12/1 20:19
Leo_Grace

Quote:
i want to know why we don't speak more on this.

We should. But it's hard because almost everyone is overweight, and some have gone way past the overweight marker. Self-indulgence in eating to the point of compromising one's health is a sin.

2009/12/1 21:06Profile

Re:

We can be thin and still gluttons.

Some sins are more serious than others.

Gluttony is " lower" on the scale.

So I would recommend that you could start a ministry or newsletter.

However, I would also recommend you pray for wisdom so that you don't create a new law or legalism

2009/12/1 21:26
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

I've wondered the same thing for a long time. I was a professing Christian who used to smoke. It was something I struggled with and wanted to quit doing but just would not actually do what I needed to do to stop. It used to make me so mad to see some morbidly obese preacher yell at me, or anyone, that I should not smoke when they needed help walking up the platform. I'd go out and smoke 2 at a time. I saw a very well known evangelist, who often preached against smoking, sit in a tex-mex restaurant and eat bowls of queso (melted cheese) with a spoon. What is the difference in the two? Nothing except that one is accepted in the church and the other isn't. Now, I don't smoke anymore, and I surely don't think it's ok. But neither do I think that gluttony is ok either.

Everything is important, and anything can be a sin. We must preach against it all. If it's a sin we must confront it.

That being said I think the biggest issue in the Church is not smoking, drinking, gluttony, or any of the "big" sins. The biggest issue with the Church is apathy. If someone is living in what we know to be sin it is our job to confront it in a loving yet firm way. It just may be that they do not realize it is, in fact, a sin. May we be like Paul who saw it his job 'to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.'(Acts 26:18) There is a lot that Christians are turning a blind eye to, gluttony certainly being one of them.

2009/12/1 22:27Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Just because you see a large person it does not mean they are guilty of the sin of gluttony. I know of a older lady who has hypothyroid problems, and even with medication and diet she is unable to drop off the weight. At the same time I know several extremely thin people who over eat, never gain any weight and then go on to brag about it. Not all over weight people eat because they are gluttonous or even like food. For many there are under lying issue of sin that must be dealt with that does not even actually involve food. I know for many its hard to stop smoking, or drinking but dieing to a food addiction is just as difficult. Its not as if you can just stop eating altogether, you have to still eat. As someone who has struggled with eating disorder I can tell you that the pressure from the world to be thin and the obsession with being thin is just as sinful and deadly as gluttony is. The focus needs to be on Christ and doing all things unto Him, even when it comes to what we eat or how much we eat.

God Bless
mj

2009/12/1 23:04Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Maybe they are just big boned.?.? 8-)

2009/12/1 23:36Profile
kathleen1

it's a lack of understanding and preaching of the cross of Christ beloved...overindulging the flesh (Rom 13:14 says make no provision for it at all) is wrong. But in order to overcome it we need the power of the Holy Spirit and so few are willing to or recognize the need to tarry in His Presence to get this power to overcome. Remember, in Philp 3:18-19 Paul warned them about those who were enemies of the Cross of the Christ, whose god was their bellies-and that word for bellies (which is figurative for the heart (Jer 17:9-which is desperately wicked and deceitful above all things)..but beloved, in order to so throughly deny self we must see Someone or something we desire more...and only the Holy Spirit can so show us Christ. This is the hardest truth in the Christian life. It must be ministered only under the direction of the Spirit..To better understand this, I would highly recommend reading [url=http://timnkat1.tripod.com/id175.html]The Pathway To An Overcoming Life-BH Clendennen[/url]. There are 20 lessons here. Each one is short but powerful. It is something we cannot do ourselves. To overcome ourself we must have power from on high.

Remember, the body of the believer is the temple, the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. The body is merely to serve the life of the Lord Jesus Christ on the inside. That body Mary gave Jesus was used to serve the life and purpose of the Father..and as He was in the world so are we to be. How desperately we need the Holy Spirit, beloved.

2009/12/4 5:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
That being said I think the 'biggest' issue in the Church is not smoking,

Pun intended? :-P

2009/12/4 11:08
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Re:

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
Quote:
That being said I think the 'biggest' issue in the Church is not smoking,

Pun intended? :-P

Too funny. I wish I had done it on purpose, but I had to read it a number of times before I figured out what you were talking about. Must be getting tired.

2009/12/4 23:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy