SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : All for one. One for all.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
imnowhere

All for one. One for all.

We entered into a discussion this weekend over James 2:10.

Who can explain specifically how breaking one command makes you guilty of all?

If you're pulled over for a speeding ticket and in turn charged with tax evasion, mail fraud, purgery and everything else, how do you explain this?

I'm looking for an explanation specifically of how one broken command equals the breaking of them all.

I have an idea, but I'd like to hear what others' think.

2009/11/30 17:54Profile
live4jc

Re: All for one. One for all.

Hey there,

Not totally sure whether this is the correct answer. But I'll give it a shot....

I think of it in terms of the 'capacity to break all laws' once we have 'broken any law' (In other words when we are a sinner and therefore have a sinful nature...we are a 'law breaker by nature')

Just a few thoughts :-)

In Jesus,

John

2009/11/30 19:05Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi imnowhere...

Have you considered that the Law really comes down to two commands? You should love the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind, soul and strength. The second is like the first in that you should love your neighbor as yourself.

If you break any single command of the Law, you are really guilty of breaking the Law itself -- especially in regard to the essence of the Law as described by these two principles.

Just a thought.

2009/11/30 19:16Profile
imnowhere

Re:

Both interesting replies. My thoughts were more along the 'capacity' reply but the other one rings noteworthy as well.

It seems as its a 'legal' type verse, saying we've broken all if we've broken one. It doesn't say 'it's like' we've broken all either, but rather that we 'have'.

I also think that a good understanding of this verse and the reason it's true would help in defending the guilt of mankind before God to those that downplay or whitewash their sins.

Being guilty of 'all' the law before God is a sobering fact.

But how?

2009/12/1 12:56Profile
Leo_Grace

Perhaps a clearer meaning can be obtained by taking the verse in its context: Favoritism is forbidden, or more precisely, it is against God's law to favor the rich over the poor.

[i]Jas 2:1-13 "My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don’t show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to whom you belong?

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!"[/i]

Verse 10 was written to emphasize the gravity of committing the sin of discrimination against the poor. In essence James was saying that if you show favoritism towards the rich, it is as if you committed murder or adultery -- it is just as abhorrent to the Lord who will judge you. There is no such thing as a "little" sin.

2009/12/1 15:02Profile
imnowhere

Re:

Quote:
In essence James was saying that if you show favoritism towards the rich, it is as if you committed murder or adultery -- it is just as abhorrent to the Lord who will judge you. There is no such thing as a "little" sin.

But James doesn't say, 'it is as if' you broke them all. He says you 'did'. That's a big difference. It's not hypothetical, its reality.

2009/12/2 10:05Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

imnowhere wrote:
Quote:
In essence James was saying that if you show favoritism towards the rich, it is as if you committed murder or adultery -- it is just as abhorrent to the Lord who will judge you. There is no such thing as a "little" sin.

But James doesn't say, 'it is as if' you broke them all. He says you 'did'. That's a big difference. It's not hypothetical, its reality.

Read the other verses connected and tell me what they mean.

[i]For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.[/i]

2009/12/2 11:08Profile
imnowhere

Re:

You posted them, feel free to tell me what they mean.

How does the verse you posted change the fact that James didn't say 'it's as if' you broke them all, but rather you have?

2009/12/2 12:07Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Apples and Oranges in my opinion.

God's law > man's law. The two cannot stand together on every topic. If you break the law by speeding, you will not be judged for tax evasion. You have only broken 1 law, not all.

As in the Lord's kingdom, breaking one of His laws is breaking them all.

2009/12/2 12:17Profile
Logic

It is one law with many commands.
Brake one command, you brake the law.

The law is love, the commands are to keep us with in the law of love.

[b]Mat 5:21[/b] [color=660000]Whoever commits murder shall be in danger of the Judgment.[/color]
[b]Mat 5:22[/b] [color=660000]Whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.[/color]
If you hate your brother with out a cause, you murder him, which is against the law of love.

2009/12/2 12:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy