SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : News Footage of Preacher Arrested on Alabama A&M Jesse Morrell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

In America.

Our permit for free speech is the Constitution. So we already have our permit to speek.
All public property has been ruled several times by courts to be free speech zones. there is of course reasonable time and position considerations. Example would be in front of a hospital on a public sidewalk. A preacher cannot be yelling so loud as to disturb the patience inside.

The free speech in America is a very important right that needs to be excercised. Otherwise it will be taken away.

2009/11/30 9:14

Re:

Quote:
Our permit for free speech is the Constitution. So we already have our permit to speak.

In Canada, we have the same freedom. Your missing the point. Free speech is not having your own way whenever you want to have it. It's having the freedom to express yourself at the designated venues. There are laws that are in place for "disturbing the peace".

2009/11/30 11:40
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

As an open air preacher, I've run into troubles with the law and authorities on these things. You can show up and preach open air with little to know problem on most public sidewalks, especially at universities. I did speak at a community college once where I was given a lecture by the security there, but each and every time I complied with them. If they asked me to move to another location, I did. If they said I was being too loud, and they could hear me inside their buildings, I lowered my volume.

Once one of the security officers, a Christian, told me he personally had no problem with me being there and preaching. He was all for it. But eventually he did make it clear to me that the powers at that college did not like me there preaching, specifically, the Vice President of the school who was slated to take over the role as President next year, and he didn't want anything happening on his watch that somehow slowed his career down.

Even when it is clear that the authorities are abusing their powers and violating our rights, as Christians we should follow the example of Christ that we read about in 1 Peter. We should choose rather to suffer, and not be individuals who insist on our right. Indeed, in insisting on our rights, we may be cutting off the hand of God over our circumstance, who might be looking to do something else altogether. No doubt, the apostle Paul from time to time insisted on his rights when he discerned there was wisdom in doing so. But at other times, he allowed them to be violated. Indeed, his refusal to insist on his rights eventually landed him before Caesar!

One thing is for sure, dragging the media into this is very tacky and self-serving. It's also manipulative, as he knows by dragging the media into such a story, the university who doesn't want any bad press, and is likely to cave. Christ taught us that when they persecute us in one city because of the gospel, we are supposed to wipe the dust off our shoes and turn away from that city. We aren't supposed to pull a PR stunt to force them to listen to us. If people don't want to hear the gospel, then it is God's judgment upon them to keep the gospel from ever entering their ears again so as to be saved. Instead of preaching the gospel to people who have no interest whatsoever in it, I'd rather spend my time preaching it to people who do want to listen to it.

I've yet to return to two locations to preach open-air ever since it was made clear to me by local authorities that I was not really welcomed. If they don't want to hear it, or don't want others to, then that's God's judgment on them.

2009/11/30 12:13Profile

Re:

Interesting conversation. On one hand I am happy to see someone exercising their 1st Ammendment rights. Personally I love to see citizens of America antagonize the government... when the government is wrong.

I don't know this guy at all, so I can not judge his heart. However I would warn those who are called to preach in the streets... be careful that you don't become more about the 1st Ammendment than you are about Jesus.

Krispy

2009/11/30 12:37

Re: Protected by the law....I earn.

"If he was truly willing to abide by campus rules, he would have learned how go about it by now.
"Interesting how he has "armed" himself with audio and video recorders just in case he finally gets beat up and hits the jackpot."
LEO_GRACE

Good point. I never thought of that. [ should of. ] He had an emergency arrest back-pack already prepared, and made it a point to instruct would be street preachers what to put in it, and Supreme Court decisions handy to prove his case. He wanted to get arrested, and boasted about winning in court twice before......[ settlements ].

Instead of wanting to see souls saved, and the Holy Word go forth; it seems Jesse is making a name for himself. This explains his coolness under fire, and bravado. He was hoping conflict would come.

Good thinking Leo_Grace.

2009/11/30 12:51

Re:

There is no such thing as "bad publicity".

Krispy

2009/11/30 13:04
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

There is no such thing as "bad publicity".

There is when you bring reproach to Christ.

2009/11/30 13:27Profile

Re:

From a legal stand point, that Police Officer clearly broke the law. He lied by saying it was a private campus.

From a Christian stand point, we should send missionaries to China even if it is illegal. We should obey God rather than man as the Apostles said when the authorities forbad them from preaching.

I read about Jesse's lawsuits online. It appears that it is only his attornies that make big money. Jesse only gets one dollar from each lawsuit.

I also found this video online of Jesse's arrest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBKjgLBey8

Jesse said in these videos that he tries his best to avoid lawsuits. He said he just wants to preach the gospel. He obviously isn't in it for the money. Maybe he really does have a heart for God and the lost?

It is good to see somebody who cares enough to get out there and do something, even if he is critized by other so called Christians and is opposed by the authorities.

2009/11/30 14:23
NSCalvinist

Re:

The audio recording of the Police say that he was arrested for "trespassing" "disorderly conduct" and "disturbing the peace". They said nothing about not acquiring a permit. Jesse was clearly arrested for preaching the Gospel on public property.

As believers we should encourage brethren who are suffering persecution, not accuse them and question their motives. If a man is willing to publicly preach Jesus and suffer for Jesus it is probably because he loves Jesus.

2009/11/30 14:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
There is when you bring reproach to Christ.

Of course I was referring to the human aspect... [b]if[/b] this guy is in it to draw attention to himself then there is no such thing as bad publicity. (I'm trusting he is coming from a sincere heart)

I would trust you knew I was not suggesting that we bring reproach upon the name of Christ.

Krispy

2009/11/30 14:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy