SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Engagement ring?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi anonymity...

I don't think that these passages represent any sort of ultimate prohibition against such things. Gold jewelry? That would prohibit pretty much any sort of wedding ring. Braided hair? I know people who braid their hair simply because it is the easiest way to keep it out of their face.

I think that it is unwise to start creating some sort of New Testament "law" that is based upon specific measurements or requirements. I have heard of pastors who used measuring rods to determine if the dresses of the women in their churches were too short. I suppose that his congregation contains women who adhere to his particular restrictions and ideology...and no one else.

A restriction on "costly" jewelry is, of itself, quite relative too. My mother wears a diamond and gold ring that she has had for over 30 years. This was long before gold prices jumped so drastically. To replace that ring, a person would have to shell out thousands of dollars. Yet, it hardly cost a couple hundred at the time. Speaking of "relative," pretty much anyone who owns a computer would be consider "wealthy" by standards of 80% of the world (as well as most people who lived during the time of Christ, Peter, Paul and James). I know Americans who complain about being "poor." Yet these people live in a house, have food, own two cars, have a cell phone, own a computer (with internet), and have indoor bathrooms.

David Wilkerson once spoke a message that pointed out the flaws of the prosperity "Gospel." In it, Wilkerson explained that "the luxuries of yesterday have a habit of becoming the necessities of today." There was a time in which only the rich had a telephone or an indoor bathroom. Today, we think of those who don't have those things to be "poor." Yet, most people in this world don't have indoor plumbing! I have traveled deep within the mountains of the Sierra Madre Occidental in Mexico to minister to indigenous Tarahumara tribes. Most of the Tarahumara lived in caves. There were no bathrooms...no walls...no running water...no electricity. They live a lot like people lived 200 years ago. I suspect that they looked at our old 4x4s (that were largely falling apart) and thought that we were all "rich."

I suppose that the important thing, when it comes to something as superficial as a wedding ring, is to walk before God with a clear conscience. I have a rather plain ring. It is white gold...of which it might be difficult to tell the difference from stainless steel or polished silver. I don't feel that it is breaking any sort of principle from Scriptures -- especially if I don't look up or down at anyone based upon such superficial means.

2009/12/15 18:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

anonymity,

You want some reaction to the scriptures you posted..? I will share how I understand it.

Woman love to adorn, we love beauty. It is in our nature to do so, regardless what it is: it is part of the creativity that God has bestowed upon the female mind. Since this is the case, many will go to great lengths to adorn themselves and everything in their environment. It is my understanding that this drive to beautify is not worldly because God did the same when he created the world - just look around: who has not appreciated the colors, textures of a plant, a flower, an animal, the sunset or ...? Or, the beauty of sound known as music? These are things God has given for us to enjoy and I would guess it was a pleasurable thing for God to make.

Since beauty comes from the mind of God, we fallen creatures will take things to excess and work to elevate our own prestige because some things are much more sought after because of their rarity and beauty. It will also enhance ones standing in society. As one considers this principle, and allow it to teach you and possess you, these scriptures will make a whole lot more sense.

So, how is a woman to adorn herself?
1. respectable apparel
2. with modesty
3. self-control
4. with good works
5. be subject to your own husbands
6. pure conduct
7. a gentle and quiet spirit

These are the qualities with which a female is to adorn herself. Now, if these qualities rule how will these things look like on a godly woman:
1.gold
2.pearls
3.costly attire
4.'braided hair' (am told they used to weave gold in their braids, hence the prohibition)
5. gold jewelry

Don't look like they belong, do they? What do you think?

ginnyrose

2009/12/15 19:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy