SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Thoughts On Website Witnessing

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Thoughts On Website Witnessing

I logged on the other day to the Americans United for Separation of Church and State's website and made a comment concerning a blog post on their website. In about 10 minutes I was called a "fundie", told I had my "fundie undies" in a wad and, very unfortunately, told to stick Jesus somewhere. I have been an "American Christian" most of my life, but just recently, I believe, I was converted to what the Bible speaks of. I have never been very outspoken about Christ, and kind of had the I'm ok, you're ok, attitude. I can't say I was surprised that people responded angrily, but I guess I was a little surprised at the blind hate. I guess I expected an attempt at civility.
I'm just wondering if anyone has posted comments on any other atheistic type sites, what the response was, and whether anyone thinks this is a bad idea. I was not ugly or hateful in return and did my best to try to keep the discourse civil. I tried reasoning, but after that got nowhere I quoted scripture.
It seems that two things are working in tandem. One, the god of this world has blinded them, and two, "christians" have got on there and posted political opinion, been ugly, and called it Christianity.
Again, does anyone have any thoughts on someone trying to share Jesus via discussion forums on these sort of websites? Being new to this sort of thing, it really felt like I was yelling into a hurricane. I just don't want to be the cause of someone turning away, or staying away.
I've recently been called into the ministry as a pastor to the Church. Immediately, I knew this was what the Lord wanted me to do. But as I've sought Him I have been developing a burden for the "unchurched" as well. I have a burden to preach, whether that means in church, on the street, or on a website. So, if anyone has any thoughts on street witnessing, or preaching, please help me out. As I said before, this is new to me. It was hard to take the anonymous abuse on that website, and I'm sure it can be much worse on the street. I'd appreciate any comments and help. God Bless, Matt.

2009/11/27 17:24Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Thoughts On Website Witnessing

Hello Matt and welcome to SermonIndex. I am delighted to hear of your conversion and calling and I would be happy to pray for you, that God will bring you to fullness in Christ.

Regarding witnessing on websites, my only advice is that if you have a burden from the Lord then you must pray and work until the burden is released.

Also, you must remember that in this day and age there are a million arguments out there and your argument is like a whisper in that hurricane you spoke of. Only the power of the Holy Ghost flowing through a fully surrendered vessel can overcome the storm. Only He can enlighten blind eyes and save a soul. Wait upon the Lord.

In Christ,

Ron

2009/11/27 20:57Profile
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Re:

Thanks for responding. "Only the power of the Holy Ghost flowing through a fully surrendered vessel can overcome the storm." I appreciate you mentioning this because I think I was missing it. Thinking about it now 2 Corinthians 4:5 comes to mind. We have no part of it other than being the surrendered vessel as you said. Thanks.

2009/11/27 21:18Profile

Re:

sorry brother for not responding, may the Lord bless you and may he open the doors for your preaching. We will be hated brother.

2009/11/28 12:30

Re:

In this day of hiding behind a key board there are a lot of people who get rather brave on websites... and that may be some of what you encountered.

Personally I don't believe trying to witness on websites that you have is a good idea. But thats me, you have to do what you believe God is telling you to do.

Jesus said: [i]"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."[/i] Matthew 7:6

That's kinda what happened to you in a cyber kind of way.

We are told to GO into all the world and make disciples, but there are also parts of scripture that tell us to shake the dust off our sandels if the people reject the gospel. In today's "Christian culture" we want to keep running back to the dogs and swine and try to convince them... but thats not what we are called to do.

When I cold witness to someone, if they reject the message... I move along. I don't answer stupid arguments that some try to use to proove the Bible wrong.

We are not the ones who convince people that the gospel is real... the Holy Spirit is. Salvation is of the Lord.

If it is rejected... move on. If it is a group of people like on this website you went to, and they begin to trample the holy and precious things... move on. Cast no more pearls before them.

Jesus did not beg those who rejected Him to change their minds. Neither did the Apostles. They gave the Word, the Word was rejected, and they moved on.

We are called to follow their direction, but in our feminized culture in the Church today we feel like we should weep and beg and grovel before the dogs and swine and beg them to come in... and in the meantime they tear down the holy things, and then turn on you.

Krispy

2009/11/30 11:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy