SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Robert Murray M'Cheyne

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Robert Murray M'Cheyne

I've been reading a book that a friend gave me on the life of Robert Murray M'Cheyne by Andrew Bonar. Here is a quote from M'Cheyne that is very powerful:

“Oh! Brethren, be wise. ‘Why stand ye all the day idle?’ In a little moment it will be all over. A little while and the day of grace will be over-preaching, praying will be done. A little while, and we shall stand before the great white throne-a little while, and the wicked shall not be; we shall see them going away into everlasting punishment. A little while, and the work of eternity shall be begun. We shall be like Him-we shall see Him day and night in His temple-we shall sing the new song, without sin and without weariness, forever and ever.” Robert Murray M’Cheyne

It was very timely that I ended up finding this quote because I've actually been working on an artical called "Time is passing" which is on the very same thing. Funny and weird how the Lord makes things happen sometimes.

2004/9/26 11:03
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Robert Murray M'Cheyne

Funny and weird how the Lord makes things happen sometimes.

Funny and wierd
shouls be
wonderful and entirely faithful...
Lars ;-)

2004/9/26 11:09Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Robert Murray M'Cheyne

M'Cheyne declared, "A man cannot be a faithful minister, until he preaches Christ for Christ's sake - until he gives up striving to attract people to himself and seeks only to attract them to Christ."

2004/9/26 11:15Profile

Re:

I found this one to be interesting:

"Dec 9th.- Heard a street-preacher: foreign voice. Seems really in earnest. He quoted the striking passage, "The Spirit and the bride say, 'Come, and let him earest say come.' From this he seems to derive his authority. [i]Let me learn from this man to be in earnest for the truth, and to despise the scoffing of the world."[/i]Robert Murray M'Cheyne

I found it interesting the in the early days of M'Cheyne, he was inspired and learned from a street preacher. When you go out and preach on the streets, you never know who your going to impact.

Tozer also was saved at a street-meeting.

2004/9/26 14:21

Re:

This is another one we could all learn from:

"Read part of the life of Jonathan Edwards. How feeble does my spark of Christianity appear besides such a sun! But even his was a borrowed light, and [b]the same source is still open [/b] to enlighten me."

2004/9/26 14:47
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

But even his was a borrowed light, and [b]the same source is still open [/b] to enlighten me."

Doesn't that just spark hope in our hearts that he is the same God who wants, longs for people to obey.

2004/9/26 15:04Profile

Re:

As a young guy still studying to do everything the Lord wants me to do in the ministry, this quote really confirmed things to me:

"Do get on with your studies,' he wrote to a young studen in 1840. 'Remember you are now forming the character of your future ministry in great measure, if God spare you. If you acquire slovenly or sleepy habits of study now, you will never get the better of it. Do everthing in its own time. Do everything in earnest-if it is worth doing, then do it with all your might. Above all, keep much in the presence of God. Never see the face of man till you have seen His face who is our Life, our all. Pray for others: pray for your teachers, fellow-students,"

"Robert Murray M'Cheyne" by Andrew Bonar pg 37

2004/9/28 4:34

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy