I gave them all they have
And told them: ‘I deserve your all’.
Yet they show more excitement
Over a little game of ball.”

2009/11/24 9:15Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: When Jesus watched the football game

Nice poem, but sadly, true at the same time.

Did you write it yourself?

2009/11/24 9:29Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

I wrote it just this morning . . . grieved over fellow Christians showing SO MUCH excitement over "the saints" winning a game here in Louisiana. The question that weighs on my heart is "how does Jesus see the game?"

Can He get excited over scores and "victories" when the majority of the players and the watchers have more excitement over the game than they do over Him? Some of them probably go to churches faithfully yet they talk more about their team than they do their Savior.

I want to see things from an eternal perspective as the Lord does, and not the temporal. I want to be grieved about the souls who are breaking the 1st commandment and also breaking the greatest commandment. I just can’t get excited about game scores.

We pray: “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven”. In heaven the excitement is about God. He will share His glory with no one. How can we rejoice more over game scores than over the Creator of all?

2009/11/24 9:49Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Sad to say, but I know of people, and no doubt, many others do as well, who would miss church in order to watch their favourite sport.

It must grieve God when we go to church, go through the 'business as usual' service, and as soon as it is over, God is forgotten until next time.

But, He is watching.

2009/11/24 10:26Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:

Sad to say, but I know of people, and no doubt, many others do as well, who would miss church in order to watch their favourite sport.

It must grieve God when we go to church, go through the 'business as usual' service, and as soon as it is over, God is forgotten until next time.

But, He is watching.

A good check is to see how passionate excited we are with the toys of this world, as soon as anything makes us more excited that is not christ himself or one of Gods meens to make us like his son then that need to go. once i was at a youth meeting, and after the meeting some games and so on for just fellowship was there, it was good and nice and no harm in the games themselves, but the played with such passion and energy, i couldent help saying to the youth pastor, when these young ones get as much energy towards Christ and his work we will have revival.

it is so easy to get excited for things that do nothing..... except a moment of emotional burst of feelings. They may be good and not sinful in themselves, the activity, but always our passion for Christ and the things of the heavenly kingdom must be MUCH more then the things we can enjoy on earth. Football is good, when played with fellowship and enjoying it for the simple thing it is. To go watch wordly men trow or kick a ball around is just stupid really. Young boys and girls watch their hero out there, they give hours and hours to practice, to make the same moves, and tricks as their hero, if our young ones and grown ups had the same attitude towards the Lord, watch him study him imitate him, his words he spoke and his love.

i find it very interesting, the word for "stars" and famous people we use is idol. and they are in every sense, if we look closely we see everything in our society, sports, entertainment, shoping, everything, is designed to take our focus, passion, love away from what matters.

Sports are big only because that reason, to get mans mind of the things that matters.

2009/11/24 11:07Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Good poem.

But me thinks there are more stanzas waiting to be penned by you..I will wait patiently for this to happen!

Have a good day!

ginnyrose

2009/11/24 11:49Profile
alan4jc

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I just finished reading "Quiet Strength" it is the autobiography of Tony Dungy the former coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He stated that football was not his life just a job, but that he must as a Christian do that job well. I would recommend it to anyone. Tony is a brother in Christ who used his platform to glorify Christ and I believe he has done a good job of it.

2009/11/24 15:06Profile

Re:

I love the view in my country that if you're a sportsman and a Christian, then it makes you a role model for all other Christians and non-Christians too. Seems to me that being a sportsman (like a footballer or a baseballer) is more important than being a Christian.

I've been told that the mark of a good & wholesome pastor is that he should be into sports, and if he cancels Sunday services to watch a football game it shows that he is only human and not a self-righteous saint. God save us from self-righteous preachers is what healthy sports-loving pastors say!

2009/12/30 9:30
hoohoou

Texas

This is what Ravenhill said was America's royalty, sport and entertainment. Football is the only sport I really like to watch and the Lord is really convicting me about it. In and of itself it's harmless. This is a big part of crucifying the flesh for me. It should be Christ and Christ alone.

The pastor of my church actually postponed a "revival" for a day because of the national championship game. I've also heard of a church that has TV's in the Men's Ministry room so the men can watch sports before the service starts. I understand wanting to get people in the door, but we're talking about the church. Sport really has become an idol if that's what it takes to get men to show up. It's both a personal issue as well as a corporate one. The lack of a personal, passionate walk with God produces a church that lacks fire.

2009/12/30 19:38Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy