SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Isaiah 53

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Isaiah 53

1 ¶ Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4 ¶ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 ¶ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
(KJV)

2009/11/23 8:29
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Isaiah 53

This scripture speaks for itself, and was fulfilled in the life of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thanks.

2009/11/23 8:34Profile

Re:

Acts 8:29

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

2009/11/23 8:44

Re:

Romans 10:13-15

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

2009/11/23 10:40
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Concerning the gospel of peace, Jesus tells us in John 14v27, "...My peace I give to you..."

This world cannot give us that peace.

Peace from God is true peace.

God bless.

2009/11/23 11:39Profile
Logic

Re:

Has any one ever noticed that Peter makes the stripes (plural) in Isa 53:5 to be a singular stripe in [b]1 Peter 2:24[/b] [color=660000]Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose [b]stripe[/b] you were healed.[/color]

I figure that Peter has the Father dealing the blow; the blow being the whole thing of the crucification and not just the whips of the scourge.

2009/11/23 12:07Profile

Re:

No logic I hadn't noticed it cuz when I read it it is plural

1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

2009/11/23 12:14
Logic

Re:

Quote:
thingsabove wrote:
No logic I hadn't noticed it cuz when I read it it is plural

1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

It is supposed be singular, because it is in the Greek.

2009/11/23 13:13Profile

Re:

Logic, in your post you said,

anyone ever noticed......

You gave no indication of "noticed in the greek" or anything like that.

Also the majority of translaters of the New Testament agree to put it in english as plural.

I think that to labor over this point to much would get us into,

2Ti 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

2009/11/23 13:49
Logic

Re:

Quote:
thingsabove wrote:

I think that to labor over this point to much would get us into,

2Ti 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Also the majority of translators of the New Testament agree to put it in english as plural.

It's not the majority of translators

The fact is that the word for stripe in 1Peter 2:24 is singular.
The word is μώλωπι - wow-low-pi
noun - dative singular masculine

All these have it as singular also:
ACV, ALT, CLV, GNT, LITV, TAB, TCNT, Vulgate, WycliffeNT.

This wouldn't be foolish question, niether a unlearned one.
It would be foolish if it weren't true.
It would be unlearned if I didn't look it up.

Quote:
Logic, in your post you said, "anyone ever noticed......"

You gave no indication of "noticed in the greek" or anything like that.

Well I figured that some people might have noticed that other translations have it as singular and looked to find it in the Greek along with other translations which have it the same.

2009/11/23 14:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy