SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the purpose of all things?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Dead2sin

Texas

What is the purpose of all things?

Why are we here? Why did Jesus die for us? Why did God make man?
What is the purpose of being?
Why should someone get saved?

2004/9/25 3:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: What is the purpose of all things?

you have asked the right question... the purpose of 'all things'.

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
(Col 1:16 KJV)

all things are for him

2004/9/25 4:21Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: all things

[i]And [b]this[/b] is [b]life eternal[/b], that they might [b]know[/b] thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.[/i]

Joh 17:3

2004/9/25 8:14Profile
Spitfire

Hello Dead2sin. I have to get in on this. I'm going to make an assumption by the name that you have chosen that you already have answered these questions for yourself and you are testing us. ;-) I like that. I'm just someone who comes to this site often because I have found like-minded people here. I'll start by answering the last question first ( I'm sure everyone understands that this is just my opinion). Why should someone get saved? Because God himself is inviting you to spend eternity with him. What is the purpose of being? To spend eternity with God. Why did God make man? It doesn't matter 'cause he's God and he can make anything he wants to. Why did Jesus die for us? So he could pay the penalty for my sin by going to hell in my place (hardy har, hell couldn't hold him!) Why am I here? To live in Jesus' place ("I am crucified with Christ:nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Gal. 2:20) Welcome to SI! Dian.

2004/9/26 21:28Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

The purpose of being is to glorify and bring delight to our triune God!

Our Father in heaven made man because He wanted a vast family of sons and daughters conformed to the image of His beloved Son. He wanted His Son to have a body through which He could express Himself to the whole universe. He wanted a temple of living stones that the Spirit could inhabit for all eternity.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/9/26 23:34Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Do you know Thomas Watson? He is my favourtie Puritan writer. The Body of Divinity was a series of sermons based on the Shorter Westminster Cathechism, but even if you are not a fan of the Westminster Confession (and I have my problems with it.;-)) Watson is to be highly recommended. If you are searching for 'quotes' this will be treaurehouse for you. He uses the word 'end' here in the biblical sense of 'purpose or destination'.

Q-I:WHAT IS THE CHIEF END OF MAN?
A:Man ’s chief end is to glorify God,and to enjoy him for ever.
Here are two ends of life specified.1:The glorifying of God.2:The enjoying of God.
I.The glorifying of God,I Pet 4:4:‘That God in all things may be glorified.’ The glory of God is a silver thread which must run through all our actions.I Cor 10:01.‘Whether therefore ye eat or
drink,or whatsoever ye do,do all to the glory of God.’ Everything works to some end in things natural and artificial;now,man being a rational creature,must propose some end to himself,and
that should be,that he may lift up God in the world.He had better lose his life than the end of his living.The great truth is asserted,that the end of every man ’s living should be to glorify God.
Glorifying God has respect to all the persons in the Trinity;it respects God the Father who gave us life;God the Son,who lost his life for us;and God the Holy Ghost,who produces a new life in
us;we must bring glory to the whole Trinity.

When we speak of God ’s glory,the question will be moved,What are we to understand by God ’s glory?

There is a twofold glory:[I ] The glory that God has in himself,,his intrinsic glory.Glory is essential to the Godhead,as light is to the sun:he is called the ‘God of Glory.’ Acts 7:7.Glory is
the sparkling of the Deity;it is so co-natural to the Godhead,that God cannot be God without it. The creature ’s honour is not essential to his being.A king is a man without his regal ornaments,
when his crown and royal robes are taken away;but God ’s glory is such an essential part of his being,that he cannot be God without it.God ’s very life lies in his glory.This glory can receive no
addition,because it is infinite;it is that which God is most tender of,and which he will not part with.Isa 48:8:‘My glory I will not give to another.’ God will give temporal blessings to his children,,
such as wisdom,riches,honour;he will give them spiritual blessings,he will give them grace,he will give them his love,he will give them heaven;but his essential glory he will not give to another.
King Pharaoh parted with a ring off his finger to Joseph,and a gold chain,but he would not part with his throne.Gen 41:10.‘Only in the throne will I be greater than thou.’ So God will do much
for his people;he will give them the inheritance;he will put some of Christ ’s glory,as mediator, upon them;but his essential glory he will not part with;‘in the throne he will be greater.’ [2 ] The
glory which is ascribed to God,or which his creatures labour to bring to him.I Chron 16:69.‘Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name.’ And,,I Cor 6:60.‘Glorify God in your body,and in
your spirit.’ The glory we give God is nothing else but our lifting up his name in the world,,and magnifying him in the eyes of others.Phil 1:10.‘Christ shall be magnified in my body.’
What is it to glorify God?

Glorifying God consists in four things:1:Appreciation,2.Adoration,3.Affection,4.Subjection.
This is the yearly rent we pay to the crown of heaven.

the rest of the comment and the whole book can be found online here

2004/9/27 5:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy