SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : 4 tenets of Evan Roberts at the dawn of welsh revival

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
elected

Tulsa OK

4 tenets of Evan Roberts at the dawn of welsh revival

The 4 great tenets of Evan Roberts at the dawn of revival at Loughor, Wales.

(1) Confessing openly and fully to God any sin not confessed to Him before;
(2) doing away with anything doubtful in ourselves;
(3) giving prompt obedience to the influences of the Holy Spirit in the heart,
(4) confessing Christ openly and publicly before the world.

--------------------------

Prophetic insight of Roberts at the dawn of revival:

‘We are on the eve of a great and grand Revival, the greatest Wales has ever seen. Do not think the writer is a madman’.

------------------------

1. Send the Spirit now, for Jesus Christ’s sake
2. Send the Spirit now powerfully, for Jesus Christ’s sake.
3. Send the Spirit now more powerfully, for Jesus Christ’s sake.
4 Send the Spirit now still more powerfully, for Jesus Christ’s sake.

(Excerpts from the book Evan Roberts, by D.M.Phillips)

- Edited -

2009/11/19 16:32Profile
Laviver

Re: 4 tenets of Evan Roberts at the dawn of welsh revival

Didn't strict adherence to number 3 end up getting Roberts in trouble? I remember hearing that his meetings eventually eroded due to lack of decency and order; everyone was allowed to do whatever they felt the Holy Spirit was prompting them to do.

There is a fine balance in revival atmospheres. There must be freedom for the river to flow but also banks to keep it from turning into a marshland.

2009/11/19 16:36Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

I have not read the bio of Evan Roberts, to know in more details about the revival. I would prefer to see a child of God full of energy of the Spirit, even though stumbling and inexperienced, then stagnant christians who have got it all right in theory but lack the power of God in their life.

When fire falls down from heaven God will get praise even out of the mouth of children.Revival in wales was unconventional.

2009/11/19 19:56Profile
Laviver

Re:

I would totally agree with you in a daily walk setting. When the atmosphere is that of revival, more discernment needs to be exercised. Richard Owen Roberts has some great sermons on here detailing the nature of the 2 kinds of revival: experience-based and word-based. The experienced-based ones usually fizzle out shortly, like the Welsh one, and actually tend to leave the area worse off than before. A revival based upon the Word of God and spiritual truth usually has a more lasting and genuine impact.There is less emotionalism and human-generated manifestations when the emphasis is on God's Spirit moving through His Word, as opposed to encouraging everyone to indulge what they feel the Spirit is saying. Just thoughts.

Some sermons if you're interested:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=7426

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=17594

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=7422

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=7423

2009/11/20 0:17Profile
utilizer001

Oregon

Re:

I quote Lavivier
"The experienced-based ones usually fizzle out shortly, like the Welsh one, and actually tend to leave the area worse off than before."

I guess you haven't done ANY study of the Welsh revival of 1904, if you think it fizzled out shortly, and or left the area worse than before. Unless of course by "fizzle out shortly" you mean affect the entire world within a few years (revival spread throughout Europe, the USA, into Africa, etc.), and by leave the area worse off than before, you mean a decrease in crime to the point of having no cases to try, a noted drop in teen pregnancy, and an increased awareness of the nature of God.

Evan Roberts did NOT get into trouble as you put it because of having people follow the leading of the Holy Spirit promptly. Before you go retelling things you've "heard" I would seriously suggest you actually study for yourself the accounts of the revival, starting by listening to lectures given by J. Edwin Orr, which you can conveniently find right here of SI. After that, you might want to look up some messages from the Revival conferences, the HeartCry conferences, or by Gareth Evans. Each of these will lead you into more facts rather than hearsay of the Welsh revival and of Evan Roberts.

Jason Smith

2009/11/20 12:23Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Laviver i will listen to some of the sermons you suggested when i have time. I dont have a detailed info of Wales revival yet but have a general info of it. I think alot of good christians with good intentions make the mistake of comming to immuture conclusions about spiritual awakenings and revivals of the past.

A genuine revival in the community should be judged by its fruits and the Welsh revival changed the moral climate of communities in that country.

I have read alot about historical evangelical revivals of the past, and im sure that what happend in Wales impacted and inspired many christians to seek a genuine awakening of God around the world.

Think how much encouragement the good reports of that revival brought to missionaries in india and china.Only God and the judgment day will reveal the impact of the welsh revival.

2009/11/20 12:59Profile
Psalm118

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: 4 tenets of Evan Roberts at the dawn of welsh revival

Evan Roberts was a lovely brother, and the welsh revival was a mighty move of Gods holy arm.

Isa 52:10 The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.

For more information on Evan Roberts I would recommend - "The World Aflame"

Gives great historical facts about the revival, and doesn't falsely slander the man God chose in Wales.

It's by Rick Joyner in 1995 and I want to make it clear that I am not recommending this mans current ministry by mentioning a book by him.

2010/1/26 0:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy