SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Directions to Sinners who ask, What must I do to be saved?-Charles Finney

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

Where exactly did Finney teach/preach the gospel?

Can someone produce any evidence that Finney
taught that the blood of Jesus is the atoning sacrifice
for sin? Not an example for us to follow but that Jesus blood washed away sin. If he missed this he missed everything.
This is the core truth.

I can't seem to find it.

2009/11/22 20:54

Re:

This will probably not be sufficient for you but here it goes

Page 211 of Systematic Theology
on the Atonement
"...the atonement is the governmental substituion of the sufferings of Christ for the punishment of sinners. It is a covering of their sins by His sufferings."

Then just read the whole chapter on the Atonement in Finneys Sytematic Theology.

Quote:

Rev__Enue wrote:
..Can someone produce any evidence that Finney
for sin? Not an example for us to follow but that Jesus blood washed away sin. If he missed this he missed everything.
This is the core truth.

I can't seem to find it.

2009/11/22 21:57
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Hi alan...
Quote:

alan4jc wrote:
I don't think it is at all necessary to have Finney here to defend his views. We have his systematic theology and many other transcripts that give us clear evidence that he did not teach the gospel that Paul taught.

Yet there are plenty of arguments about whether or not Finney truly believed those things that he is accused of. If anything, it seems that there are conflicting ideas about such things within those writings that are attributed to him in this regard. [b]Besides, why focus on Finney? Why not focus on the issue or teaching itself[/b]?

This is something that everyone on this thread should consider. Why are you all debating about Finney and his teachings? Isn't the topic on this thread "How sinners can be saved"? Should we look to Finney for this, or should we look to the Author of our faith, the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the main character in God's book, the Bible?

It amazes me how we sometimes look so hard for things in the wrong places. Seeking wisdom from mere men, no matter how great their faith, can never be a substitute for direct learning from God in the Bible. No man can ever illuminate or clarify the message in the Bible like the Holy Spirit.

Don't get me wrong --- I do listen to sermons or read articles once in a while --- I enjoy hearing that others think of the gospel and doctrines; but there is only one place we should go to [u]learn[/u] of them --- direct to the source.

2009/11/22 22:18Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi thingsabove...

Quote:

thingsabove wrote:

This will probably not be sufficient for you but here it goes

Page 211 of Systematic Theology
on the Atonement
"...the atonement is the governmental substituion of the sufferings of Christ for the punishment of sinners. It is a covering of their sins by His sufferings."

Then just read the whole chapter on the Atonement in Finneys Sytematic Theology.

Quote:

Rev__Enue wrote:
..Can someone produce any evidence that Finney
This is the core truth.

I can't seem to find it.

Is it possible that your partial quote and mere portions of books that were supposedly taken from notes of his sermons are insufficient to draw such a complete conclusion about Finney's true thoughts in the matter? I have read other writings supposedly from that would seem to contradict this accusation too. In some places, Finney seems to almost embrace Calvinism. In other places, he seems to propagate a different perspective.

Again, I just can't help but wonder if the Finney portion of this is just a distraction anyway. I think that these sort of discussions would be better served if they focused on the issue rather than the man. I have never seen a person who was a "Charles Finney" disciple -- and rightfully so. Of course, I haven't seen anyone who was "John Calvin" disciple either...and just as rightfully so.

By the way, this quote itself is so convoluted and confusing anyway. I don't make much sense out of it (and really don't care to). I suppose this is one of the reasons that I don't like theological debates in such silly matters. In my view, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is simple -- simple enough for a child to understand...simple enough for a thief on a cross to understand...and simple enough for a young, formerly agnostic teenager standing alone with God during a warn night out in a lonely field to understand. When Paul and Barnabas were sent to the apostles to determine what the extent of the Gospel message should be, they weren't instructed on clarifications about such confusing matters. Rather, the apostles realized that they should not make it "difficult" for Gentiles to be saved (Acts 15:19 and Acts 15:28-29). I can't help but wonder if these much debated topics are too complicated for their own good. Maybe its just me?

Nevertheless, I think that it would be more beneficial to consider the topic rather than continuing to bring accusations against a man who has been dead for 134 years. I suspect that Mr. Finney, who now resides on the other side of the veil of Eternity, is well aware of whatever flaws existed in the teachings or methods that he embraced while he walked the Earth (just as is true of John Calvin, George Whitefield, and every other dead preacher is also aware). Perhaps his methods and messages were so flawed that not one single person truly met the Lord as a result. Then again, I really don't care. We all must work out our own salvation with fear and trembling regardless of what anyone else preached.

Ultimately, I found Finney's autobiography to be at least somewhat beneficial. However, it has been a while since I last read it. Perhaps I would think differently as I have grown since then. At the same time, I don't know that I would ever recommend any of the other books that were accredited to Finney. I've read through them in the past...but I just never truly thought enough of them to pay them much attention. There were places that I agreed...places that I disagreed...and places that I just couldn't (or wouldn't) make much sense of. I suppose that I am beginning to feel the same way about many other books that try to tell me what I should or should not believe in terms of doctrine. The Word of God is not only the final word...but it is the only reliable word too.

:-)

2009/11/23 2:23Profile

Re:

I often find that bias gets in the way of gleening truth.

The original post was to help Jdl and others focus in on some key hindrances to a sinner surrendering to the free gift.

Many on this forum have given jdl advice. Interesting that they can post their advice and opinion. Yet when Finney advice comes in some cry,
"only the bible no need for men"

Well if thats true they should not give their thoughts either. They should just have short little posts that say'" jdl, just read your bible"

Well , one thing I am not going to do is put any more of Sermon Index' Finney material up.
The distraction is not worth it. I mean heck it may have distracted some from debating bible versions or the rapture or gifts of the spirit.

I do hope that maybe the Moody posts and Bounds posts Will be helpful.

2009/11/23 8:14

Re:

So in other words Finney did not preach the gospel
that the blood of Jesus cleanses aways sin.
That is Jesus death was sufficient payment for the sins of all
mankind. That his blood made propitiation for sin
and was directly applied to the account of those who would believe on Jesus as thier sin bearer,
So according to Finney Jesus death on the cross was an example (governmental substitution) that we should follow and be doing enough good his example would save us?
how is this the gospel?

2009/11/23 9:26

Re:

Sure Rev.... yea ,you got......(no further comment)

2009/11/23 9:29
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: ccchhhrrriiisss and full text of quote

Quote:
ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Speaking of "setting the record straight" and getting the "history" sources correct, I am interested in this quote. Did you actually read this yourself in the cited book and thereby verify this quotation? Was it a firsthand quotation in the book or journal, or was this quoted within this work from elsewhere?

I found the magazine that he linked it to here and just know that it takes a bit to download it all.

[url=http://www.archive.org/stream/literaryandtheo03pigegoog/literaryandtheo03pigegoog_djvu.txt]Full Text of LITERARY THEOLOGICAL REVIEW, 1836[/url]

2009/11/23 10:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy