SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The sinner's real problem is not his sin.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
The sinner's real problem is not his sin.

Tuc: I am concerned that in your thread title you have turned the word “sin” into an either/or dichotomy. I could accept your proposition if you said, “The sinner’s real problem is not merely his manifested sinful behaviour. It is his entire sinful condition – that is, his fallen nature and alienation from God.

Waltern says it well, I think:

Quote:
The sinners real problem is the sin nature he/she inherited from Adam.

Even here, a caution is needed. This statement has been used to absolve one from personal accountability: I can’t help it, I was born this way. King David in Ps. 51, understood both his root problem and the solution. He knew his wrongs were rooted in his fallen nature, but he also cried out to God for a clean heart.

Having said that, Tuc, your scripture selections, I think help clarify your point.

Diane

2009/11/15 8:13Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Of course the Holy Spirit will deal with us about any sin that we have committed, but what has been brought out by this thread is true, and that is that the Lord is wanting to lay the axe to the root. The root of sinning is our sin nature. Our sin nature has been dealt with on the cross of Christ, for we know that our old man was crucified with Him that the body of sin might be destroyed. (Romans 6:6). We tend to want to deal with individual sins, but that is like cutting a branch off of a tree. The tree is still there, and until the root is dealt with, the tree is still alive. God's plan is to give us a new nature, a new heart, and to fill us with His Holy Spirit. The Lord wants to so transform us on the inside that sin will be something that is destestible to us.

Mike

2009/11/15 8:36Profile

Re: Diane

Yes you are right. I agree 100%

“The sinner’s real problem is not merely his manifested sinful behavior. It is his entire sinful condition – that is, his fallen nature and alienation from God."

This sinful condition can NOT be improved by the sinner attempting to "make himself better".

2009/11/15 8:40

Re:

Quote:
and that is that the Lord is wanting to lay the axe to the root

Amen Mike, and thank God that axe was laid at it's root and all of mankind died with Christ. Oh this blessed Good News if only it was heard by the sinner that God is for them for their good, for their salvation, for their well being in Christ Jesus our LORD. It truly is the goodness of what Jesus did on the cross that leadeth men unto repentance.

Great is our God and Greatly to be praised.

2009/11/15 9:08
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

tuc: Hey, since you are new to SI, I would invite you to go the welcome and intro section and tell us all a little bit about yourself.

2009/11/15 9:41Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

[i]'Put off the old man with his deeds'[/i] Col 3:9

There are several names in the bible given to original sin, such as "the carnal mind," "an evil heart," "body of sin," "the sin which does so easily beset us," and the "old man," which means the essence and image of old Adam.

Notice, the Paul says we are to put off this old man like we do a corpse, which we make no more provision for. The soul is not to be a cemetery for the "old man", but he is to be put off.

Now, while the "old man" is referred to in the Scripture in the single, the unit of hereditary sin, his deeds are spoken of in the plural, referring to a variety of sinful tempers.

In other words, if you feel deep down in your heart the stirring and uprising of anger, resentment, retaliation, a jealous disposition, a secret spirit of envy, lustful stirrings, a touchy, sensitive spirit, they are the sproutings from the deep, latent, inbred sin of the soul.

One may not feel all these in the heart, yet if we have one of these traits, they are all there.

One of the first manifestations of carnality in the newly converted soul is anger. While one does not have to give way to it, nevertheless that gunpowder-like nature is there.

Now we are not to put off the traits of the "old man" by piecemeal; but when the body of sin is destroyed, all his traits and manifestations go with him.

2009/11/15 14:55Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Deepthinker wrote:

Quote:
Amen Mike, and thank God that axe was laid at it's root and all of mankind died with Christ.

This is clearly not true. If it were then all men would be free from sin and reconciled with God. Only those who are IN CHRIST can reckon themselves to have died with Christ and to sin and now made alive with Christ. The two go together if you are in Christ. You died with Him and you rose with Him. Romans 6:3-5. Romans 6:10-11. Ephesians 2:1-2. Colossians 3:3

2009/11/15 15:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
This is clearly not true. If it were then all men would be free from sin and reconciled with God. Only those who are IN CHRIST can reckon themselves to have died with Christ and to sin and now made alive with Christ.

I hear what your saying brother and thank you for bringing this out. Let me put forth a question. What does this mean? "Behold the lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world"? John 1:29

2009/11/15 15:55
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Quote:
I hear what your saying brother and thank you for bring this out. Let me put forth a question. What does this mean? "Behold the lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world"?

Thanks for your gracious reply.
I would take this scripture to mean that Christ died for the sins of all people. However that is not the same as all people receiving the gift of remission of sins. Peter in Acts 2:38 says to the crowd ' repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins'. So we see it is dependent upon repentance and faith in Christ, of which baptism is an outward expression of that faith.
Also see John 8:24

Trust this is of help.

2009/11/15 16:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
However that is not the same as all people receiving the gift of remission of sins

Agreed.

I do not retract my words regarding that all men have died with Christ. The reason why that is is because Christ is not dying each time a man repents. He died once for all. Even though Christ has made all the provisions for man to come to God, not all men will, even though their sin has been put away. This is why the Gospel is the Good News, but not all see it as Good News especially the stanch religious groups of the world.

The unregenerate world does not recognize Christ death, but for you and I that do, we know and realize that we are dead indeed unto sin and alive unto God. The world that Christ paid for by His precious blood does not know that they have died with Him. It's only the illumination of the word of God that causes us to see this full salvation that has been provided for us to which we have acted upon. But we should view the world differently, a world in which Jesus Christ has paid for by His precious blood, and to whom God said was cleansed by Peters vision on the roof top before meeting Cornelius.

I don't know the whole scope of what Jesus did on the cross, but I am sure there is more, more deeper truths that we have yet to discover.

Blessings

2009/11/15 17:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy