SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Genesis 5 genealogy...something pretty neat

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jdl

Genesis 5 genealogy...something pretty neat

Hey everyone...I came across something in my seeking that I thought I'd like to share with you all...it's concerning the genealogy from Adam to Noah and what the Hebrew names mean

Adam means man
Seth means appointed
Enosh (Anash) means mortal, frail, miserable
Kenan means sorrow
Mahalalel means (Mahalal) blessed (El) God
Jared (Yaradh) means shall come down
Enoch means teaching, commencement
Methuselah means (Muth) death (Shalach) to bring
Lamech means lament, despairing
Noah (Nacham) means to bring relief or comfort

So taken all together, we get:

Man is appointed mortal sorrow, but the blessed God shall come down, teaching that his death shall bring the despairing rest/comfort.

As you all know, I'm struggling with quite a few things...but when I saw this I thought it was pretty neat...just wanted to share with everyone...well take care!

2009/11/14 14:04Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: Genesis 5 genealogy...something pretty neat

That is really nice, Jdl, and you are probably the first to see this! Thanks for sharing. :-) God works wonderfully in many ways - what a blessed message!

2009/11/14 14:09Profile
Jdl

Re:

Hi Leo, thanks for the response! I don't want to take credit for actually discovering it though...I came across it on a wonderful apologetic website and thought I'd come back and share it with you all...Altho hopefully one day God will open my spiritual eyes to definitely come across something new and edifying

2009/11/14 14:20Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

chuck misler presents that actually in one of the books i have, it is pretty interesting that the Messiah is all over the old testament.

2009/11/14 14:36Profile
Lucash

Kentucky

Very good work!

2009/11/14 20:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I have heard of this as well and it was not all that long ago. Thrilling, is it not?

OT genealogy makes for a fascinating study. As you study its history and names are given, you will sometimes find some interesting nuggets buried in its depths. When you find one you will experience an "Ah ha!" moment and then I always have the sense that if I could see God, I would see a twinkle in his eye!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/11/14 20:58Profile
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Re:

Another reason we all ought to learn Hebrew and Greek !

:-D

2009/11/15 0:22Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Heard another neat idea about the geneologies of the book of Genesis. It is totally extra-Biblical, but entirely plausible. So often we read, "These are the generations of ___________..." Someone suggested that it is possible that Adam, for example, actually wrote the first few chapters of Genesis and on and on it goes, Noah most likely carried these records with him, and that Moses simply compiled and added to these accounts when he wrote the book. Just thought the idea was interesting.

ginnyrose, you are right. The genealogy is there for a reason, and actually makes an interesting study if a person takes the time to follow it.

2009/11/15 9:56Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

IWantAnguish wrote:
Another reason we all ought to learn Hebrew and Greek !

:-D

I don't know of you guys have found this already, but here's a link to the Blue Letter Bible site where you can find a lot of useful Bible Study tools, including a Hebrew and Greek Lexicon.

[url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/study/#encyclopedias]BLB Study Tools[/url]

2009/11/15 12:02Profile
jmooney6

Re:

Now that's just plain awesome! :-) Just goes to show you how clever Our Lord is.

@Brother Leo, thanks for the link! It even has a much-needed KJV dictionary. ;-)

2009/11/15 12:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy