SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Nonresistance and Nonparticipation in Civil Government

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Leo_Grace

Re:

Dear JoanM,

Quote:
It seems that in Ireland, as in American, the problem of "wrapping the national flag around the Gospel" has not been helpful. As I continue to reflect on the message and now what is written here, I am thinking that in the body of Christ there is un-Christlike resistance and non-resistance and there is un-Christlike participation and non-participation in civil government.

The last speaker's name was David Legge, not Jesus Christ. I mean no disrespect to him, but he is just a man whose teachings should always be checked against Scripture. Even the words of Paul Washer, whom I respect and listen to often, I always check in the light of Scripture.

As I mentioned earlier, there is no basis in Scripture for concluding that all Christians should practice nonresistance. There is, however, the supreme command by God to love God completely, and to love others as ourselves. In most situations, this means a true believer must exercise patience, perseverance, forgiveness, and hope. This is not nonresistance, it is love.

There is no such thing as un-Christlike resistance. We cannot practice nonresistance when confronted with evil -- we are instructed to always resist evil in all its forms.

[i]Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. [b]Resist the devil[/b], and he will flee from you.[/i]

Paul, who was called by the Lord Jesus himself to be an apostle, who was filled with the Holy Spirit to preach the word correctly to Christians under the new covenant of which he was a champion, taught this to the Hebrews:

[i]Heb 11:32-34 "And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets,
[b]who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice[/b], and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and [b]who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies[/b]."[/i]

Paul soundly rebuked those who still preached for circumcision, against eating unclean food, and for seeking righteousness through the law, since these had been changed under the new covenant.

Yet he commends these men, not just for resisting, but for conquering and governing in faith and obedience to God. Why would he commend their actions if these were already forbidden under the new covenant that Paul preached?

The truth is resistance or nonresistance means nothing under both the old and new covenants. What matters only is faith and obedience to God.

2009/11/14 21:32Profile
Laviver

Re:

Comment Removed by Author.

2009/11/15 0:08Profile
Laviver

Re:

Comment Removed by Author.

2009/11/15 0:30Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy