SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Reference Work Suggestions.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
INGRACE

Jackson,AL.

Reference Work Suggestions.

I have a small collection of biblical study helps,such as concordances,theological dictionaries , various Bible translations and the like.
And I am aware of online sites such as e-sword.

But I am kinda of old-fashioned I like hard books,and I am on a limited budget,so I buy as I can.

What are some biblical reference materials that you recommend ? Maybe you have found something that is paricularly useful.
Also too do you recommend any sources,where such things can be obtained affordably ?

2009/11/11 21:00Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Reference Work Suggestions.

If you don't have a copy of Matthew Henry's commentary set, it is definitely worth the price.

However, I actually use the concise version more often that the full set.

A good study Bible can be helpful too at times. The new ESV study Bible is apparently good, and the NIV study Bible is actually not a bad book to have around either.

With care in Christ...

2009/11/11 21:50Profile
INGRACE

Jackson,AL.

Re:

Thank you,I do have a ESV,as a matter of fact next to KJV,I like the ESV,NKJV,NASB.
I don't own a Matthew Henry Commentary.
I have thought about purchasing a Albert Barnes commentary,in the future.

One thing I really want to purchase is a Phillip Schallf's History of The Christian church,which there is an online version.
I would like to have a Geneva bible.

2009/11/11 22:08Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

If you were looking for an all in one general reference material on a computer, I'd highly suggest the Logos Bible Study software program. It can be kinda pricey, but it has the best bang for your buck, and would really save you time and money.

However, if you insist of having print, I would highly recommend "The IVP Bible Dictionary Series." It's a multi-volume/titled work that contains outstanding scholarly background information on just about anything and everything you'd need to know about the new and old testaments. I believe there are 7 books overall, but they are very worth the investment. Each will run you about $30-40 bucks a pop, and each volume is dedicated to a particular issue i.e. The Gospels, The Pauline Epistles, etc. But, you'll probably never need anything else.

If you'd rather have an easier to access Bible dictionary, I'd recommend Nelson's Bible Dictionary, edited by F.F. Bruce.

I personally don't recommend any single commentary on the Scriptures. Really, to get your dollars worth on a commentary, you need to get commentaries on individual books of the Bible. The New International Commentary series on the New and Old Testaments are excellent.

In lieu of a general commentary, I would recommend you purchase a couple books that simply survey the New and Old Testaments. These books will generally give you an idea of what is happening in each major section/book of the Scriptures, key passages, and general contextual considerations. Such is a better study aid than simply opening to your Matthew Henry commentary. "A Survey of the New Testament" by Robert Gundry is excellent. "A Popular Survey of the Old Testament" by Norman Geisler can also be good. But I only say that because I've not really read anything else.

NASB is the best literal translation of the Scriptures. Having translated a bit of greek in my day, I've yet to find anything better.

If you need a concordance, Strong's is fine. But, I really don't recommend anybody use Strong's. If you are going to use a Greek/Hebrew dictionary, you need something much more serious than Strong's. For example, you really need something like the BDAG to do serious word studies. But, unless you know how to read Greek, and have a general understanding of Greek grammar, most of it will not make sense to you.

$500 and you should be set for life.

2009/11/11 22:16Profile

Quote:
Also too do you recommend any sources,where such things can be obtained affordably?

Ebay my friend, ebay.

2009/11/11 22:56
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Amazon.com also allows you to buy such references second hand. There is almost always somebody selling a used/like new copy of whatever book Amazon has in their warehouse.

2009/11/11 22:59Profile
INGRACE

Jackson,AL.

Re:

Thank you all for the suggestions,and please pray for me as I desire to dig into the word deeper than I ever have in my life.
I desire to study the word from a unbiased standpoint,and not study it to prove a pet doctrine,or a secterian viewpoint,if that makes any sense.

2009/11/11 23:14Profile
Laviver

Re:

Right now cbd.com has some good prices on various commentaries:

Warren Weirsbe for $49.99 http://www.christianbook.com/bible-exposition-commentary-6-volumes/warren-wiersbe/9786125030474/pd/030474

J. Vernon McGee $69.99
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=53158

Matthew Henry $39.99
http://www.christianbook.com/matthew-henrys-commentary-whole-bible-volumes/9781598564358/pd/564365

Matthew Poole $29.99
http://www.christianbook.com/matthew-pooles-commentary-3-volumes/matthew-poole/9780917006289/pd/06283

A.B. Simpson $39.99
http://www.christianbook.com/christ-bible-commentary-volumes-1-4/a-b-simpson/9781600662256/pd/662256

John Calvin $129.99
http://www.christianbook.com/calvins-commentaries-institutes/9780801013317/pd/024405

Expositor's Commentary $129.99
http://www.christianbook.com/expositors-bible-commentary-complete-12-volumes/0310609038/pd/11190X

Jamieson Fausset Brown $29.99
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=31978

More specialized ones (like New Testament only) are available too, just browse around.

2009/11/11 23:51Profile

Re:

And don't forget the Library. There are some other places to consider. You could go to an Anglican or Catholic Churches, they have used books that are donated to them and they sell them very cheaply. Here they sell for 50cents softcover and dollar for hardcover. That is an avenue worth checking out.

But most importantly, ask the LORD for what He thinks you should need to study and you'll be surprised to discover it in a pile of rubbish or something. God has a way of giving that always surprises us.

But if I may say from an experienced fool. You have all the bible study material that you need right before you. You have a bible, you have the Holy Ghost in you and the voice of the Father speaking to you. Read and prayerfully ask the LORD to speak His revealed word to you. Have a pen and paper ready to write down what He tells you. You'll get more understanding, more wisdom and knowledge then any commentator can dish out. But more importantly, God makes it a living reality within you, not just knowledge, but experience. And through all that you'll have developed a relationship far more precious than all the study materials that are in Christian book store. When he does speak keep it to yourself until the time appointed. Whatever He has spoken to you, He will bring back to your remembrance. The many things that I have heard from I was quick to blurt it out and I only made a mess of things. There is a time and season for everything that is under the sun.

God Bless

2009/11/12 8:47
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

The Crossway Classic commentary series is also good.

2009/11/12 8:57Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy