HIS word, the truth will set you free. Let HIS
Word speak. GOD will steer you straight and
lead you right!!

2009/11/11 21:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Brother,

May I suggest you share your questions here? Someone should be able to answer them for you.There are a lot of good minds here on SI. I also have the books I mentioned, vol. 1 & 2.

If you are preaching you need to be settled in your mind because inevitably someone will come along and will challenge you on the authenticity of the WORD.

This is just a suggestion...

Blessings
ginnyrose

2009/11/11 21:03Profile
IWantAnguish

Re:

It is important to study each Gospel in light of how the author wanted to portray Jesus and the good news...

Matthew: The King of the Jews
Mark: The Servant of all

Luke: The Son of Man
John: The Son of God

Once you get what each writer was trying to emphasize, a lot of the questions are answered.

Each writer had a target audience, and a specific view of Jesus Christ they wanted to get across.

2009/11/11 23:22Profile

Re:

Well ginnyrose lets see what has bothered me the most when i read the scriptures in the gospels and you can have a jump at it. First what exactly is paraphrasing and how does it relate and how has it been used by the gospel writers? First off on the cross they had the writings above Jesus in 4 different writings, i understand their were 3 different languages written on it, so was three of them reading from the different language and whatever you know would be fine. Also in matthew and mark it says the robbers mocked or reviled Jesus while luke says he asked for forgiveness, i understand he could have changed his mind later.I mean their our a lot but if this paraphrasing thing was used by the writers then it wasn't necessary for them to be verbatim but to just get it out their for the people to know and the meaning out. I mean the main issues in the gospels is not that it doesn't all fit as a story saying the same things and coming to the same conclusion but that their our small things like naming one person and the others naming more, or one saying one thing while the other saying something different. I began to read josh mcdowells book today, wow is all i can say very good. But tonight i have made a decision actually before i even posted this, i am going to believe on Christ and the scriptures and fully surrender all to Christ and let God work in me, he is my only hope, its funny everytime i tell God i give up on him and am leaving him like i almost did yesterday i am completely restrained and i cannot do it because i will be lost without him and i desire and am happy by being dedicated to him, everything else is just fruitless and vanity and i know it. I just always come back, within about 10 minutes i came right back to him because i couldn't stand not seeking after him. Praise hi name, pray that i could rest in Christ.

2009/11/12 3:41
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
i am going to believe on Christ and the scriptures and fully surrender all to Christ and let God work in me, he is my only hope,

This is the wisest decision you will ever make. God bless you.

Having said all this, your brain will not stop working. It is fine to ask questions but not with an attitude of finding fault. The godly questions lead to an answer but if none is forthcoming immediately, that will be ok, it will come in God's own time. This is called 'trust'.

Quote:
Also in Matthew and mark it says the robbers mocked or reviled Jesus while Luke says he asked for forgiveness, i understand he could have changed his mind later.

I never noticed this before but after checking it out, I think your understanding is correct. It is in comparing Gospel with Gospel that you will gain a broader picture of what happened. Some folks strive for detail, others for a general overall picture. The Gospels illustrate this beautifully. People are like that today as well. Some folks, in telling a story, are very particular in describing the details and others will say, "just tell me what happened!"

Quote:
First off on the cross they had the writings above Jesus in 4 different writings, i understand their were 3 different languages written on it, so was three of them reading from the different language and whatever you know would be fine.

In looking at this issue, they all identified this person as the "the King of the Jews". The fact some do not say his name could simply be a way of telling a story, just like some today relate a story: some will share details that others do not find essential to the story.

Josh McDowell makes a lot of this fact. And this is what give the Gospels more credibility is the way in which these stories were told. Some have more details then others. Yes, read these writings by Josh McDowell and you will be blessed.

If I recall, Josh McDowell was a skeptic before he came to the LORD. If there was anyone who wanted to fault the scriptures it was him.

Hope this helps a little...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/11/12 9:17Profile

Re: need help on the gospels

Hi John,

I'd like to comment that the question you could be asking (yourself), should be more about whether the gospel writers would want to mislead you by lying about what actually happened?

Maybe if you have lied sometimes, you feel you don't trust yourself to tell the truth, and thus it seems easy to suspect others of not telling the truth either.

As I see the question of reliability, it's not so much whether the 'writings' are 'reliable', but whether the [i][b]writers[/i][/b] are reliable [u]witnesses[/u]. A witness is someone who tells what they have seen with their own eyes, honestly. (They may not have noticed every detail. Try asking two people independently, to describe the same view from a window. You'll be surprised by the things which each individual feels important to mention - or leave out.

You also have to ask yourself why anyone would testify to seeing something they [i]didn't[/i] see, (why they would lie), when that specific testimony is going to get them put to death?

This matter of whether the writers are reliable, runs right across the whole Bible, and I think you only have to read Hebrews 11 to realise their testimony was not received by 'the world' because the world was unwilling to come to the light. There is also Peter's claim: 2 Pet 1:16.

I ask you, what would it have been like to look into the eyes of the Ancient of Days Himself, the eternal I AM, the Creator of the heavens and the earth? You think they might have lied? You don't think that spending more than three years with God Incarnate was a transforming experience?

If you read the gospels closely, you'll see that by the last supper, they have given up their own wisdom. They know that Jesus knows [i][b]everything[/b][/i].

Now, you said this, and it is very revealing. (Luke 6:45; Matt 12:34)

Quote:
Also in matthew and mark it says the robbers mocked or reviled Jesus while luke says he asked for forgiveness, [b]i understand he could have changed his mind[/b] [u]later[/u].

When might that have been?

Think about it.

Jesus died (gave up the ghost) at the time of the evening sacrifice (3pm), and the thieves had their legs broken to kill them before dusk (6pmish I believe).

That man was on a cross the whole time from what Jesus said to him, until he [u]died[/u]. Heb 9:27. Why would that thief decide he didn't want to go to Paradise with Jesus? What better option did he have? Seriously?

Isn't this question - about whether the thief could have changed his mind, really just a reflection of your own ambivalence about whether to mortify the flesh, or carry on sinning? It isn't anything to do with the [i]reliability of the gospels[/i] at all... or if it is, it is not about whether they are true or not, but about whether you are going to stake your life on them being true, like so few others have done before you.

Matt 7:13 (strait gate = Door of sheepfold)

God wants us to grapple with Him, and to need to [i][b]know[/b][/i] Him more than we need to get our own way - Gen 32:24, 25, 26; Isa 45:11, 12, 13.

2009/11/12 10:24
Laviver

Re:

Deepthinker are you saying there are contradictions then? Your post seems to go back and forth and then alludes to improper exegesis.

2009/11/12 10:41Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Dear John,

Quote:
But tonight i have made a decision actually before i even posted this, i am going to believe on Christ and the scriptures and fully surrender all to Christ and let God work in me, he is my only hope

Praise God! To believe in Christ, the Word of Life, is to reject any doubts that the enemy may plant in your mind regarding Scripture.

[i]Heb 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.[/i]

Faith does not seek or require proof. It is simply being sure and certain, and therefore free of doubt. True, unshakeable faith will lead to blessings...

[i]Ps 25:8-15 "Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way. All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of his covenant. For the sake of your name, O LORD, forgive my iniquity, though it is great.

Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD? He will instruct him in the way chosen for him. He will spend his days in prosperity, and his descendants will inherit the land. The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them. My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare."[/i]

2009/11/12 11:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy