Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : need help on the gospels

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

need help on the gospels

Well as most know i have been going through a stage of hardening and doubts for some time now and i even had stopped reading the gospels because i was seeing differences between them and satan just kept on badgering me with doubts about them, but last night i began to read the end of matthew when jesus was getting crucified and it said that both robbers were reviling him and i know luke i believe had said one of them asked for forgiveness, yes i know its possible that it happened after the earthquake and maybe he was convicted. But then i tried to look for answer and just sseeing other differences on these sites from other scriptures in the gospels just frustrated me so much again that i am disabelieving the reliability again, it just upsets me, why could not God make them more clear and not have this happen, i mean i want to just settle down and say i believe but why the differences. I never questioned them before but now i do. Two things i need prayer for this but also can somebody give me a site that goes indepth answering these objections really good, because i am doubting again about the reliability, i think we have all run into this but it seems it is the gospels which have the most of these problems in them, yes it shows that they were not copying from one another. John

2009/11/11 14:21Profile
live4jc

Re: need help on the gospels

Hi John,

We as humans have a desire to understand things, and to some extent there's nothing wrong with this. Remember though, that 'faith is the evidence of things not seen'. We do not see God (though some day we will-Praise God). For now, we will always, as Paul said, "See through a veiled glass darkly".

If you think that finding the answers to all the areas that are complicated and confusing will bring peace- it will not. You know that, right ? As soon as you get the answer to one thing, another perplexing question will rise up.

What you must do, is choose to surrender your understanding and choose to love God even when the way seems dark, and you do not fully understand His ways. Choose to praise him even when it seems not to make sense, given your circumstances. Pray those verses from Psalms, where David is going through what you are going through. God is faithfull. He is righteous. Read Ephesians 6:10-18 and remember...having done all 'to stand'.

Below is something someone shared with me once, when I was going through a dark time.

Your brother in Christ,
John

"And the Lord turned the captivity of Job." Beloved brother in Christ, you have had a long captivity in affliction. God has sold you into the hand of your adversaries,and you have wept by the waters of Babylon, hanging your harp upon the willows. Despair not ! He who turned the captivity of Job can turn yours as the streams in the south. He shall make your vineyard to blossom and your field to yield her fruit again. You shall again come forth with those who rejoice, and once more shall the song of gladness be on your lips. Let not despair rivet its cruel fetters about your soul. Hope yet, for there is hope. Trust thou still for there is ground of confidence. He shall bring you up from the land of your captivity, and you shall say of Him, Thou has turned for me my mourning into dancing" (Psalm 30:11)

(This is from a book called, ' The Power of Prayer in a Believer's life' by C.H. Spurgeon)

2009/11/11 15:07Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

thank you maybe i will just let it go.

2009/11/11 15:56Profile
Leo_Grace

Dear John,

Quote:
it just upsets me, why could not God make them more clear and not have this happen, i mean i want to just settle down and say i believe but why the differences

It is true that the bible is not easy to understand. I believe God meant it to be that way so that only those who truly seek Him with all their heart (those willing to exert the effort and those willing to be guided by the Spirit) will find Him. Don't give up. Keep praying, persevere in reading the Word, and God will honor your faith with understanding. True faith will always lead one to Christ (the Word made flesh), and knowledge of Christ is in the Word. Keep on seeking Him - don't give up. Above all, never doubt God. True love always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

2009/11/11 16:10Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

What you don't understand; leave to GOD'S wisdom!

2009/11/11 16:10Profile
live4jc

Re:

Hi John,

That sounds like a good idea, my friend :-) Maybe if you were to do this type of study at a time when you're not battling troubling thoughts, that would be best.

By the way, if you could pray for me, I would really appreciate it. I have been facing a physical trial (TMJ or jaw joint problems) for a number of years. This has been a challenge in itself, but now some new circumstances have developed at work, which seem to be putting the successful operation of the company I work for, in jeopardy.

God bless ya,
John

2009/11/11 16:20Profile
Laviver

Brother get a solid commentary on the harmony of the gospels if that will ease your conscience. Many have been in your position and seen apparent errors or discrepancies in the 4 accounts only due to insufficient or incorrect study.

2009/11/11 17:28Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Brother,

Let me just say after having been through Bible college and having spent some time studying in seminary, and having been an avid student of the Scriptures for a decade, you'll never find a fully satisfactory answer to every issue that arises with the so-called "Synoptic Problem."

There are indeed some tensions and apparent contradictions one will discover if one reads all three gospel accounts side by side. To date, though many valiant attempts have been made, there has yet to be anybody to fully solve the issues that arise over the gospels. There probably never will be. There are many good explinations generally speaking that many evangelical scholars offer as very viable solutions to these problems. There are also some goode explinations in some of the more academic commentaries that address these issues as they arise with each unique passage.

But overall, while one needs to truly study these issues out and be satisified in their own mind, let me attempt to spare you from trying to rectify all these issues, otherwise they will drive you mad. I take rest in the fact that there is very strong evidence that the gospel writers used a source common to them all to write their gospel accounts, and these authors apparently saw nothing in their writings that they thought to be irreconciable with the other writings.

For example, most scholars agree that Mark was the first gospel to be written. And 80% of Mark can be found, word for word, in Matthew and Luke. Likewise, Matthew and Luke have stories that are not in Mark, but appear in both of their gospels, likewise, word for word. However, each gospel has it's own unique material, even though they have so much in common.

Why is this? Because each gospel author had a unique perspective he wanted to share, based on what he felt the needs of his audience were. Thus, sometimes he includes details in his story that we don't hear in another story. Many tensions and alleged contradictions can be resolevd simply by taking things like this in account. Others, however, are not so simple.

This sort of thinking might be hard for many of you to hear. But ultimately, facts are facts, and these are issues any serious student of God's word must ultimately wrestle with. Some lose their faith as a result of being hasty to draw conclusions that they should not draw. But for others like me, I find my faith strengthened.

2009/11/11 18:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

John,

May I suggest you get the books by Josh McDowell that deal with these issues. They are titled "Evidence that Demands a Verdict". They should help you answer your questions.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/11/11 18:33Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

yes brother i will pray for your jaw. Ginnyrose i actually have that book but did not read much of it yet, duh, maybe i should now. I would like to say that on biblequery.com they made a good point about the gospels and the writers paraphrasing the verses maybe not giving the exact word for word but at least in their own way. Their our so many issues that i saw it is disturbing and actually hurts me a lot. I really just want to believe, so i hope the lord will destroy these arguments for me.

2009/11/11 18:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy