SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Please require real names and email addresses of forum members

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Please require real names and email addresses of forum members

Real names maybe something that you would like to see, but I certainly don't want my name splashed over the internet. I've only opened up to a few here that I have come to know. In a community we may know one another by name, however in a large city who cares, there is just too many to comprehend and to know each others names is not important. An email address connected to a handle is all that anyone needs on the internet. I like my privacy and I don't want someone who got my name and then my region, then my city and then try to hunt me down from God knows where or worse call me by phone.

"Hi, you don't know me. But I took it upon myself to track you down with the information that I collected about you off the internet."

My reply, "Who are you?".

"Oh nobody, you were picked randomly to see if I could do it, but (haha) I know where you live".

"Have you checked the children?"

I'd feel like I was violated.

No thank you!

2009/11/9 11:48
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

This in idea seems like a great idea. but sadly in rule and principle is much harder to make happen.

But we will pray and look into ways this could be implemented better.

2009/11/9 11:54Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
Real names maybe something that you would like to see, but I certainly don't want my name splashed over the internet. I've only opened up to a few here that I have come to know. In a community we may know one another by name, however in a large city who cares, there is just too many to comprehend and to know each others names is not important. An email address connected to a handle is all that anyone needs on the internet. I like my privacy and I don't want someone who got my name and then my region, then my city and then try to hunt me down from God knows where or worse call me by phone.

"Hi, you don't know me. But I took it upon myself to track you down with the information that I collected about you off the internet."

My reply, "Who are you?".

"Oh nobody, you were picked randomly to see if I could do it, but (haha) I know where you live".

"Have you checked the children?"

I'd feel like I was violated.

No thank you!

LOL! Actually the suggestion does not pose any added security risk for anyone. If you have a valid email address that you use to communicate over the internet, then anyone out there can already track you down by paying a few dollars for the reverse lookup service.

However, I will admit, DeepThinker, that this will force you to think deeply about what you post... otherwise a whole bunch of members might just go over and pay you a visit one day... :-P

2009/11/9 11:54Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

This is a nice suggestion but not something practical. Anybody can register a gmail or hotmail account under a fake name, and then come here and sign up under the same fake name.

2009/11/9 11:55Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
This is a nice suggestion but not something practical. Anybody can register a gmail or hotmail account under a fake name, and then come here and sign up under the same fake name.

As I said before, if these accounts are registered using the same internet provider and from the same house, they can be traced to the same person/location using reverse lookup services already available for fighting hackers/spammers.

2009/11/9 11:58Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Not everybody has an e-mail address through a provider.

2009/11/9 12:06Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Please require real names and email addresses of forum members

Some people want to stay annoymus because they may share some things that would get them into trouble with their churches or other people. Also, this may betray confidence when sharing prayer requests.

2009/11/9 12:38Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings
What KingJimmy said was true. I know some people who only post when they are at work (on there lunch) because they do not have home computers. I also know of some who go to the public library or local star bucks and post. Even myself I have more then one account, my husband has an account(although he does not post anymore) and I have a niece who has an account as well as a neighbor friend who use to come by and use my computers. It would be hard to implement I would think? Then there is also software available that allows a person to surf anonymously. As well as hardware firewalls that offer true stealth from behind a router. I would think that you would almost need a police warrant to get exact location of a person who is posting. Even when they have those pirating law suits they have to subpoena the service provider to get the private info of the person to know who and where they are right? Just my rambling thoughts about this as I was thinking how hard it would be to put into effect:-)

God Bless
maryjane

Edit: what narrowpath said is also true.
Edit again: Just to clarify when I said that I had more then one account, I did not mean me personally, that I signed in on more then one. I meant that from my home computer people have used their accounts to sign in. Just so there is no misunderstanding.

2009/11/9 12:48Profile

Re:

I asked this same question when we were getting lambasted a couple of weeks ago via PM. Although it's impossible to monitor someone's real name, an e-mail address is something that can be tracked as a duplicate. It isn't difficult to get an e-mail address these days with the various entities (yahoo, hotmail, aol, etc). It may not be full-proof but it makes it harder for the troublemakers to keep using multiple accounts if they have to register for multiple e-mail accounts.

2009/11/9 13:10
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Wow...why would this even be necessary? Even if we don't know the exact names, IP addresses and locations of a particular poster, we can still judge the specific words of a person effectively enough.

Besides, the purpose of this website is NOT to promote theological discussions about every controversial doctrine under the sun. In the [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/about.php]ABOUT US[/url] section of the website, Greg states the underlying purpose of this website:

Quote:
'The mission of SermonIndex is the preservation and propagation of classical vintage preaching and the promotion of genuine biblical revival to this generation.'

"The work and ministry of sermonindex can be encapsulated in this one word: Revival. Sermonindex is not an organization, business, or any attempt by man to build something for God. It is rather a expression of a heart burden to see the Church revived and brought back to holiness, purity, and power with God. The main thrust of the speakers and articles on the website are towards an 'apostolic' vision of the church of God found in Holy Scriptures. This biblical balanced Christianity is something needed in contrast to our modern day commercial, superficial, cultural Christianity. The desire for a spiritual awakening is in hopes that it will restore this original apostolic church in this world as a better expression of what the Church should be."

I think that it would serve us well to remember that "all men are grass." No matter how much I might respect a particular member on SermonIndex, I have yet to meet anyone that I would place my faith and trust in all of their words. I don't think that Greg's goal was to serve as the "conscience gestapo" for people who want to discuss doctrinal issues. Rather, the forums were likely meant to foster discussions from believers from different backgrounds who feel that same heaviness for true apostolic Christianity in all of its powerful simplicity. Yet, instead of discussing those heart-pounding messages contained here, people tend to discuss many various topics that they believe to constitute "apostolic Christianity." The problem is that most believers just can't agree on everything.

Continuing in the ABOUT US section, Greg includes a couple of questions and answers:
Quote:

[b]Q. Who runs SermonIndex?[/b]
Answer. The body of Christ. Since its inception volunteer support has made it possible to archive over 16,000 audio sermons and other resources on the website. The true ownership of the website belongs to God's people who have made it a intra-denominational expression of the body of Christ world-wide. Greg Gordon has been the full-time moderator for the last 6 years who has facilitated the volunteers in accomplishing this task.

[b]Q. Does SermonIndex have a certain denominational emphasis?[/b]
Answer. No. SermonIndex desires to be a expression of the apostolic church found in Scriptures. It is a intra-denominational ministry with 100's of different denominations and ministries involved. Biblical truth and desire for revival is the emphasis which is foundational for the ministry. A general statement of faith can be read below.

[b]Q. Is there a statement of faith for the website?[/b]
Answer. Being undenominational, we seek to minister to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity (Eph. 6:24), and to love all who love Him (John 15:12; 1 John 4:20-21). By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another (John 13:35). We hold to the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, as the inspired word of God. We believe in the New Birth, and that Salvation is a free gift of God through Jesus Christ to all who will repent, and believe the Gospel (Mark 1:15; John 3:16). We believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, the only begotten Son of God (Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-35; Luke 2:1-7; John 1:14; John 3:16; Acts 13:16-41; 1 John 4:1-15). We believe in the deity of God the Father, the deity of Jesus, the Son of God, and the deity of the Holy Spirit. We believe that, while we were yet sinners, Jesus Christ shed His precious Blood on the cross, and died, that we might have life, and have it more abundantly (Rom. 5:8; John 10:10). We believe that Jesus rose again from the dead (1 Thess. 4:14; Luke 24:1-8; Acts 10:34-41; Luke 24:33-46). We believe that Jesus, some days after His resurrection from the dead, ascended to God in heaven (Acts1:1-10; Eph. 1:15-23). We believe in the personal return of Jesus with power and great glory (Luke 21:27), and that His return is an event for saved people to look forward to with great expectation and with constant watchfulness and prayer (Luke 21:34-36; 1 John 3:2-3). We believe that this same Jesus, which was taken up from the apostles into heaven, shall so come in like manner as they saw Him go into heaven (Acts 1:1-11). We believe it is the privilege and duty of every Christian--to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and to live a holy life, and to be always ready for the return of Jesus, and that, in the meantime, each Christian should Occupy (keep busy in His will, and in His service) till the Lord's return (John 7:37-39; Acts 1:8; Eph. 5:18; Matt. 24:44; Luke 19:13; Titus 2:11-15; 1 Peter 1:13-19).

Not only would it probably be impractical to implement some sort of verification process for SermonIndex registration, it just doesn't seem necessary. We can easily judge the specific words of the various posters without feeling the need to go any further. Over the past six years, I have seen some people who created screen names who wanted to remain anonymous to save themselves from embarrassment for their prayer requests or in their search for advice and instruction about issues that might embarrass them. In light of the debate over a recent thread, I understand the desire for such verification. However, I just don't think that it is truly necessary. The words on the forum can be moderated by the moderators and can continue to be judged by other posters.

Does that make any sense?

2009/11/9 13:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy