SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Please require real names and email addresses of forum members

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Leo_Grace

Please require real names and email addresses of forum members

It has become apparent that some people register in this forum to post messages intended to create strife and confusion. It appears also that some of them register more than once in order to bolster their agenda using different accounts.

I respectfully suggest that real names and real email addresses be required of all forum members to try and minimize this distasteful practice. Anyone who wants to post in this forum should be willing to stand by their message by presenting their true identities upon registration.

2009/11/9 10:31Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Please require real names and email addresses of forum members

Maybe you should have sent the modetators a private message and suggested this to them.

People can get defensive at the slightest suggestion of anything.

Thanks.

2009/11/9 10:40Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:

Maybe you should have sent the modetators a private message and suggested this to them.

People can get defensive at the slightest suggestion of anything.

Thanks.

You may be right, but I felt this was something that needed to be discussed openly before any decisions are made by the moderators.

2009/11/9 10:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
I respectfully suggest that real names and real email addresses be required of all forum members

Amen! and AMEN!

I have wished this for a long time...on the other hand, am I understanding you correctly? Are you talking about the profile page? I agree it is a tad bit disconcerting to go to the profile page and find nothing there about this poster.

I use a nickname because I thought that was the proper thing to do back when I signed up...

Have a blessed day!

ginnyrose

2009/11/9 10:51Profile

This is a very good suggestion in my opinion.

2009/11/9 10:56
Laviver

Leo_Grace wrote:
"It has become apparent that some people register in this forum to post messages intended to create strife and confusion. It appears also that some of them register more than once in order to bolster their agenda using different accounts."

If this is truly the case and these people are that divisive and set on promoting their agendas, then why wouldn't they just make up new emails and use fake names? This sounds noble in theory but highly impractical and really impossible for the moderators. The moderators are people with real lives, real families, real walks with the Lord, and real ministries outside of sermonindex. Let's not try to put unreasonable burdens on them, even in the name of forum sanctity.

2009/11/9 11:02Profile

Re: accountability vs: slithering in the tall grass.

I like the idea too. Many web sites require users to have valid E-mail, checked against other sources that prove that you are you.

This would squelch the "drive bys", trolls, and disruptors pretty fast, I think.

I'm sure Greg Gordon could assess the practicality, work, and cost as effectively as anyone there is. I think that it could bring more accountability too.

I'd be willing to chip in if necessary....

2009/11/9 11:23
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

Laviver wrote:
Leo_Grace wrote:
"It has become apparent that some people register in this forum to post messages intended to create strife and confusion. It appears also that some of them register more than once in order to bolster their agenda using different accounts."

If this is truly the case and these people are that divisive and set on promoting their agendas, then why wouldn't they just make up new emails and use fake names? This sounds noble in theory but highly impractical and really impossible for the moderators. The moderators are people with real lives, real families, real walks with the Lord, and real ministries outside of sermonindex. Let's not try to put unreasonable burdens on them, even in the name of forum sanctity.

If they were to do as you suggest:

1. They would be constrained to lie, which would be an affront against God whom they would have to face. It would also be basis for expulsion.

2. Unless they change their actual physical addresses, there are email/IP reverse lookup services that can determine the location (within 20 miles I believe) or even the actual identity of the owner of the email address. These services are normally used to track hackers and spammers, but can also be used to for our purpose. These are not hard to use.

The truth will set us free.

2009/11/9 11:33Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings

I used my real name when I signed up. It is maryjane:-) I could not think of anything clever as a nickname so I just went with my name. Some people really like to use a nick name for privacy reasons though. They do not want to give to much info out about themselves on the internet. I can understand this considering how much identity theft goes on. Not sure if you were suggesting the use of just a persons first name or their last name as well? I can understand your frustration though and desire to not have sermon index pages filled with a lot of false teaching. I think being a moderator is a very difficult job though and one that requires a great deal of discernment when dealing with people.

God Bless
mj(oh I never go by mj in real life. I just thought of that. maybe mj is my nick name on here. I only sign off with that when I am tired of typing LOL)

Edit: I will also add as a woman I will not give to much personal info out even to be apart of this forum. It is just not wise to do so.

2009/11/9 11:42Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

For the purpose of tracing multiple accounts or new accounts of old members who may have been banned, the valid email address would be the key info. I don't see any problems with using nicknames in the threads and profiles, if identity theft is a concern.

2009/11/9 11:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy