SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need help to find reference on Rick Warren

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
JoanM

Need help to find reference on Rick Warren

In reading a link that is now closed, I read a report, probably with links that [u]"Rich Warren had joined the board of directors of an international faith organization seeking the unity of ALL RELIGIONS".[/u]

I have tried to re-trace my steps but can not find it on that site. There were other references to his emergent bent, but it is the one to this ONE RELIGION, that I need. As I recall, the head of that movement is in Europe (northern Europe?), and the name is short like Faith United (?).

Thanks for any help on this. My fellowship is still recovering from the purpose driven church and fighting off emergent ideas that sound so good but are built on sand and not rock. I hope someone on SI knows a reference/report of this.

2009/11/8 21:12Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Need help to find reference on Rick Warren

Hi JoanM...

It might help if you actually contacted either this man or his ministry for clarification. I do not embrace much of Rick Warren's teachings or methods. However, I have noticed that much of the criticism of Rick Warren comes in accusations or quotations that aren't properly cited...or that are "interpreted" toward a particular end.

I suspect that if you were to contact Warren or his ministry, they would deny that they are trying to "seek unity OF DOCTRINE in all religions." Rather, I am inclined to think that, if he said anything resembling that remark, Warren probably is trying to suggest that people of every religion should attempt to get along (as in, the [i]constraint[/i] of physical or rhetorical violence from adherents or prohibition of a sincere conscience).

Of course, I suppose that the only way to obtain such clarity is to seek clarification from the man himself.

*EDIT - I just looked up a contact address for Warren's church. You can try this email address:
[email protected]

2009/11/8 21:40Profile
HeartSong

Hi Joan,

I did a search in Google using some of the key words that you provided and came up with this link:

http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29384

You need to scroll down the page a little ways, but it sounds like that which you are speaking of (but is probably not the exact thing that you read previously) - there are also some links and videos embedded that provide additional information.

2009/11/9 0:00Profile
Leo_Grace

This might be what you're looking for: [url=http://www.exchangedlife.com/departing/warren3.shtml]Rick Warren joins interfaith advisory board...[/url]

2009/11/9 0:10Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello again...

I believe that Rick Warren is on the advisory board of Tony Blair's "Faith Foundation." However, this would certainly not be an embrace of any or all of the foundation's aims (any more than a church or school board member can be accused of embracing everything taught or practiced within a Sunday school class or school district).

Secondly, the foundation's website specifically states that it does not want to "interfere with religious doctrines appropriate to each faith" but to promote "understanding" of what those different faiths are. This, if it is the center of the accusation about Warren, is somewhat contrary to the notion that he belongs to an organization that aims to "[i]seek unity OF DOCTRINE in all religions[/i]" (which is the ultimate goal of ecumenism). Of course, Warren could belong to some other group too.

Personally, I feel that there is plenty amiss within some of Warren's teachings and methods that should raise flags. However, I think that we should be very careful that we don't stray from doctrinal or methodology concerns to be given over to mere rumors. That is why I think that it is best to contact individuals for clarity whenever possible.

Why is it important to make an effort to contact the accused whenever possible?

A couple of years ago, someone made an accusation about where David Wilkerson and Times Square Church stands in regard to the notion of a "pre-trib" rapture. This sister stated that she knew for a fact that David Wilkerson had announced a change in his particular view. I actually contacted Times Square Church and received an email from Pastor Neil Rhodes in which he clarified the matter (and refuted this sister's specific claim).

During another occasion, a brother was repeating specific claims about a lesbian on the "translation committee" for the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible. I found many KJV-only, "discernment" and "conspiracy" websites (and sometimes, all of the above) that repeated this particular rumor -- even citing a couple of KJV-only books that contained the rumor. Instead of embracing this oft-repeated accusation and considering it "credible," I tried to see it if was a valid accusation. I actually contacted the International Bible Society, some of the translators and eventually, the woman in question. The woman herself responded to me via email and clarified that she was NOT a translator, was NOT on any committee, was NOT a lesbian at that time, and had only been briefly consulted during a couple of very early questions about English grammar while she was a professor (while still married to her husband). I shared the responses from this woman and the translators with some of the individuals who were spreading the rumor, but now-debunked accusation continues to spread.

If we are going to be "free" enough to spread such things as a supposed "watchman," then we need to make every effort to NOT be guilty of spreading lies, rumors, myths or ecclesiastic urban legends. We should make every effort to be pure in our speech...even when discussing such matters with passion. Like I said, I have enough concern about some of Rick Warren's methods and teachings to warrant expressing those specific issues. However, as children of God, I think that we need to be clear, precise and accurate in what we utter.

Of course, I think that is the goal of every child of God. I just think that some very sincere believers will "hear" something that sounds legitimate, but will not verify it enough before they repeat it. Even if the motive is "good," this often will do more damage than good (especially to the person who is unwittingly caught in sin by bearing false witness against another person). Even with a supposed "good" desired outcome, what a terrible thing it would be to perjure one's self before the Court of Eternity! Therefore, I think that it would be highly beneficial to take such an extra effort to confirm BEFORE we repeat such things.

2009/11/9 0:51Profile
JoanM

Re: Thank you Father for your body, the Body of Christ

How can I express my gratitude, and great JOY for the brothers and sisters in Christ that God has given me!!! [b] OH THANK YOU FATHER! [/b] You found it and then some!

I am so inadequate when it comes to finding things on this Internet. I really have many direct experiences of how the Body functions on this site. How one thread asks a question that another answers. Even the painful sand-papering that occurs producing fruit over time (how to respond when treated unjustly)

Anyway, thank you. A major step was taken in my fellowship today (too long to write out) --- like from the pulpit the need to get right with God and then one another (deal with unforgiveness, offenses) and "If God can not work IN us, how can He work THROUGH us." and much more sown from the Indiana conference. The message was on fellowship and the first distinction was made between true Christian fellowship and the emergent message, though the word emergent was not said. Love built on sand is not Love built on Rock.

This will be helpful to us.

[b]This is worth repeating[/b]:
Let us be mindful of the words of A.W. Tozer, who wrote: "So skilled is error at imitating truth that the two are constantly being mistaken for each other. It is therefore critically important that the Christian take full advantage of every provision God has made to save him from delusion - prayer, faith, constant meditation of the Scriptures, obedience, humility and the illumination of the Holy Spirit" (That Incredible Christian).

2009/11/9 0:54Profile
HeartSong

Re:

(Revelation) Part 1 The Scarlet Womans Future Judgement by Willie Mullan

(Revelation) Part 2 The Doom Of The Scarlet Woman by Willie Mullan

2009/11/9 4:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
I just think that some very sincere believers will "hear" something that sounds legitimate, but will not verify it enough before they repeat it.

As we have learned in the H1N1 thread Chris that posters were either angry or in tears that you were debunking the false claims of the vaccine. It was if those who were getting angry and upset didn't want to know the truth.

Now this is exactly the same spirit when the truths of God's word are being revealed here, people simply get angry. Instead of quietly sitting down and allow oneself to rethink one's position and to absorb what the brother/sister is conveying to the forum. Scriptures are screaming at us, but we like the juicy conspiracies that promote lies.

Regarding Rick Warren, I have rarely read much about him or his ministry. The Purpose Driven Life book I never read, I had no desire to read it. I was in a home group meeting and I mentioned that I didn't like it and that caused a little stir. We talked about it, well.....the head of the group talked more about it saying that he had trouble going along with it, I think he stopped using it that evening. I don't think he met someone who opposed it which probably made him to take a second look. Since I didn't read it myself, I had the impression that it was a works based gospel. Grace was in there somewhere, but it was wrapped up in "good works" surrounded by our own energies in what we can become if we put our minds to it, whether it be God's will or not. That was my perception of it, though I never read it.

2009/11/9 8:32
HeartSong

Re:

Dear DeepThinker,

In reviewing the posts that have been made here, it would appear that you are referring to me. Please rest assured that I am neither angry or upset - either then or now. I have, however, shed tears for those that will be taking the vaccine. The Lord keeps bringing forth Ezekiel 33 . . . I have done that which He required me to do.

As to the sermon links that I posted, I had done a search for a sermon in my iTunes and when it was finished these were we next in the line up and started playing. When I realized that they were saying some of the things that I had read when looking for Joan's link, I simply posted a link for others that might be interested.

God bless you DeepThinker - I pray that His truth would be revealed unto you.

2009/11/9 11:14Profile

Re:

God Bless you heartsong. Actually, it was a group of posters on that vaccine thread and not only you, but I did think of you when I wrote my last post in this thread. I am grateful that you are not angry or upset, that shows maturity.

If I may say something that is worth considering. If the LORD should call you to a foreign land in order to go you will need to be inoculated or you won't be able to go. However, you could go with this in mind that "no deadly thing will harm you" as the LORD said.

While Paul was on his way to Rome his ship fell to a certain island that when he was warming himself a viper latched unto his arm and supposedly bit him and nothing came of it.

If I was going to a distant land, I would take the vaccine and give the whole matter over to the LORD, if I die, I die. But if God called me to go, wouldn't He have thought of all the variables of my trip? And if called, then I would make it to my destination fully prepared.

I haven't taken it yet because they ran out. But when it comes available I won't be the first in line, I am the type of person who'll let everyone get their portion first and then whatever is left over I will take mine.

Also you must remember that in 1918 50 million souls died of that flu outbreak. And there was no vaccine. It came afterward. If we can save lives by a vaccine, isn't it worth it? Polio was staid off by a vaccine. God is in medicine.

Perhaps you could shed the light on why you believe this vaccine is so bad?

2009/11/9 12:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy