SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Difference Between Holiness and Legalism ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
INGRACE

Jackson,AL.

The Difference Between Holiness and Legalism ?

Many people in the church world cringe at the word Holiness,and anytime Holiness is mentioned they cry legalism ? Holiness is a commanded lifestyle for believers In Christ,yet legalism is a preversion of Grace and something believers must avoid.
Legalism is man trying to earn salvation,by his own efforts,while holiness is a result of grace.

Why do you suppose people often confuse Holiness as Legalism ?

2009/11/6 21:26Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re: The Difference Between Holiness and Legalism ?

because they might have not genuinely been born again or they or walking in the flesh and cannot or our not discerning by the spirit of God.

2009/11/6 21:42Profile
INGRACE

Jackson,AL.

Re:

In my background,Many people who called themselves Holiness taught extrabiblical things,as the commandments of God,certainly Holiness is a biblical principle,but well meaning people sometimes taught the commandments of men,as the commandments of God,so personally I feel that alot of confusion over Holiness and Legalism has come from alot of well intentionted believers.

2009/11/6 21:58Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I believe that holiness is a gift we receive from God that manifests itself in an outward manner. "BE holy as I AM holy" is much more about the "essence" of one's inward disposition and status than outward demonstration. God IS holy, and therefore, acts a certain way. Holiness is not obtained in the actions that one does or does not do, but rather, comes from being partakers of the divine nature. It is a gift of God's grace.

Unless holiness is understood from these principles, one will easily be lead into legalism. I am "holy" because of what God has done for me. He has set me apart. I am simply to walk in a lifestyle that agrees with what God has already done for me. Holiness is not found in adhering to an ethical code. Holiness is a state of being.

2009/11/6 21:59Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Holiness is not found in adhering to an ethical code. Holiness is a state of being.

Amen.

A lot of times you will find legalism being promoted by someone trying to work their way into salvation...or perhaps keep it.

You will find holiness in the life of someone who is truly saved. Someone who as come to the end of self and realizes they have nothing to give. It is then they begin to truly give all of themselves in complete obedience to the Word. It is a joy to obey. Not a chore. Holiness by grace.

2009/11/6 22:24Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:
Holiness is not obtained in the actions that one does or does not do, but rather, comes from being partakers of the divine nature. It is a gift of God's grace.

Unless holiness is understood from these principles, one will easily be lead into legalism. I am "holy" because of what God has done for me. He has set me apart. I am simply to walk in a lifestyle that agrees with what God has already done for me. Holiness is not found in adhering to an ethical code. Holiness is a state of being.

Amen. Our holiness is God's gift, bought with the precious blood of Christ, not the deeds of men. But when we are truly Christ's, then we will choose to walk in the path of his righteousness.

[i]Heb 10:12-14 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God. Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool, because [b]by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy[/b].

The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says: “This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.” Then he adds: “[b]Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more[/b].” And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.[/i]

2009/11/6 22:29Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

You will find holiness in the life of someone who is truly saved. Someone who as come to the end of self and realizes they have nothing to give. It is then they begin to truly give all of themselves in complete obedience to the Word. It is a joy to obey. Not a chore. Holiness by grace.

Amen. Absolutely true. Sadly, few "holiness" preachers ever get this. They may hint at getting it from time to time, but usually just fall back into the old "rules and regulations" preaching.

2009/11/6 22:34Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Just to add my two cents into this matter, because I think this is something often misinterpreted by almost everybody, but Christ's statement in the sermon on the mount, to "BE perfect" as our heavenly Father is, must be understood in this exact same manner as "being" holy. It's not something we strive for, rather, it is something we are to walk in, as we have been made perfect by the blood of Jesus Christ.

*edited*

2009/11/6 22:41Profile

Re: The Difference Between Holiness and Legalism ?

Quote:
Many people in the church world cringe at the word Holiness,and anytime Holiness is mentioned they cry legalism ?

I am one of them.

There is something you have to understand. A lot of us grew up in denominations that taught holiness, but it was laced with legalism, a lot of it. So holiness to our understanding was legalism. God was so strict that while I was a sinner He died for me, but now that I am saved it was like condemnation being poured out. Why was I saved for? only to be condemned for every action that I do? Everything you did was scrutinized. I remember one woman who asked the Pastor if she could cut an inch off her long hair to get rid of the split ends. He said, "I don't believe a woman should cut her hair". So she cut the split ends, wound the hair up and stuck a hat on her head so no one could see that she cut it.

The more "holiness" that was practiced in the Church the more sin raged in behind closed doors. It was unbelievable the happenings that were going on. The more I seen what was going on the more I hated legalism and the holiness that went with it.

There is a true holiness and the only thing that I can come up with is that the more you grow closer to God the more holier you become. I don't think it has anything to do with stop touching this or that, that will fall away with the using as Paul said. Preachers are such control freaks. Leave people alone, let the Holy Ghost make people holy, our business is to continually point to Jesus Christ, not putting everyone into some legalistic mold and stamp holiness on it.

Forgive me, this is a painful and touchy subject. I've seen people destroyed by legalism. I hate it with a passion. And if Holiness is Legalism, then I hate them both, but I thank God that it's not.

2009/11/6 22:52
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Amen DeepThinker.

I know one senior saint in my church, who is about 70 years old and has grown up in the holiness tradition. She testified that when she came into the church from the world, she was very confused with all the rules and regulations that many others tried to impose on her as to what was right and what was wrong in everyday matters of dress, makeup, hair, food, etc.

She has said on many occasions that she simply turned to the Lord and said, "Lord, I'll dress however it is you want me to dress." And the best she has known how, she has only dressed as she believes the Lord has allowed her to dress all these years. That didn't often go over very well with others in the church. But, that is how she presented herself before the Lord, and in doing so, she has fought the good fight and kept the faith all these years.

She is one of the greatest Christians I have ever personally known.

2009/11/6 23:02Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy