SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart apologizes after remark about 'killing' gay men

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart apologizes after remark about 'killing' gay men

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart apologized Wednesday for saying in a televised worship service that he would kill any gay man who looked at him romantically.

A complaint was filed with a Canadian broadcasting group, and Swaggart said his Baton Rouge-based Jimmy Swaggart Ministries has received complaints from gay groups over the remarks made on the Sept. 12 telecast.

In the broadcast, Swaggart was discussing his opposition to gay marriage when he said "I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry."

"And I'm going to be blunt and plain: If one ever looks at me like that, I'm going to kill him and tell God he died," Swaggart said to laughter and applause from the congregation.

On Wednesday, Swaggart said he has jokingly used the expression "killing someone and telling God he died" thousands of times, about all sorts of people. He said the expression is figurative and not meant to harm.

"It's a humorous statement that doesn't mean anything. You can't lie to God -- it's ridiculous," Swaggart told The Associated Press. "If it's an insult, I certainly didn't think it was, but if they are offended, then I certainly offer an apology."

2004/9/23 6:53Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re: Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart apologizes after remark about 'killing' gay m

Quote:
On Wednesday, Swaggart said he has jokingly used the expression "killing someone and telling God he died" thousands of times, about all sorts of people. He said the expression is figurative and not meant to harm.

I believe him because I watched the service myself and found it rather humerous. What homosexuals will do to justify their sin...or try to justify it. It's all part of the coming persecution. They made it sound worse than it really was! Brother Jimmy is back and the Anointing of the Holy Ghost is there!

2004/9/28 18:33Profile
moreofHim

Re:

There is no excuse for anyone saying that they are going to kill someone. I don't care if the "someone" is gay or the worst kind of sinner. They don't need death- they need LIFE. They need THE life of Jesus. There is no compromising when it comes to our heart attitudes. We can't be pharisees. Religious folks are constantly praying as the pharisee did, "thank you God that i am not like that sinner over there". Pharisee. Let's pray that the sinner goes down on His knees and sees himself as he really is- UNWORTHY. Which we all are unworthy. How do you think we got to this place where we are at. By God's grace. Thank God he didn't smite me when I was at my worst in some bar drunk and unashamed. Thank you Lord, that you heard someone's prayer and saved me from myself!

In His perfect love, chanin

2004/9/28 20:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
There is no excuse for anyone saying that they are going to kill someone. I don't care if the "someone" is gay or the worst kind of sinner. They don't need death- they need LIFE. They need THE life of Jesus.

[b]1 John 3:15[/b] - Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

I couldn't agree more Chanin.

2004/9/28 21:07Profile
Janus

Cape Town - South Africa

Re:

Quote:
There is no excuse for anyone saying that they are going to kill someone. I don't care if the "someone" is gay or the worst kind of sinner. They don't need death- they need LIFE. They need THE life of Jesus.

I agree absolutely.
But let us then also pray for him who outer those words.

I believe we as children of God should much more look at our words and the things we say. How many times did Paul not warn us about the things we do and say- that we should not offend others, especially not a brother in Christ. Jesus Himself said that we aught to put a guard before our mouth and that our words should be few, for we are on earth and He in heaven.

Let us all look at our words. For how can out of the same mouth come praise to God and Condemnation for a brother??

Lord help me to keep my mouth shut when I shouldn't talk and to open it when Thou want to talk!

Love in Christ
Janus

2004/9/29 3:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Let us all look at our words. For how can out of the same mouth come praise to God and Condemnation for a brother??

Yes rather we should be saying to brother Swaggart repent and do the first works, leave your haughtyness and pride. And we should pray for him also, what he did say is unacceptable to those who handle the words of life but at the same time if we had to preach and share the same things we might fumble a few times in different ways. Its killing me personally to see the words REPENT in each of the seven letters to the churches in revelation. The last words to the church were not the great comission but it was REPENT!, hold fast, do the first works, those who think they are something are really nothing. O Lord do a refining work in all our hearts even brother Swaggarts.

2004/9/29 10:48Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

I think before any one of you have anything to say about Swaggart, you all should try watching the service at www.jsm.org & listen to what he actually said. And homosexuals cry "hate crime". If anybody should have screamed hate crime, it should've been the Aboriginal & Native American Peoples of the North American continent over the past 300 years. They were beaten, abused, and even killed by those who were supposed to be sharing the Gospel of Christ with them. Homosexuals hear a preacher say something about them and they're ready to scream "bloody-murder" as in the case of Brother Jimmy. They have never had to sit and listen to Jonathan Edwards preach. And if they did...Brother Edwards would probably the first American Preacher imprisoned in many years. One thing I think needs to happen is that people need repent for your unforgiveness and slander against this BROTHER IN CHRIST. He has repented...wait a sec. Let me say it one more time in case you never heard me. BROTHER SWAGGART HAS REPENTED! And for you or I or anybody to say he hasn't, we wouldn't be putting him on trial...we'd be putting the Blood of Christ on trial.

In Christ,
The Evangelist.

2004/9/29 12:03Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Homosexuals hear a preacher say something about them and they're ready to scream "bloody-murder" as in the case of Brother Jimmy.

Just because others misbehave doesn't give us permission to do such. No blood-bought person should ever say such a thing as Swaggert said. I don't have time to be joking about homosexuals and murder when they are busy going to hell. And those who do joke about such sins will never convert any of those of whom they jest about... especially those living in that sin who might hear you. If you can laugh over their sin, you will never weep over it. There is nothing funny about homosexuality, nor is there anything funny about murder. Instead of laughter, there should be mourning!

Isaiah 22:12 Therefore in that day the Lord God of hosts called you to weeping, to wailing, to the shaving of the head and to wearing sackcloth. 13 Instead, there is gaiety and gladness...

And you shouldn't liken Jimmy Swaggert to Jonathan Edwards, as I consider that blasphemey against such a saint as whom the world is not worthy. You and Swaggert both need to repent.

2004/9/29 12:35Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

“Just because others misbehave doesn't give us permission to do such. No blood-bought person should ever say such a thing as Swaggart said.
I don't have time to be joking about homosexuals and murder when they are busy going to hell. And those who do joke about such sins will never convert any of those of whom they jest about. . . especially those living in that sin who might hear you.
If you can laugh over their sin, you will never weep over it. There is nothing funny about homosexuality, nor is there anything funny about murder.
Instead of laughter, there should be mourning!”
KingJimmy quoted

The main subject under which these postings go is Intercession and Current events,
not scorn, contempt or sarcasm and current events,
not glee or jocularity and current events.
Revival will only come one way, God’s way.
Instead of scorn or laughter there should be tears and much prayer into current events, into each and every event. Priestliness finds a reason and finds a way to pray, pray life in every situation where sin is committed – 1 John 5:16.
Lars W.

2004/9/29 13:06Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
And you shouldn't liken Jimmy Swaggert to Jonathan Edwards, as I consider that blasphemey against such a saint as whom the world is not worthy. You and Swaggert both need to repent.

Hmm..that's interesting. Very quick to judge those you know nothing about. Brother, I know where I stand with God, and Like i said before...I nor Brother Jimmy are on trial here...what you are putting on trial is the Blood of Jesus Christ. That precious blood that has atoned for me, Brother Jimmy and those who are also walking under it. I have no hate in my heart toward gays, and Brother Jimmy most certainly doesn't either. While you all were casting stones and judging the Brother for something that's been under the Blood, people have been saved and delivered from the bondage of sin under both he and his son Donnie's ministry. I'd rather listen to a preacher who had fallen THEN REPENTED AND now has found VICTORY in THE CROSS of Christ, than to listen to somebody whose never been anywhere! I'd rather listen to somebody who's been to the Top of the Mountain, and the Backside of the Desert then some body who has never been there! Look at the Apostle Paul...what I had mentioned with Swaggart, maybe not under the same circumstances but the same process until he found victory(Romans Chapter 6 through Romans Chapter 8). Blasphemy? Hmmm...yes, Jonathan Edwards was an awesome man of God...but...he's not Jesus. If I compared Swaggart to Jesus, then I's consider it blasphemy. I perceive you're putting this guy on quite a high pedastal, for a man. John the baptist said of Jesus, "Of whom's shoes I am not even worthy to unlatch." In my opinion, Swaggart is a Godly man, and God has used him to bring in multitudes of people into the kingdom of God (probably more than you've ever seen, KingJimmy) but he's not Jesus...yet the point I'm trying to make is..."Paul Planted, Apollos Watered," But WHO gave the Increase? Yes God did!

2004/9/29 14:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy