Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus in the life of a believer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Jesus in the life of a believer

Confused as to what role Jesus Christ ought to play in the life of the believer...

I know that He is savior, friend, lord, intercessor, high priest and etc...

But in living the Christian life, we are commanded to live as Christ lived, that is, to say, "Father, your will be done," through the empowering of the Holy Spirit.

So... I am to live according to the will of the Father, through the empowering of the Holy Spirit, where does Christ come into the picture? I know it is Christ's blood that redeems, and that He is the way, the truth, the life, but it seems as if He is the furthest from my walk in the faith.

Is this normal / abnormal? Is this bad theology? :-?

2009/10/29 0:22Profile
MaryJane

Re: Jesus in the life of a believer

Greetings
I read over your post and it reminded me of a short note that I read not to long ago. I hope that you will not mind if I share it with you.

So, do you realize that when you gave Jesus your life and promised Him that He’d have all of you, forever... and trusted Him to wash away the darkness of your sin, forever... DO YOU REALIZE that He came to live INSIDE of you? “Christ IN you, the hope of GLORY!” (Col. 1:27).”We will come and make Our home IN you!!” (Jn. 14:23). A PERSON, with ANOTHER mind and emotion and will than your fleshly, natural one... NOW LIVES IN YOU! That is VERY good news. “JESUS, TAKE OVER! PLEASE! We don’t care much for OUR mind, emotions, and will, apart from you.”

Dear Brother how can Jesus possibly be the furthest from your daily walk if He is living inside you?? Please consider this gentle reminder.
God bless you
mj

2009/10/29 1:34Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
IWantAnguish wrote:
Confused as to what role Jesus Christ ought to play in the life of the believer... So... I am to live according to the will of the Father, through the empowering of the Holy Spirit, where does Christ come into the picture? I know it is Christ's blood that redeems, and that He is the way, the truth, the life, but it seems as if He is the furthest from my walk in the faith.

Derek Prince said that the cross was where God's will and our will cross. When we choose His will, we are dying to our self... dying to glorify Christ in us!

Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
Col 4.5-6

To me this means we who have Christ are to walk towards them that are without redeeming the time with love…

If I have /the gift of/ prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so that I can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing... Love is patient; love is kind. Love does not envy; is not boastful; is not conceited; does not act improperly; is not selfish; is not easy provoked; does not keep a record of wrongs; finds no joy in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. [b]Love never ends.[/b]

Where does love end in your life? It is not supposed to end!

I am convinced that no one will remember yours or my doctrine but they will remember the love of Christ in us that we had for them.

[b]Purse love…[/b] (1Cor 14.1)

PS: Read My Utmost for His Highest today! (10/29) It's a good one!

2009/10/29 6:43Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

In nearly all the Epistles the Apostles say they are the Bond Servants (Slaves) of Jesus Christ. He is our Lord in whom we willingly submit to. Romans 1:1; Philippians 1:1; Titus1:1; James 1:1; 2 Peter 1:1
Note where the KJV says 'Servants', this is not a good translation. It is actually 'slaves' in the original greek. Some translations say 'bond servants', which is closer.

In the same way that a slave is totally dependant upon his master and submits to His authority in all things we are to ahve the same attitude to Jesus Christ. It is He who tells us what to do; what is right and acceptable and what is wrong.

I know that Jesus lives in us by the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit takes from Jesus and reveals it to us. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is not to speak of His own, but to communicate the will of our Lord (Jesus Christ) to us. John 16:13-15

John McArthur has a great teaching on 'Slaves of Christ' which is a must hear for all Christians. You can download on www.gty.org.uk.

2009/10/29 6:55Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Slaves of Christ download

Here is a better link to the John Mc Arthur sermon.
http://www.gty.org.uk./Resources/Sermons/80-321

2009/10/29 7:09Profile
Logic

Jesus is our Standard and He is our perfect example.
Our standard of comparison in the flesh and our example of how we should live every aspect of our life.

We must live as He did; speak as He did; act like He did, and love like He does.

We overcome sin and the world as He did, by loving our Father who art in heaven.

He is our Goal.

2009/10/29 10:54Profile
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Re:

I hear a lot of this 'Jesus Christ in you' language, but I really don't find a theological basis for it in the word.

Jesus says in the Scripture that He must leave, and that He will send another. It also says in Scripture that Jesus is seated at the right hand of His Father in heaven.

I have trouble picturing a miniature action figure Jesus running around in my heart. I think a lot of this imagery came around from recent evangelicals, and the misinterpretation of the text in Revelation. "Behold I stand and knock..." The message was to a church, not an individual believer. "Just ask Jesus into your heart," has no basis in Scripture.

The Spirit of Christ may dwell in us, which is the Holy Spirit... but this does not help me understand how I am to integrate the person of Christ, as a person, into my life everyday.

I depend on the Holy Spirit (to be like Christ), I bow my knee to the will of the Father (which is to be like Christ), I __________ to Jesus Christ.

Is Jesus Christ nothing more than a gateway to heaven? Nothing more than a standard of what to be? It seems so impersonal, and has little inroad into a believers everyday walk.

What is the relationship in you guys' lives?

2009/10/29 11:14Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: The Way of Love

[i]Jn 15:12-13 [color=CC3300]My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.[/color][/i]

This is the aspect of Jesus' life that we must emulate - to love others as he loved us. This is where we can achieve righteousness and sanctification before God, by living the love of Christ.

It is not his holiness, not his sinlessness, not his good works, and not his miracles that we should try to follow, for in these we will always fall short. Because love is the supreme proof of our faith in Jesus. It is his foremost and greatest command. Is is the greatest possible "work" that is evidence of true faith, as sought by James.

He has already shown us the best way - not the miracles of faith, not the holiness of faith, not the perseverance and prayer of hope, but the power of love:

[i]1Co 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Mt 22:37-40 Jesus replied: [color=CC3300]“ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”[/color][/i]

For in following the greatest commandment (to love), all the will of God embodied in the Law and in the Prophets are fulfilled.

Many are lost in trying to live the life of Christ because they ignore or forget the greatest commandment - the best and most excellent way. They should stop trying to live the LIFE of Christ, and start living the LOVE of Christ.

2009/10/29 11:21Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Dear IWantAnguish,

I was probably typing my previous post when you made you last post. The sentence you provided with the blank should read: I love Jesus Christ.

The culmination of our rebirth is obedience and compliance with the greatest commandment: To love the Lord Jesus, our God, with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The changed life and the renewed heart of the true believer is anchored on a life-changing love for Christ. It is this love that gives us the power to deny ourselves and to seek only to please the Lord. Without such love for Jesus, one has not yet been reborn, but is probably still on the way to rebirth.

It is Jesus who is to be the focus, the goal, the meaning, and the essence of our lives. Both God the Father and the Holy Spirit point us always to Jesus Christ.

2009/10/29 11:38Profile
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Re:

Brother, I agree 100% that we 'should' love Jesus Christ.

But honestly, I don't think I do... if I do, I fear it is for the wrong reasons.

I have accepted the gift of the Holy Spirit, and shunned the Giver... The reason Eliezer gave so many gifts to Rebbecca was to show the riches of her husband to be, Isaac.

In the same way, the Holy Spirit enriches us, to point us to Christ. But should Rebbecca turn and love Isaac because of gifts?

What motive should cultivate our love for Jesus Christ? What He did for us? Or who He is?

I believe my mind may be ruined due to growing up in fake church. I know nothing about the attributes of God revealed through the cross.

"You need to love Jesus." Yes... but how?

2009/10/29 11:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy