SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Did it Cost You?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: Overcomers are my heroes....[ Jesus number one...]

by jimp on 2009/10/29 0:14:55

"hi, to answer this question one has to leave the one that bore the cost and put attention on myself. Jesus said" if I be lifted up I will draw all men..." whenever we lift up man we are making a mistake." jimp

Philippians 3:7-9 (New International Version)

Your testimony does not necessarily mean that you are lifting yourself up, or, "putting attention upon yourself." It is true that Jesus bore the cost of every soul ever created, but the bible is implicit that there is also a
COST for the believer. Consider the parables of the "TREASURE IN THE FIELD", and, THE PEARL OF GREAT PRICE, and the admonition of our Lord himself;Luke 14:25-27 (New International Version)

The Cost of Being a Disciple
25. Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26. "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple!"

Yes, it does mean that we must pay a price to gain Him, and yes, you are right in that what we think we may have paid, may well be but bragging, or the machinations of our own spiritual pride and self righteousness, but, as the apostle Paul testifies, it may not.

7. "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8.What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9. and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

I appreciate your ideas of self depreciation, which is surely necessary, but sometimes though who HAVE paid the cost, such as Paul, are very encouraging to us that are faced with doing so. It can be a hard thing, to Pay the costs, of following Jesus.

I think of John Bunyan, languishing in jail, while his wife and children suffered, and his beloved blind daughter, the light of his earthly life, died so young, partly because of his imprisonment and deprivation imposed on her. It broke his heart, but he went on in victory.

He stood for the fullness of the gospel, and his duty to freely preach the gospel, away from the confines of Religious control. [Anglican ] He was offered release, by his word alone, that he would no longer preach freely. Bunyan stood; He refused to trade temporary freedom for eternal freedom; HE PAID THE PRICE!, and opened a door for multitudes that followed to obey Jesus by the spirit and Liberty!

I could go on; David Brainard, who paid with his health and life, to preach to the American Indians, C. T. Studd, who forsook wealth and Privilege's to suffer deprivation around the world, for Jesus's sake and the lost, Hudson Taylor, the same, and Whitefield, who just wore out around 50, and died......on and on and on....and I am encouraged.

These are they who have overcome, against all odds, except the fact that Jesus is Lord, and he proved it to these men, and their testimony proves it to me, as do my contemporary brothers do, and have, on this thread. Hallelujah!

2009/10/29 10:36
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

We were just trying to get an old stereo system working. The CD player was broke, so we tried the tape cassette and my wife put in an old tape that happened to be a Keith Green one I had not heard for many a year.
What I heard was the following song and I thought of this thread.

Well, I pledge my head to heaven for the Gospel,
And I ask no man on Earth to fill my needs.
Like the sparrow up above, I am enveloped in His love,
And I trust Him like those little ones, He feeds.

Well I pledge my wife to heaven, for the Gospel,
Though our love each passing day just seems to grow.
As I told her when we wed, I'd surely rather be found dead,
Than to love her more than the one who saved my soul.

I'm your child, and I want to be in your family forever.
I'm your child, and I'm going to follow you,
No matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.
Well I pledge my son to heaven for the gospel.
Though he's kicked and beaten, ridiculed and scorn.
I will teach him to rejoice, and lift a thankful praising voice,
And to be like Him who bore the nails and crown of thorns.

I'm your child, and I want to be in your family forever.
I'm your child, and I'm going to follow you,
No matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.
Oh no matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.
Well I've had the chance to gain the world, and to live just like a king,
But without your love, it doesn't mean a thing.

Oh no matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost,
Oh no matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.
Well I pledge my son, I pledge my wife, I pledge my head to heaven,
I pledge my son, I pledge my wife, I pledge my head to heaven, for the gospel.

By the way I have been very challenged by the testimonies given.

2009/10/29 16:10Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, 45 years of joy in the Lord... what did it cost me... what did it cost the rich young ruler who is spending an eternity in torment...what did it cost me... in 45 years i have not had a cold or the flu or a headache...i have been around great people who have demonstrated the love of God. been in great churches that changed the lives of thousands...been able to preach the gospel to the poor...have eternal life zoe... Jesus lives inside me. it has cost me nothing.. jimp

2009/10/29 22:13Profile

Re: To Reign with Christ we must pay a cost.

Hebrews 11

24. By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter,

25.choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin,

26considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward.

{..Moses' cost was not only the the throne of the most powerful nation on Earth, but his "ill treatment" by choosing God's people over the pinnacle of the world...embracing "THE REPROACH OF CHRIST."

27. By faith he (left Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured, as seeing Him who is unseen.

By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood, so that he who destroyed the firstborn would not touch them.

29. By faith they passed through the Red Sea as though they were passing through dry land; and the Egyptians, when they attempted it, were drowned.

{ The cost of all of the Israelites who left with moses was The Wilderness, having left home and hearth to wander without provision or guarantee.}

30. By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encircled for seven days.

31. By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish along with those who were disobedient, after she had welcomed the spies in peace.

{ Rahab too, forsook all to pay the cost to believe.} A grandmother of David and thereby Jesus.

32. And what more shall I say? For time will fail me if I tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets,

{....Paid the cost of persecution, slander, being hated and hunted, yet endured.}

33. who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions,

34.quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.

35. Women received back their dead by resurrection; and others were tortured, not accepting their release, so that they might obtain a better resurrection;

{...tortured, not accepting release....that's would qualify as paying a cost to follow Jesus.]

36. and others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment.

37.They were stoned, they were sawn in two,they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated

38.(men of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground.

{ This is and was the remnant bride. Even today...[ it's hard to believe ] there are christian joyfully paying this cost of following the Lamb; the cost of being hunted and treated like criminals, imprisoned, and yes, even executed.}

39. And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised,

40.because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

We, too are given the privilege to suffer, and endure in Christ, against the wrath of the world, our own evil natures, and the powers of Satan and his evil.

A gospel that sees only the blessing and benefits of Jesus,....{the Prosperity gospel ] and endorses them as the true gospel, is a lying gospel, and a false one. All of those who live GODLY in Christ Jesus,
[b]SHALL[/b] suffer persecution, and we shall reign with HIM, IF we suffer with him.

2009/10/30 6:02
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
A gospel that sees only the blessing and benefits of Jesus,....{the Prosperity gospel ] and endorses them as the true gospel, is a lying gospel, and a false one. All of those who live GODLY in Christ Jesus, SHALL suffer persecution, and we shall reign with HIM, IF we suffer with him

Amen Brother Tom.

Many of our brethren throughout the world are giving the ultimate cost of their lives. This recent report from the Barnabus Fund tells of one Pastor in Nigeria who preached to his murderers and was praising God while being killed...

'Perhaps the most shocking element of the recent violence in Nigeria was the brutal murders of the Christian pastors. When asked to convert to Islam, they refused, and were beheaded on the instruction of the sect leader, Mohammed Yusuf. One of them, Sabo Yakubu, was the pastor of a congregation in Maiduguri. The father of seven was hacked to death with a machete. Another Christian leader, George Orjih, preached to Yusuf about Christ before his martyrdom. He was described as a fearless and hardworking man. A fellow kidnap victim, who was later released, reported that "while we were lying there, tied up, George turned to me and said 'if you survive, tell my brothers that I died well, and am living with Christ. And if we all die, we know that we die for the Lord.'
'One eye-witness says that Orjih was singing and praying all through the ordeal and encouraging the believers not to give up, even unto death. "It was his words of encouragement that kept us till the time we were released."

2009/10/30 6:20Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the gospel that only sees the blessings from Jesus aka the prosperity gospel... or is it the gospel of whatever state i find myself in i rejoice.okay ; i live in a room that cost 300 a mo. including utiliities,drive a 25 yr old car w over 250m miles...lived by faith mostly for 45 yrs . ministered to homeless .. been homeless ... given away a fortune... lost a family ... been a missionary to a foreign country on faith ... like i said oh temporal brother ... it cost me nothing jimp what joy it is to serve the Master.

2009/10/30 7:40Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

jimp wrote:
hi, the gospel that only sees the blessings from Jesus aka the prosperity gospel... or is it the gospel of whatever state i find myself in i rejoice.okay ; i live in a room that cost 300 a mo. including utiliities,drive a 25 yr old car w over 250m miles...lived by faith mostly for 45 yrs . ministered to homeless .. been homeless ... given away a fortune... lost a family ... been a missionary to a foreign country on faith ... like i said oh temporal brother ... it cost me nothing jimp what joy it is to serve the Master.

Praise God! Perhaps your witness will serve to encourage others who have yet to understand that gaining Christ is worth everything. Fellowship and encouraging each other is the point of this thread. It is not boasting.

2009/10/30 11:35Profile
john1140

A Sister in Christ from Michigan

Re:

Thanks HeyDave for the lyrics.... and everyone for the input.

One of the things that I was hoping this question would do is to encourage me and help me to draw strength from the saints as I prepare to make a really tough decision. I know that as we mature in Christ, we can say in retrospect that serving Christ has cost us nothing; we can count those former things as rubbish, dung, etc... I think that there is a cost that we all have to pay that involves a severe emotional tearing away from our idols to forsake all to follow Christ. Moreover, I don't think that the forsaking is a one time event, but is continuous throughout the course of our walk with Christ.

In Christ,
sonya

2009/10/30 13:30Profile

Re: The cost is that I no longer live.

Amen Sonya. Isn't it all really related to Lordship? Who is the lord of your life, and why.

I think of the intense religious, that sacrificed greatly for their beliefs, or sense of duty. In their minds, it was "the cost", of course; living a "sacrificial" life, "laying down everything" to gain Jesus. I think of mother Teresa of Calcutta, who was never born again, but toiled ceaselessly, night and day, doing good social work for the desperate poor. {and leading none to Christ, for she never knew Him...] I think of the multitude of catholic Nuns, and the women who were taught that celibacy was the was the way to pay the cost, and counted their lives so, as a payment to God to gain Him.

Jesus commanded us to "Count the cost."

27. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

28. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

29. Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it...

There is a convoluted gospel that counts our suffering and disciplines as a trade off to God, to satisfy His warped sense of satisfaction based upon how much we actually give to him; by means of suffering, duty, and works that are supposed to please him. Only he holds the scales, so who knows how much is enough; after all, he is God and rather big, so his appetite for duty in these terms must be rather large.

So what IS the cost? I submit that the cost, is heart obedience unto all of His convictions; a life of absolute surrender to Love him with all, no matter the cost,and to obey him, without compromise, to gain all. It is Your way is my way, no matter what. It is, "YOU ARE LORD!", NOT ME!....and a resolve to pay that inward vow of devotion, no matter what. My future husband, my children, my parents, my future!...{ think of the Moravian primitive missionaries }, all of my hopes, dreams, wealth , health, happiness and ME!...belong to You, because you alone are God, and worthy of it.

I am not worthy of stewarding my life. If so, I guarantee a useless life; possibly a religious one, but useless just the same.

Paying the cost , i think, is living a daily life of denying ME!, and being willing to love, and to worship Jesus, just because He is worthy, with no strings.

Job, who I believe we will see sitting on one of the 24 Thrones in Heaven said, "Even though he slay me, YET will I worship Him!" This was after losing his children, possessions, and wealth, and after he suffered the rejection of a cruel and angry wife. I will worship him no matter what!

He did not attempt to justify the holiness of his life, though he was bewildered; yet, he did not sin with his lips, cursing or blaming God. Job knew that the Lord gives, and takes.

This is the spirit of the martyrs. The cost to them, was everything, but the finality of it just happened, as they walked daily just loving, and obeying Jesus. "Even though He slay me..."..and the guarantee with God is that it will happen, one way or another.

The cost is death to ourselves.

19. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

"and I no longer live....."

2009/10/30 18:12

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy