SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Did it Cost You?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
john1140

A Sister in Christ from Michigan

What Did it Cost You?

Recently, I have been studying the book of Matthew with particular emphasis on the cost of discipleship, and what it will cost to completely follow Christ. After listening to Paul Washer speak this week at a conference, I realize how I have basically thrown God's call to me in the garbage to pursue the love of family. I also am realizing that as I count the cost, it is difficult to let some things go. I know I'm not the only one, so can some of you share your experiences with me? What was the one things you had the most difficulty relinquishing to follow Christ? How did you let it go?

thank you so much.
sonya

2009/10/25 0:18Profile

Re: What Did it Cost You?

Who can say with a clear clear conscience that they have attained to this , "letting go?" I will share my experience, at least as far as I have got, with the caveat that the standard is never, never any man's experience. Our standard must always be Jesus, and him alone. Consider this when you think of discipleship. It is unto Jesus alone. Having said that, I'll share this.

I think it is never the same. God molds people according to what we perceive as circumstance. I consider this scripture in Hebrews 12:

4.You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin;
5.and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,
"MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD,
NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;
6FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,
AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."

7. It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?

8. But if you are without discipline of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

9. Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?

10. For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.

11. All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

12. Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble,

13. and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.

14 Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.

15. See to it that no one (comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;

16. that there be no immoral or godless person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal.

I had a rebellion in me, a lust and pride, that was out of control. I seemed to have given up, living in a fleshly world , half in, half out of the kingdom, and I did not feel conviction of my sin. I thought everything was OK, and God's lack of involvement with me, was somehow an endorsement of me, in my awful sin and corrupt selfishness.

One night God came to me, AFTER I was a Christian 17 years, while I was in my backslidden state. It was a though I was grabbed by a single hair upon my head, and dangled over a very, very real Hell. I heard the wails and cries of the dead, along with the confusion in thundering sound, and I smelled the urine and sulphur odor of Hades, and the demon's voices of torment. I KNEW that I was going there; that I was being damned.

Only one scripture came to me, "No man shall pluck you out of my hand!", and I spoke it over and over again as I prayed, that I would be saved. I cried; "Save me, Lord Jesus!"

I was in this state for about 12 hours. I rose up with a terror of the lord that has not left me or waned. I am terrified of Jesus to this hour, and His wrath, and I love him. Now I think it is impossible not to have the fear of the Lord, commensurate with your love of Him. He also reconfirmed his love for me, in very clear ways.

I endure now, that I might be saved, and knowing the terror of the Lord, I persuade men.

At some point thereafter, I lost everything. I was rejected by all of my friends, eventually, some 25 year disciple friends. I was rejected by every member of my family, including my wife and my only son; My mother too, and my father. I lost my health, my business, my home, and became homeless, and that over the age of 50; wandering around with a bag of clothes 1000 miles away from anyone I knew. I was not in sin. In one two day period, I led everyone I met to the Lord.

I have still been rejected relentlessly, especially by the religious, and the religious system. I am regularly in warfare that is painful, and always have the feeling that I do not have a life; it is gone. I am yet alone as much as anyone I know. I do not, though, count this cost as a high one. It is necessary, and it is mine. It's my cross, and no one can have it.

I say this partly with humor, but my point is, we all have to pay our part...to buy the Pearl of great price, and the cost is always the same for everybody who would gain Him;

EVERYTHING.

2009/10/25 7:12
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Re:

Sobering testimony brother Tom.

Christianity is no walk in the park.

I have lost all my friends after coming to Christ.

Some of my family members believe I am a fanatic; after becoming born again, opposed to being a nominal Christian.

2009/10/25 10:18Profile
john1140

Thank you both.

2009/10/26 21:13Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

I hope you don't mind if I reply without too much detail. Following Christ cost me a promising career in which I had invested 10 years of my life.

2009/10/28 12:45Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I was in a relationship with a woman for 4 years. 3 years of those we were engaged. The cost of following Christ cost me what I thought would be my future wife.

2009/10/28 12:50Profile
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Feb 26, 2009, I moved from Phoenix to Winslow. The move was my final break from all that is of this world. I'm dead to it, and it is dead to me. No TV, no sports, no nothing except God and God alone. I wish I had been this wise 40 years ago.
If you have been crucified with Christ, then you should be dead to this world as much as a person in the graveyard, except for family, church, and provision responsibility.
I have no part with this world. I'm dead to it. The war within, spirit against flesh has subsided, flesh died. Words of captivity that become strongholds have been torn down. My thoughts are now captive of Christ. If a thought inappropriate comes to mind, I quickly dismiss it and as God to remove if from me. My whole life is not consumed with God. Glory. He speaks to me and uses me as He chooses. It is no longer I thank live, but Christ that liveth in me. Gal 2:20.

"0"
http://whosoeverwill.ning.com

2009/10/28 20:54Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Compared to what I have gained, I have lost nothing. That God would love me enough to be with me at all times, that He would take care of my every need, that He would love me even when I make a mistake is joy unspeakable. He has put a song in my heart that just never stops.

Many things had to go, but they were just illusions of happiness - things that never brought any real joy. Most of them were just chains and fetters in disguise. It was easy to let them go by gazing upon He who is above all - my Joy, my Life, my Love.

2009/10/28 21:15Profile
john1140

Re:

King Jimmy, Onesimus, & HeartSong,
Thank you so much for sharing. All of the responses are very encouraging.

sonya

2009/10/28 21:52Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, to answer this question one has to leave the one that bore the cost and put attention on myself. Jesus said" if I be lifted up I will draw all men..." whenever we lift up man we are making a mistake. jimp

2009/10/29 4:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy