SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How important is seeking God?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rbanks

How important is seeking God?

Here are just a few scriptures of a multitude that have to do with seeking the Lord. It seems obvious to me that our gain or lost with God has much to do with our attitude concerning seeking after Him.

Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Isaiah 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.

2 Chronicles 15:2 And he went out to meet Asa, and said unto him, Hear ye me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin; The LORD is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you.

Psalms 9:10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

diligently seek--Greek, "seek out" God. Compare "seek early," Pr 8:17. Not only "ask" and "seek," but "knock," Mt 7:7; compare Heb 11:12; Lu 13:24, "Strive" as in an agony of contest.

Notice, does it not look like that if we continue to seek God in prayer totally giving ourselves to his will continually that we can overcome everything of the enemy and triumph in the things of God. Also, does it not seem like that if we do not continually seek after God that we will be overcome by the devil and even lose out with God.

Do you have any thoughts from the word of God?

2009/10/24 18:52Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: How important is seeking God?

From the first moment that we believe, or have faith in God, our first course of action should be to seek Him through prayer and through reading His Word. How can one say that he believes in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour and not feel a strong desire to get to know Him as quickly as possible? I believe that having the burning desire and the energy (because it does require a lot of effort) to earnestly seek God is one of the primary proofs of true faith. Anyone who claims to believe in God yet does not strive to know Him does not have true faith.

Only by earnestly seeking God can one understand enough about Him to love Him and to obey His commands. Unless we seek, we will never know or understand Him.

From my understanding of Scripture, seeking God through reading of His Word is the true meaning of this passage:

[i]Jn 6:53-56 Jesus said to them, [color=CC3300]“I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him."[/color][/i]

For we know that the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God is also "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us" (Jn 1:14). The flesh of Jesus is the Word of God.

2009/10/24 20:03Profile
rbanks

Re:

Amen! Good thoughts Leo!

Jesus said that if we continue in his word, then we are his disciples indeed, and we will know the truth and the truth will make us free. He also said that his words were Spirit and they are life. The true seeker wants to know God himself. Not just to believe but to know!

Blessings to you!

2009/10/24 20:48Profile

Re:

I totally agree, Leo. I would take it one step further and say that we should read and study the Bible directly, instead of reading books by others "about" the Bible.

God's Word is Spirit breathed, and the Holy Spirit is the one that opens the Word, and quickens it (makes it alive, and understandable) to/for us.

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

Leo_Grace wrote:
From the first moment that we believe, or have faith in God, our first course of action should be to seek Him through prayer and through reading His Word. How can one say that he believes in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour and not feel a strong desire to get to know Him as quickly as possible? I believe that having the burning desire and the energy (because it does require a lot of effort) to earnestly seek God is one of the primary proofs of true faith. Anyone who claims to believe in God yet does not strive to know Him does not have true faith.

Only by earnestly seeking God can one understand enough about Him to love Him and to obey His commands. Unless we seek, we will never know or understand Him.

From my understanding of Scripture, seeking God through reading of His Word is the true meaning of this passage:

[i]Jn 6:53-56 Jesus said to them, [color=CC3300]“I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him."[/color][/i]

For we know that the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God is also "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us" (Jn 1:14). The flesh of Jesus is the Word of God.

2009/10/24 22:51
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings

I would say that it is "VITALLY" important and that with out time with God ones walk with Him will certainly suffer. There is no doubt in that.

God Bless
mj

2009/10/24 23:17Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy