SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Forgiveness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Forgiveness

A week of revival meetings has started at the church I fellowship at. Last night the evangelist starting theme was on forgiveness.

He talked about formal forgiveness vs sincere forgiveness. He shared a story of his grandchildren to illustrate the difference.

The little boy and girl were fighting. The little girl had started it with pushing the boys buttons. It got to a point where the little boy bonked her on the head with a toy. The little girl started to cry and wale. The grandfather new the fulleness of what had happened. He told the little boy that she should not have been taunting him but that was no excuse for him to do what he did. He told him to apolgize and forgive. So the little boy hesitantly said "Sooorrryy". Grandpa told him now you didn't mean that. I want you to hug sissy and really apologize. So this time little boy hugged and said sorry but also began to cry. Sissy began to cry as well and they bothed just hugged and hugged and cried and crid for a bit. Then little boy turned to grandpa and said now you got me cryin grandpa.

I may not have retold the story as well as he told it last night, but it illustated the differnece between formal and sincere forgiveness.

I also remember reading Goforths ,"By thy Spirit" about revival in China. I remember a part in there in breaking the roadblock to revival that it had to do with forgiveness towards one another.

Seems pretty important to me.

2009/10/22 9:50
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Forgiveness

Quote:
I remember a part in there in breaking the roadblock to revival that it had to do with forgiveness towards one another.

I agree. However, the issue goes a whole lot deeper then then just simple forgiveness, as I see it. This story well demonstrates this issue: that of the little girl taunting the boy. The grandfather saw it so why did he not work to avert what was sure to come, knowing full well the probable outcome given children's nature?

Many times in the life of a brotherhood there are underlying issues that are not holy. There are others who see it but refuse to get involved to bring about some kind of resolution. They will sit back and be quiet and maybe 'pray' about it. Since the devil sees this as a prime opportunity to wreck havoc in this brotherhood he will exploit it and you will quickly have a full blown event that gets nasty. Then the one who explodes over this issue is told that his attitude is sinful and that he needs to apologize and the underlying contributing issue is never dealt with nor confronted, lying there there quiet ready to strike again at an opportune time.

The bottom line to forgiveness in a brotherhood means there must be a confrontation of contributing issues and each must be dealt with and some kind of resolution sought and only then can you have forgiveness with reconciliation.

Jesus taught this in Luke 24:47: "and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem." NASB. Notice Jesus is saying that repentance is essential for forgiveness. Too many times this element is ignored and completely passed over. When this happens you open the door to rank apostasy.

In the meantime, one must live with a forgiving mentality. There is the human element in which misunderstandings occur in which reside no malice whatsoever. This kind of thing happens all the time and a forgiving mentality soothes many ruffled feathers and prevent a lot of knee-jerk reactions.

My thoughts and blessings on this thread...

ginnyrose

2009/10/22 10:30Profile

Re:

quote from ginnyrose,

"In the meantime, one must live with a forgiving mentality. There is the human element in which misunderstandings occur in which reside no malice whatsoever. This kind of thing happens all the time and a forgiving mentality soothes many ruffled feathers and prevent a lot of knee-jerk reactions."

I agree,very well said.

2009/10/22 14:34
BeingMolded

USA

Re:

Prov. 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath but grievous words stirreth up anger" This verse has helped me through many times in life to prevent a situation which could turn into explosive situations to begin with. I had a close relative that I could not express my point of veiw about anything with out getting a harsh lecture about how wrong I was even though I knew in my heart this person was wrong. To keep from makeing matters worse I would answer in a kind way and just drop the subject. Later when this person was proven wrong by circumstances that happened, an appology never came for the harsh words that were spoken. I was not the only one who was treated this way by this person. I did a lot of crying and praying about the matter but when I really forgave and got a burden for this person and started praying for the person instead of about the person I was able to truly forgive.
Unforgiveness in our heart is like an acid inside a vessel. It eats away and destroys the container.
We are in control of our attitudes. We can't control what others think or say or do but we can control our attitudes and how we react to them.I choose to forgive instead of holding a grudge. I have learned it is much healthier physically and spiritually.

2009/10/22 15:24Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Quote:
I also remember reading Goforths ,"By thy Spirit" about revival in China. I remember a part in there in breaking the roadblock to revival that it had to do with forgiveness towards one another.

Thats what we need to get rid of our roadblocks that are on our way and break up the fallow ground of our heart. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humility is a lost jewel nowdays. Few have this grace or desire it.

We want the power of the Spirit but not the purity of the heart and the cross. There is no short cut to pentecost and personal revival.The way to baptism with the Holy Spirit is always thru the experience of the cross and the blood of the Lamb.

2009/10/22 16:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy