Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Biblical Parenting

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

Biblical Parenting

My husband and I recently attended a wonderful weekend parenting conference put on by NANC (National Association of Nouthetic Counselors- www.nanc.org ). This training is all from a biblical perspective.

I do feel led to post a few messages about parenting from a biblical perspective. It is so important these days to keep our homes Christ-centered. If you do not have children yet, or your children are already grown, maybe you can pass these on to someone else who might need them or save them for future use. :)

Keep this in mind: All growth and change that we would like in our families begins with us first. As we grow and change into Christ-likeness, the easier it is for our families to learn to grow and change. The more we allow ourselves to be "shepherded" by the Good Shepherd, the better shepherds we will be for our children.

Next time I will discuss our job as parents and how we are to "shepherd our children's hearts" and how the gospel should be central to raising our little lambs.

A fellow traveler in His name, Chanin

2004/9/21 10:55Profile
moreofHim

Re: Biblical Goal of Parenting

The biblical Goal of Parenting

What general biblical objectives will guide and focus our view of life and therefore our training of our children? What is a worthy biblical goal? The familiar first question of the Shorter Catechism answers these questions:

Q- What is the chief end of man?
A- Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.

Is there any other goal that is worthy? Are we willing to start here with our children? We must equip our children to function in a culture that has abandoned the knowledge of God. If you teach them to use their abilities, aptitudes, talents and intelligence to make their lives better, without reference to God, you turn them away from God. If your objectives are anything other than "Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever," you teach your children to function in the culture on its terms.

How do we do this? We pander to their desires and wishes. We teach them to find their souls delight in going places and doing things. We attempt to satisfy their lust for excitement. We fill their young lives with distractions from God. We give them material things and take delight in possessions. Then we hope that somewhere down the line they will see that a life worth living is found only in knowing and serving God.

In terms of Godward orientation, we are training them in the idolatry of materialism. Years spent denying the importance of a deep conviction of scriptural truth will not develop into godly piety during adolescence or early adulthood.

From the earliest days, they should be taught that they are creatures made in the image of God-- made for God. They should learn that they will only "find themselves" as they find [b]Him[/b]. Our children must grow to see that real living is experienced when he stands before God and says, "Whom have I in heaven but You? And being with you I desire nothing on earth" (Psalm 73:25)

"Shepherding Your Child's Heart"-Tedd Tripp

2004/9/22 8:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy