SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
White_Stone

North Central Florida

whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached

Philippians 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: 16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: 17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. 18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Considering this passage. This sounds as if it should be a unifier of Denominations. We are interested in others thoughts on this, confident that the Holy Spirit will open our understanding.

Kind regards,
white stone & Mr. white stone

2009/10/19 11:59Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached

Dear Mr & Mrs White_Stone,

I would not go so far as to say that the efficacy of preaching the gospel of Christ, whether preached by a true believer or an impostor, is a means or a sign towards unity of denominations - for "what fellowship can light have with darkness"?

Rather I see it as proof of the potency of God's Word and of His gospel, in and of itself. I came to know God by simply reading His Word, without benefit of an evangelist, or a preacher, or anyone else to explain the Bible to me - I was born again free of any denominational influences.

God's Word is powerful, as Scripture says:

[i]Isa 55:10-11 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.[/i]

The messenger is merely a vessel to channel the power of the Word.

2009/10/19 21:10Profile
pende

Yes unified body is a must...
Romans 12:5 So we, being many,are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Ephes 4:13 Till we all come in the Unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ.

2009/10/19 21:57Profile
bdcutler

Mitchell SD

Re:

Leo_Grace said:

Quote:
I would not go so far as to say that the efficacy of preaching the gospel of Christ, whether preached by a true believer or an impostor, is a means or a sign towards unity of denominations - for "what fellowship can light have with darkness"?

I agree. In fact, it seems to me that Paul here is making a true judgment: judging what he can see (outward fruit, what is said) rather than what he cannot (the intentions of the heart). It seems to me that between the scripture in question and Galatians 1:6-10 that the message makes the difference. If someone is deceived and is teaching deception (a false gospel), it must be opposed. It doesn't matter if the person in question is sincere or not. Likewise if the gospel is preached, God can (and does) use the base things in the world to bring message of the Gospel to the world. The power is in the Gospel, not the messenger.

Of course that doesn't mean that we can behave however we want and it's okay. There is a judgment coming and those that bring shame to the Name of Christ among the heathen will not escape.

2009/10/19 22:05Profile

Re:

Agreed bdcutler,

And would even go so far as to say that God not only uses the base things of the world to bring the message of the gospel, but even even wicked unbelievers mocking the (true)gospel, which is who Paul is talking about in Philippians 1.

Imagine being a Roman in 50 AD and hearing a man mocking Christ and Christianity (keep in mind you've never heard anything about Christ before). You really might be interested and seek out those Christians to find out more about Christ, and in so doing become a Christian yourself. I have heard of a few modern day cases where someone was saved through "the witness" of a mocker.

Consider these two passages:

Jews in Rome speaking to Paul- "But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against." (Acts 28:22)

And Paul writing to the Romans- "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world." (Romans 1:8)

That is very different than unity with denominations that preach salvation by works or a watered-down easy-believism. Paul rejoiced in good content even from a malicious witness and the Galatians 1 passage shows what his attitude was towards a false, perverted gospel- which we know is preached in many denominations. To those he said

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them." (Eph. 5:11)
See 2 John 9-11 also.

2009/10/20 0:34
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Thanks to all contributors

Your insights and comments are very much appreciated and well noted. I believe our first thoughts on this passage were not well considered - we were wrong.

Kindest regards,
Mr. & Mrs. white stone

2009/10/20 11:30Profile

Quote:
by White_Stone on 2009/10/19 8:59:50 Philippians 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: 16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: 17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. 18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. Considering this passage. This sounds as if it should be a unifier of Denominations.

When this passage was written there were no denominations.

Even in the true Church today there are no denominations.

Hallelujah!

2009/10/21 20:42

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy