SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Did you not learn Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ThePilgrim

Did you not learn Christ

Re: "Did you not learn Christ"
This is quote from the anniversary message preached at Loughor which has turned many a minister to dismiss such preaching as "not for them".

My own pastor claims that ministers should not be preached to; as they are called to minister.
There is a sincere belief that revival will come despite a challenge to the church. Can we have revival without challenge? I think not.

Here is the quote that caused offence at Loughor:

"You will not stand before your elder when you depart this world! You will not stand before your pastors when you depart this world!
You will stand before the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, you will stand before Jesus Christ, you will stand before God Almighty God! And He is not going to ask you for your doctrinal statements or your carefully worded creeds. He'll simply ask you: DID YOU NOT LEARN CHRIST! "

Here is the question. What does it mean to learn Christ?

2009/10/18 13:22Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Did you not learn Christ

Eph 4v20 tells us, 'But you have not so learned Christ'

The preceding verses tells us we should no longer walk in futility of mind, having our understanding darkened. Blindness of heart, past feeling, given over to lewdness, uncleanness with greediness.

But you have not so learned Christ.

Now we know what it is not. What it is follows.

'If indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus,

'that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,

'and be renewed in the spirit of your mind...
Ephesians 4v17-24.

Jesus Himself says, 'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.' Matt 11v29.

There is, no doubt, more to this, but I'll leave it at that for now.

God bless.

2009/11/2 6:03Profile
ThePilgrim

Re:

Sister, can you expand on that for me?

Can the context change in light of the above quote? Would a change of emphasis from a preacher mean false teaching?

Pilgrim

2009/11/3 15:30Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Did you not learn Christ

I'm not certain which quote you mean.

Did you mean the one that caused offence at Loughor, "You will not stand before your elder when you depart this world!..."

Or that your pastor said that ministers should not be preached to?

However, in 1 Corintians 11v1, the apostle Paul states, "Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ"

We look to the life and example of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and follow that. We follow His teachings. We feed on the word of God.

We reject corruption of any kind in our lives, and hate sin and love righteousness, Hebrews 1v9.

We do the will of God and keep His commandmemts.

We learn Christ.

God bless.

2009/11/4 8:46Profile
ThePilgrim

Re:

Yes to both.

It is funny that some preachers teach as though entrance into heaven is based on your own doctrinal statement.

I think this is what the Loughor quote is about. It brings us back to the ultimate reality that is conformity to Christ that is the real measure of our doctrine.

2009/11/4 14:20Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

ThePilgrim wrote:
Yes to both.

It is funny that some preachers teach as though entrance into heaven is based on your own doctrinal statement.

I think this is what the Loughor quote is about. It brings us back to the ultimate reality that is conformity to Christ that is the real measure of our doctrine.

Not just conformity to Christ. Loving the Lord Jesus Christ must come first. It is the ultimate evidence of being born again:

[i]1Jn 4:7-8 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. [b]Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love[/b].[/i]

It is in loving God that we are renewed and empowered by the Spirit to obey His commands, and to be conformed to Him in Christ-likeness.

2009/11/4 16:01Profile
ThePilgrim

Re:

Leo Wrote
Not just conformity to Christ. Loving the Lord Jesus Christ must come first. It is the ultimate evidence of being born again:

I think you are confused on this issues and have put the cart before the horse.

Loving Christ is our work....which is filthy rags.

Conformity to Christ is the work of the Spirit...which is eternal.

To most, a love for Christ is expressed in words....the inward parts is where the real work is done.

2009/11/6 14:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy