SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Walking Through Dark Times... SURVIVAL!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Walking Through Dark Times... SURVIVAL!

I read this in a devotional and thought it would be very encouraging to share. Some points of it touched me and some situations I am going through and it helped me to think of some healthy perspectives:

---

[b]1 Peter 4:12-13[/b] - BELOVED, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

When Life becomes hard, the way we react, isn't something we plan, but our responses do matter. (Philippians 1:27). What is necessary for our witness to survive the storms of life undeminished?

[b]S-U-R-V-I-V-A-L[/b]

[b]S[/b]piritual healthiness is a key to enduring. Check yourself for signs of spiritual illness: lack of meaningful time in God's Word; using the word's methods to cope; decreasing interest in prayer; wavering obedience.

[b]U[/b]nderstand the situation from God's perspective. Seek to view the difficulties as God does; then trust and obey.

[b]R[/b]emember whose you are. You are a child of God, bought at a price by His Son Jesus and guided by His Spirit. You are not forgotten no matter what your circumstances imply.

[b]V[/b]anquish fear and worry by recalling God's promises and walking by faith. (Romans 1:17)

[b]I[/b]mpart to others the Father's love through small acts of kindness. Reach out beyond your own pain to those God has placed nearby.

[b]V[/b]iew trials as opportunities to know God more fully, and tell others what you are discovering.

[b]A[/b]ccept the help of others with gratitude. Allow them to serve you.

[b]L[/b]ean on God throughout the ordeal, and learn the spiritual lessons He desires to teach you. You' look bad and discover that your testimony not only remains intact but also shines brightly like the stars in a dark sky.

2004/9/21 0:54Profile
butterflies

Re: Walking Through Dark Times... SURVIVAL!

Thank you for this. It is really something how the Lord will reach His hand down and show us just how gracious and loving He is. This is something of what I've been going through and will keep this for my personal devotional time!

2004/9/21 9:24Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Good stuff brother.
Something floating around in the cranium of late.

Discipline.

Think that first part really hit's on it:
[i]Spiritual healthiness is a key to enduring. Check yourself for signs of spiritual illness: lack of meaningful time in God's Word; using the word's methods to cope; decreasing interest in prayer; wavering obedience[/i]

(Is that supposed to be "worlds"? Actually if we use the "words" methods we would be much better off)

"Drift"
----------------

But for all that we can't accomplish in our 'flesh' there is still much we can do and I guess what I had been dwelling on was what Paul said:

[i]1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. [/i]

A bit of commentary from Albert Barnes;

1Co 9:27 -
[b]But I keep under my body[/b] - (ὑπωπιάζω hupōpiazō). This word occurs in the New Testament only here and in Luk_18:5, “Lest by her continual coming she ‘weary’ me.” The word is derived probably from ὑπώπιον hupōpion, the part of the face “under the eye” (Passow), and means properly, to strike under the eye, either with the fist or the cestus, so as to render the part livid, or as we say, “black and blue”; or as is commonly termed, “to give anyone a black eye.” The word is derived, of course, from the athletic exercises of the Greeks. It then comes to mean, “to treat anyone with harshness, severity, or cruelty;” and thence also, so to treat any evil inclinations or dispositions; or to subject one’s-self to mortification or self-denial, or to a severe and rigid discipline, that all the corrupt passions might be removed. The word here means, that Paul made use of all possible means to subdue his corrupt and carnal inclinations; to show that he was not under the dominion of evil passions, but was wholly under the dominion of the gospel.

[b]And bring it into subjection[/b] - (δουλαγωγῶ doulagōgō). This word properly means, to reduce to servitude or slavery; and probably was usually applied to the act of subduing an enemy, and leading him captive from the field of battle; as the captives in war were regarded as slaves. It then means, effectually and totally to subdue, to conquer, to reduce to bondage and subjection. Paul means by it, the purpose to obtain a complete victory over his corrupt passions and propensities, and a design to gain the mastery over all his natural and evil inclinations.

[b]Lest that by any means[/b] - See the note at 1Co_9:22. Paul designed to make every possible effort to be saved. He did not mean to be lost, but he meant to be saved. He felt that there was danger of being deceived and lost; and he meant by some means to have evidence of piety that would abide the trial of the Day of Judgment.

2004/9/21 9:49Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Thank you for this. It is really something how the Lord will reach His hand down and show us just how gracious and loving He is. This is something of what I've been going through and will keep this for my personal devotional time!

Praise God I am glad it blessed you Jennifer. I really like the acronyom that is easy to memorize.

Quote:
Discipline.

Amen bro. But I feel something the article helped bring perspective on is that when we are to be disciplined and dig our heels in, its not against an huge insurmountable problem, but is soemething that is there for a purpose and God has full control over the situation. I love the allegory book called "Hinds feet on High Places" where the calf (main character) would call on the name of the "shepard" at anytime and He would come instantly to his rescue. Even for us to give our problems and anxieties to the Lord daily will bring His active help and strength in our lifes. We have to be depedent on Him for His purposes are for whats best for us and if we submit to Him they will work out the best according to His will. If we resist the situation will just get harder and we will possibly have to face it over and over again until we submit to His will.

2004/9/21 10:35Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Wow! Nice. I'll be writing that acronym down. I would like to share about the goodness of God during trials rather than my complaints. I need to work on that. :-(

2004/9/22 16:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy