SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Young Southern Baptists Urged to Save the Denomination

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Young Southern Baptists Urged to Save the Denomination

[b]Young Southern Baptists Urged to Save the Denomination[/b]

Prominent Southern Baptist theologian R. Albert Mohler, Jr., implored young seminary students to save the denomination.

"It is very important that your generation redeem what has been lost, strengthen the things that remain," he said Friday at the close of a four-day conference on "Southern Baptists, Evangelicals, and the Future of Denominationalism."

His address at Union University in Jackson, Tenn., comes as the Southern Baptist Convention – the largest Protestant denomination in the country – has been experiencing decline in baptisms and membership in recent years and as cultural Christianity is quickly dying. ...

read more: www.christianpost.com

2009/10/12 11:35Profile

Re: Young Southern Baptists Urged to Save the Denomination

Interesting article. Denominations will not go quietly into the night, but their effective days have already passed. In Britain they are at deaths door. The Lord will raise up a new thing in these days, it may not be as "grand," as the former glories of the Baptists or the Methodists but it will be His. Much like the post exilic people re-building a temple that had been destroyed, people will scoff, but God will have His witness. I am sure that the Jewish people could not even conceive of the day that their Temple was destroyed, but the Lord allowed it for His own purposes. If the temple of God can be comletely destroyed after standing, in one fashion or another for 1000 years, then denominations can be swept away or die on the vine...........Frank

"Speakers throughout the Oct. 6-9 conference reiterated that there is a continuing need for denominations. Although there is no biblical mandate for establishing them,"

2009/10/12 12:00
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Good word, Frank.

Quote:

"Speakers throughout the Oct. 6-9 conference reiterated that there is a continuing need for denominations. Although there is no biblical mandate for establishing them..."

What irony, that those who claim so strongly a biblical foundation, and have the name fundamentalists, should seek so strongly to perpetuate something that has no "biblical mandate."

In that context, I often wonder what concept we have of "revival."

Are we expecting God to come down and "revive" our denomination? Will God send "revival" to the southern Baptist churches, and restore them to their glory days? Or to Calvary Chapel churches? Or Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada churches? etc. etc.

Many among these denominations are seeking God and praying for revival these days. That is good, and God is going to answer... but I think when He does, it is going to be utterly devastating... like people who dwell in houses of wood inviting a consuming Fire over for dinner.

I recall listening to the tape of Carter Conlon's message at Greenock last year. I can't quote it exactly, but he said something like, Don't expect God to come down and vindicate your agenda. He comes down to vindicate His own agenda. We must be totally surrendered to Him, and willing to be simply the body of Christ in which He dwells and moves and does as it pleases HIM.

AD

2009/10/12 13:01Profile

Re:

Hi Ad...

"Are we expecting God to come down and "revive" our denomination? Will God send "revival" to the southern Baptist churches, and restore them to their glory days? Or to Calvary Chapel churches? Or Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada churches? etc. etc."

I think the answer is no. The essence of what Carter Conlon said last year was that God would not come down to glorify a man's ministry. He would come down to glorify Himself. It seems like the "writing is on the wall.".....Frank

2009/10/12 13:30

Re:

Quote:
"Are we expecting God to come down and "revive" our denomination? Will God send "revival" to the southern Baptist churches, and restore them to their glory days? Or to Calvary Chapel churches? Or Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada churches? etc. etc."

I hope not. In the early Church a Pastor would be over a whole city and people broke bread from house to house. Now that is worth going back to, eh? I prefer a gathering in a home setting over a church building. imho!

2009/10/12 13:43
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Young Southern Baptists Urged to Save the Denomination

I believe that an attempt to save any denomination would be going against God and attempting to save that which God is calling His people out of .

Mike

2009/10/12 16:05Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy