SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : comparing a fish with a serpent.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
brodav9

Sylacauga Alabama

Re: a deeper look

thank you twayneb. I thought I would pray about some things, and a interesting thing came to mind. The rod of Moses. In Ex. 7:9-15 Moses brings the rod of God to Pharoah. He was told by God at the bush it would turn into a serpent. When he did this it happened and the serpent even ate up the magicians serpents. In Ex.17:9 Moses tells Joshua that it is the rod of God. In Num. 21:7 The people say we have sinned against God and you.(Moses). The rod and serpent were a reminder to the people that God can do a miracle. When they looked at it they remembered that a miracle was done before ,and it could be done for them by healing them. What it represented was forgiveness and to remember that God had given Moses the leadership under God. it was a act of mercy for Pharoah but he laughed at it. But for God's people it was a mercy that they could believe in. Jesus when he was on the cross was also a reminder of all the miracles that he did before. And in Jn.3:2 Nicodemus recognises a man cannot do these miracles unless God is with him. Jn. 3:13 Jesus here reveals that he is God and in v.14 He reveals the repetition of v.13 son of man. the son of man v.13 is from heaven and v.14 the son of man must be lifted up. So we have the comparison that Moses who gave a sign with God with him. Now will be the anti-type the real God who does these miracles will be lifted up on a pole (cross) and all who look on him shall be healed, including full salvation. Nicodemus can now see it is very God and not a man who will be on the cross to bring salvation and healing to the world Jn.3:16.

2009/10/14 22:17Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I had never thought about any connection between the rod turning into a serpent and the serpent on the pole in the wilderness. Definitely something to think about.

It is interesting to see the types in the OT and the picture they painted of things to come under the new covenant.

Heb 10:1-2
(1) For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
(2) For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

Remember what eventually happened to the golden serpent? Israel began to worship the type as though it was the thing it typified.

2Ki 18:1-5
(1) Now it came to pass in the third year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign.
(2) Twenty and five years old was he when he began to reign; and he reigned twenty and nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Abi, the daughter of Zachariah.
(3) And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that David his father did.
(4) He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brasen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan.
(5) He trusted in the LORD God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor any that were before him.

I am so thankful for the savior! Praise God the anti-type came. It is so wonderful to look to Him, to know Him, to receive the atoning work of Christ so we can dwell in the very presence of God, in the Holy of Holies as it were.

2009/10/15 16:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
I am not interested in a theological debate. I simply believe what I read, and that I speak.

Right....like "this is My Body".

Just keeping you consistent.

2009/10/15 17:49
brodav9

Sylacauga Alabama

Re: what a neat thought there.

That reminds of the very thing we're dealing with here. They were going to use the brass pole and serpent for a evil purpose, so the king had it destroyed. Today they use it as a evil purpose by saying Jesus is a serpent on the cross full of the sins of the people. They even say he had to be born again. Jesus was way ahead of that prophetically and used the shadow-type to get glory and it pointed to him as a savior and holy spotless Lamb. The false teachers today remind of the Matt.4:8-10 account They are blasphemers who want the money of people to build multi-million dollar homes and jet planes etc. They hide behind a false prosperity message.

2009/10/16 18:35Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy