SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : comparing a fish with a serpent.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
brodav9

Sylacauga Alabama

comparing a fish with a serpent.

In Matt.12:39-40 Jesus shows them that a great fish swallowed Jonah. He then tells them it was a sign of his being 3 days in heart of the earth. That had not happened yet. I don't believe that the fish was the issue. The issue was 3 days in burial. The types in the O.T. were pictures meant to convey a understanding of a point that would reveal a revelation of Jesus Christ. once the point was made we were not expected to add more. it would be silly to add something like Jesus is a big fish. The point was made ,he would be buried 3 days. in Num. 21:8-9 we have another type. In Jn.3:14 The emphesis is not the serpent-- the type was pointing to Jesus to be lifted upon a cross that was the revelation of Jesus Christ. He doesn't identify with the serpent. The serpent always identified with satan. Rev.12:9 We must be prayerful to not add to the shadows and types more than what they are saying to us. Many are afraid to even study these types because of fear of wrong interpretation. The truth of a type is clear when it points to the righteousness and not to darkness. We must remember that the pointing to Jesus is to bless us with a understanding of who he is and how God revealed him before he ever came to do his wonderful work. it is not the type but what the type points to that matters. Jesus must be seen only in glorious light for in him was no darkness at all. Jude 1:3-8

2009/10/11 10:04Profile
Logic

Re: comparing a fish with a serpent.

Quote:
brodav9 wrote:
He doesn't identify with the serpent.

He He does, [b]John 3:14[/b] [color=990000]And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:[/color]

Quote:
The serpent always identified with satan.

Not in this case, the serpent is identified with judgment.

When the children of Israel looked upon their judgment, they were acknowledging their guilt.
Just as when one looks upont the crucified Chirst, he is looking upon his judgment, he were acknowledging his guilt.

2009/10/11 20:14Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: comparing a fish with a serpent.

When the serpents were sent as judgment upon the children of Israel, the cure was to look upon the serpent that was hung on the pole. The cure for our sin was having Christ who knew no sin to become sin for us. He was hung on a cross. I am not so sure you brodav9 and Logic are not coming at this from both sides and arriving at the same location. Could it be that the serpent on the pole is a type of sin being nailed to the cross? Christ knew no sin, was sinless, yet he became sin for us and bore that sin on the cross. I don't think that the serpent in this case is typical of Satan, but rather typical of the sin born on the cross for our justification.

2009/10/11 23:36Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
twayneb wrote:
When the serpents were sent as judgment upon the children of Israel, the cure was to look upon the serpent that was hung on the pole.

As their judgment.

Quote:
The cure for our sin was having Christ who knew no sin to become sin for us.

It is imposible for anyone to become sin (Jesus included) unles it was morally wrong to be that person &/or there was a law against being that person.
The thread for this topic is [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=30778&forum=36&start=60&viewmode=flat&order=1]Here[/url]

Quote:
He was hung on a cross.

Jesus hanging on the cross does not save; it is the realtionship whci one has with Him which saves.
The cross only made the relationship posible.

Quote:
I am not so sure you brodav9 and Logic are not coming at this from both sides and arriving at the same location. Could it be that the serpent on the pole is a type of sin being nailed to the cross?

No, the serpent on the pole is [b]NOT[/b] a type of sin being nailed to the cross, it is the judgment of sin.
The serpents were the childeren of Israel's judgment for murmering against God & Moses.

As for Jesus hanging on the cross; That death is our judgment, as we look at our judgment, we are we are acknowledging our guilt.

2009/10/12 10:25Profile

Re:

Spell Check would come in handy.

2009/10/12 11:18
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

I am not interested in a theological debate. I simply believe what I read, and that I speak.

Blessings Brother!

Travis.

2009/10/12 16:14Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
twayneb wrote:
2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

I am not interested in a theological debate. I simply believe what I read, and that I speak.

Well be aware that Jesus did not become sin.
You must read it as "he has made him to be a sin offering for us..."
For that is what Jesus was; the Lamb of God; a sin offering.

I am so adamant about this because it is disturbing that someone would consider Jesus to be actual sin, which is nonsence.

2009/10/12 16:43Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Oh, I see what you are getting at. Brother, I think you have missed the point of the metaphor. I simply repeated the words of Paul. Paul was not saying that Jesus became sin in the sense that we might say the water became wine. Paul is making use of metaphor, not speaking about one thing literally becoming another. He is saying, in a sense,that Jesus bore upon Himself the sins of the whole world. See 1 Peter 2:24 and 1 John 2:2, In that sense He did become sin for us.

2009/10/13 16:50Profile
brodav9

Sylacauga Alabama

Re: to be considered

In Deut.21:22-23 Jesus was considered to be sin by those who hanged him. Thereby he was made to be sin who knew no sin. God used man ,but he is the one who sent his son to the cross. Jesus prays for this but ends with not my will but thine be done. v.23 the law which Jesus was still under and completely obeyed, said that if a person is hanged on the tree he is accursed of God. He in that respect was made to be sin for us. As our substitute taking our place and punishment, he was looked upon as sin for us. but we know he was without sin and just fulfilling the will of God to redeem mankind. remember our sins if commited now can't go back in history and be put on him. So it has to be that he made the payment God required (pay in advance) for sins of all who would come to him in the future also.by faith we believe in that payment. meaning purchase our salvation.

2009/10/13 17:12Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

broadav9: You said that very well brother.

2009/10/13 18:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy