SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is there a such thing as Calvinistic Pentecostals?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

One of the more popular systematic theologians of today who is definitely a Calvinist is Wayne Grudem. He is charismatic/pentecostal.

2009/10/7 22:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

One of the more popular systematic theologians of today who is definitely a Calvinist is Wayne Grudem. He is charismatic/pentecostal.

Indeed. As it is, I believe most of the Evangelical church is becoming Pentecostal/Charismatic. Many even within dispensational theologies, which have almost always been cessationist, have started warming up to Pentecostal/Charismatic theologies.

2009/10/7 22:18Profile
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

Thanks for all the feedback. I checked out Sovereign Grace Ministries, I might go visit the church in Crestview. I also did some reading on Piper and Grudem. It is very exciting to see believers who hold to reformed doctrine and believe in experiencing the power of God.

Thanks again,
TimmyJoe

2009/10/8 16:48Profile

Re:

Yeah, cessationism was probably a necessary tenet for Calvin and Luther who needed a reason to break away from the historic church. Now that there is not this concern in the forefront of their minds, evangelicals are taking the more orthodox view again.

2009/10/9 15:40
Jared104

Re: Is there a such thing as Calvinistic Pentecostals?

I was raised Pentecostal (Assembly of God) and even attended an Assembly of God university (Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL) and I am Reformed and have been for five years now. I am coming back to more of a Pentecostal pneumatology although I have gone through phases where I was technically Charismatic and Third Wave. John Piper is my favorite preacher. It was Piper and Wayne Grudem that convinced me of the doctrines of grace outside of the Bible. I like the multicultural emphasis in Pentecostalism. I think the Reformed camp could really learn a lot from Pentecostalism in that area. I also like Francis Chan, Louie Giglio, Michael Youssef, David Platt, and Sam Storms. As far as I know all of these men are Reformed in soteriology and continuationist when it comes to spiritual gifts.

Other well known Reformed continuationists would include:

Mark Driscoll
Tim Keller
Tope Koleoso
Adrian Warnock
Joshua Harris
Ed Stetzer
Beth Moore
Priscilla Shirer

And a few that have questionable theology in certain areas (at least from the perspective of some) that would include:

RT Kendall
Rick Warren
Tony Evans
Andy Stanley
John Wimber

And some recording artists such as:

Mandisa
Shane & Shane
Kirk Franklin (Tony Evans is his pastor)
Lecrae
Mainstay
Chris Tomlin
Kristian Stanfill
Fee
Christy Nockels
Anthony Evans

I'm sure that I've left out someone but these are some of the people that I have been encouraged by over the last few years. There is one man that I know of that embraced the Pentecostal label and was also Reformed. His name was Ern Baxter. There is a very good sermon that he preached that you can listen to on YouTube called "The Eagle Christian".

Also, check into the following organizations:

Sovereign Grace Ministries
NewFrontiers International
Acts 29
Association of Vineyard Churches (As I understand it, a good number of Vineyard churches hold to what amounts to a Reformed soteriology as something they call "living in the tension", a reference to their views on the Kingdom of God that were influenced by the Reformed theologian George Eldon Ladd.)

2011/10/3 0:21Profile
Jared104

Re:

Quote:

Indeed. As it is, I believe most of the Evangelical church is becoming Pentecostal/Charismatic. Many even within dispensational theologies, which have almost always been cessationist, have started warming up to Pentecostal/Charismatic theologies.

I know of a couple of notable examples. Tony Evans is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary which is a Cessationist Dispensationalist seminary. But, Evans is sort of Bapticostal. He said in a book that I flipped through a few years ago that he believes in speaking in tongues and prophecy and all of that and that it's for today.

The other example is Francis Chan. He went to John MacArthur's Bible college but in his book on the Holy Spirit "Forgotten God", he says that while he was in Bible college, he was filled with the Spirit at a Charismatic prayer group.

2011/10/3 0:29Profile
Josef83

Sweden

Re:

Hi,

We have here in Sweden one calvinistic Pentacostal church.
They belong to the pentacostal movement here but hold to reformed doctrines.

2011/10/3 3:49Profile

Re:

I know that for me... I lean toward Reformed Theology, and I believe the gifts are active today. I also believe that at least in America the gifts are greatly abused and much of what we see today in the church is not the true gifts. But be that as it may, I believe the actual genuine gifts of the Holy Spirit are active today in the true church.

So I guess that would make me a Calvinist Pentecostal.

Really tho, forget the labels. My only concern is what does the BIBLE say. Anything else is man centered and not Christ glorifying.

There are a couple newer people on SI that thought they had me pigeon-holed... bet I just blew thier minds with this post!! lol

Krispy

2011/10/3 7:00
sarahsdream

Re:

The original Charismatics were the Puritans.

They were very "feeling" and "personal experience" based and still are.

You see it in all of their writings. Do you want examples?

In Christ,
Sarah

2011/10/3 9:38Profile

Re:

The difference was that the Puritans dismissed any "feelings" or "personal experiences" that did not line up squarely with scripture.

Today the Charismatic movement is not that much concerned with sound doctrine and Biblical exegete. The Puritans were.

I would not call the Puritans "charismatic" or "Pentecostal" because doctrinally they were not.

Krispy

2011/10/3 9:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy