SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian College Pulpit To Be Yielded to Heretical Teacher.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Denny

Virginia

Christian College Pulpit To Be Yielded to Heretical Teacher.

For Immediate Release 9/18/04

Valley Forge Christian College Pulpit To Be Yielded Once Again to Heretical Teacher.

Dennis Green, Life and Liberty Ministries * 804-492-4456 * P.O. Box 862 Powhatan, VA 23139
[url=www.lifeandlibertyministries.com]Life and Liberty Ministries[/url]

Phoenixville, PA - On Tuesday, September 21, 2004, the chapel pulpit of VFCC, an Assemblies of God Bible college in Phoenixville, PA, will be commanded by the heretical teacher, Tony Campolo.

One year ago, Don Meyer, the President of VFCC and Tony Campolo met with several concerned Christians, Michael Marcavage of Repent America and Jason Storms of A Call to Repentance, to discuss the unbiblical teachings of Mr. Campolo. Mr. Campolo preached from the chapel pulpit that day despite the objections of numerous Christians who had pled with Mr. Meyer to protect the chapel pulpit from known wolves in sheep's clothing.

Mr. Campolo has promoted unbiblical and heretical doctrines through the years.

On unity with false religions--
"I know we cannot complete the job ourselves, of course. That is why we Christians, along with our Jewish and Muslim brothers and sisters, wait earnestly for the Messiah to come and join us. We look forward to that great day when the good work that God has begun in and through us will be brought to completion." Tony Campolo, from a recent article

On acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle--
"Meanwhile, pro-gay theologians are preaching this summer at a flurry of summer conferences designed to affirm church going gays and lesbians in their lifestyle. On June 14 in Columbus , Ohio, more than three hundred people gathered at the Adams Mark Hotel for "Amazing Grace," a conference sponsored by the Shepherd Initiative, an ecumenical group that teaches that homosexuality is OK with God. Speakers include liberal evangelicals Tony and Peggy Campolo as well as Presbyterian, Lutheran, Baptist, Mennonite, and Methodist ministers and lay people." World Magazine, August 2, 2003

As a former student of Valley Forge Christian College, Dennis Green is concerned with the direction the College is taking. Mr. Green stated,
"VFCC has clearly lost its way. To invite a false teacher like Mr. Campolo back after being shown the clear and dangerous error of his doctrine is baffling to me. The documented facts were laid upon the table and the College chose to disregard them and give its podium to a wolf. The pulpit is for sale. Where are the true Shepherds of God's flock?".

VFCC's contact information:

Valley Forge Christian College
Don Meyer, President
1401 Charlestown Road, Phoenixville, PA 19460
Phone: 610-935-0450 - Fax: 610-935-9353 - Toll Free: 1-800-432-8322
[url=www.vfcc.edu]VFCC[/url]

2004/9/18 5:46Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Christian College Pulpit To Be Yielded to Heretical Teacher.

Quote:
Where are the true Shepherds of God's flock?".

Weeping, between the porch and altar.

2004/9/18 8:52Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Mr. Campolo has promoted unbiblical and heretical doctrines through the years.

To focus on the men is not the solution but rather to focus on the spirits that are prevailing in our age. 'Doctrines of devils,' are becoming prevalant in the evangelical church, also humanism and other bents in thinking. We have to guard ourselves against these things and preach a true message but to name-call becomes pointless and brings much division in the end, sometimes its of necessity. Campolo has much good to say at the same time, I have heard him speak at Peoples Church.

2004/9/18 10:17Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re:

Quote:
Campolo has much good to say at the same time, I have heard him speak at Peoples Church.

Hi Greg. I'm not sure if I get you right on this. Written words sometimes have a way of giving us readers confusing thoughts. :-( Does it mean that it's still okay to invite him to preach for as long as He doesn't mention about his stand on gays and other religions? As far as difference of doctrine is concerned is there a dividing line for us to say, "I can't 'associate' with you anymore"?

Indeed I agree that there's a need to separate doctrine from the person himself hence the danger of name-calling. We must stay on the true message trusting that God do what He says He'll do.

2004/9/18 10:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Indeed I agree that there's a need to separate doctrine from the person himself hence the danger of name-calling. We must stay on the true message trusting that God do what He says He'll do.

Yes its a very close border-line and demands much wisdom and discernment to adequately make choices that are spiritual and true. I have heard him speak on the homeless and hungry in other countries and showing that is was just as sinful as lust or adultery to neglect the poor. Sadly the western world has this view that the worst type of sin is sexual.. which is true to a point, but pride and neglecting the poor where the 2 main reasons God destroyed Sodom and Gommorah.

Personally I wouldnt get Campolo's materials up on SermonIndex. I do have a very select group of preachers on this site. I keep getting the word of God coming to me saying to speak and live in truth.. seeking after truth, and the rest will be manifest for what it truly is. When the majority of religion is by the wayside the most appropriate thing to do is live in the light and let that light itself manifest the surrounding darkness.

2004/9/18 12:17Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Here's a small quote from Campolo's book "Partly Right":

Quote:
"We affirm our divinity by doing what is worthy of gods, and we affirm our humanity by taking risks only available to mortals. God had to become one of us before He could become heroic ... Robert Schuller affirms our divinity, yet does not deny our humanity ... isn't that what the gospel is? Isn't God's message to sinful humanity that He sees in each of us a divine nature of such worth that He sacrificed His own Son so that our divine potentialities might be realized? ... [b]The hymn writer who taught us to sing 'Amazing Grace' was all too ready to call himself a 'wretch' ... Forgetting our divinity and over-identifying with our [Freudian] anal humanity[/b] [Freud is responsible for a host of maladies that plague our contemporary society] ... Erich Fromm, one of the most popular psychoanalysts of our time, recognized the diabolical social consequences that can come about when a person loses sight of his/her own divinity ..."

Fromm, whom Campolo quotes with favor, was a godless anti-Christian, who took the serpent's lie, Ye Shall Be As Gods, for the title of one of his books, and was largely responsible for the introduction of the self-love movement into the professing Church.

Campolo's gospel is a mix of marxism, new age philosophy, and humanism. He is, admittedly, very millitant in his work for the poor, but it is in the misguided form of the old social gospels of the late 1800's and early 1900's.

2004/9/18 14:52Profile
Denny

Virginia

Re: Campolo

Quote:
"To focus on the men is not the solution but rather to focus on the spirits that are prevailing in our age."

I can only partly agree with this statement. Men are very often the tools of the devil. A heretic who misleads thousands isn't an innocent party in the deception. He himself, bears the guilt and will suffer the judgement. He won't be saying "the devil made me do it" when he stands before the throne. I would say that we absolutely "must" point out and name those who would destroy the pure gospel and ravage the flock.

Quote:
"We have to guard ourselves against these things and preach a true message but to name-call becomes pointless and brings much division in the end, sometimes its of necessity."

If one was to call Campolo "ugly" or say that he "dresses funny", I would agree with the above statement. Calling someone a wolf, however, is a very biblical term. No malice is needed to call a deceiver just that. I would say that such "devision is a good thing if it divides the good from the evil. I'm not talking about petty differences that divide unneccessarily. To separate and come out from among those who use the name of Christ to promote a different gospel can be a holy thing.

Quote:
"Campolo has much good to say at the same time, I have heard him speak at Peoples Church."

Brother, this is what makes Campolo ever so dangerous. He sounds so good when he talks the talk in churches. But then he will turn around and make wickedly, unscriptural statements and the undiscerning will think he is speaking truth because he is accepted as a brother in good standing by the church leadership.

I have on several occasions been on the street at sodomite festivals to share the gospel while Tony's wife Peggy is promoting the wicked lifestyle from the stage. Peggy is a militant homosexual activist. Campolo speaks at events with his wife and will introduce her as someone who has a deep faith in God and a high respect for the Scriptures. This is blasphemous. He gives his stamp of approval to his lost, and deceived wife and legitimizes her efforts by his endorsement. If it smells like a wolf, sounds like a wolf and looks like a wolf, I have to conclude that it is a wolf.

2004/9/18 18:43Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
To focus on the men is not the solution but rather to focus on the spirits that are prevailing in our age.
Campolo has much good to say at the same time, I have heard him speak at Peoples Church.

I'm a little confused. How is this any different from mentioning the fact that alot of these "Word of Faith", and "Kansas City Prophets" movement have alot of good things to say? I have refered to Michael L Browne, Steve Hill, Rick Joyner, and Mike Bickle, and have been almost branded a heretic, while someone who, at least tolerates homosexuality publically has "much good to say"?

I'm sorry, but something doesn't add up. I have to admit, that I had alot of respect for Campolo, in the past. I was deeply challenged by a sermon he preached in Melbourne, where he said that he had a child prostitute in Thailand approach him with her "menu" (I'm sorry about bringing this sickening story, but it was the only time that I've heard him personally). He said that he "hired" the girl, and took her back to his room, hiring out Disney videos and buying toys, allowing her to be a "child" for one night.

I and many others in the service were deeply moved by this story of desperation where all he could do, was give this girl a "night off" for her terrible occupation. After that, he set up an organisation, that teaches these girls english, so that they can get jobs, waiting tables and out of the sex industry.

I share this story as an example of his "much good to say". This story impacts me greatly, because I have a personal friend who sets up orphanages in Thailand, Cambodia, and Mozambeque to rescue children from these predictaments (some of the stories that he's told me wold curl your hair). It is great that their can be "good things to say", coming from the mouth of men like Campolo, because it can only give glory to God.

I have personally had at three men that have greatly been used of God, in my life, that have later been found to have very deep flaws in their character (one of them later admitted to being a homosexual). I can safely say, that the insight that was revealed to me, through these men, came from God, not man. If I were God, I would have overlooked these men, as not being worthy, but He says that "the gifts and calling of God are without repentance(Rom 11:29)". Even Keith Daniel says that he wouldn't want to touch, doctrinally the issue of who God will and won't use (see The Spiritual Birth).

So what's the problem with Campolo? Check out "Is the Homosexual My Neighbor?". This is a "tag-team" message by both Tony and Peggy Campolo, where the overall message is that two people can still be in unity, in spite of having major doctrinal differences (even if they're husband and wife). In it, Tony claims to be against homosexual union, where Peggy claims to be for. Where Peggy is very passionate about her stand, Tony seems to be very complacent regarding the matter, simply stating that he calls homosexuals to "celibacy".

I personally have an issue with a message that accepts that homosexuals don't choose to be homosexual, and says that the answer is simply to suppress their desires and not act on them. this to me has the appearence of a gospel that has "a form of godliness, but denying its power".

Just in case anyone reads anything different into this, I'm actually agreeing with Greg, Campolo has got good things to say. Just because the straight edge of a rule has some notches in it, doesn't mean the the measurement increments are out. Likewise, just because a preacher has some flaws, doesn't mean that everything that comes out of his mouth is wrong.

I have heard few people present messages that regarding considering the poor and afflicted with the force that Campolo does. So what if I can't set my clock by him? That's what the Bible is for.:-)

2004/9/19 8:53Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Some good points Aaron.

Went and read a bit of the linked article.
I disagree though with this:

Quote:
First of all, as a sociologist, which is what I am by trade - I got into this analysis of homosexuality back when I was a faculty member at the University of Pennsylvania from '65 to '75, as I talked to my colleagues and I listened and I interviewed over 300 people who were homosexuals, I found that there were certain universal truths. I only interviewed male homosexuals so I can only say I studied that one group. Out of the 300 male homosexuals that I interviewed,[b] I never met a homosexual who chose to be one.[/b] That, I have to say right up front. Okay? You can argue over the causes of homosexuality. [b]Let me also add, nobody knows what causes homosexuality.[/b] I mean I know that you get these religious publications that talk about this cause and that cause and the other cause. Every social scientist that I know who has analyzed this problem say, we don't know what the causes are. There are those who talk about genetics. There are those who talk about biophysical. There are those that talk about sociological, psychological factors. Nobody knows. And those who are experts say, for the most part, there are a variety of factors that interact with each other to create homosexuality and it may even be that no two people are homosexuals for the same reason. We don't know what causes it. We know this - that at least for the males who I can attest to that I interviewed, the imprintation of the consciousness, the establishment of the orientation occurred so early in the psychosocial development of the individual that the individual [b]never remembers having made a choice[/b].

Sorry, every sin we commit is a choice no matter what kind of verbiage we try to use to squirm out of it. Talking about unbelievers here doesn't change the equation any.

He goes on to say:
Quote:
That's important because I often hear rhetoric that says if you just pray and repent and turn away from this that God will honor you and all will be well. And that's the second point.

We also know that there are [b]very, very few cases where people actually change their orientation.[/b] I interviewed significant numbers of homosexuals who, quote unquote, claim to be cures. And I asked them a simple question. Here's the question: Do you ever have sexual fantasies. Now, everybody in this group, except Dr. Horner, has sexual fantasies. Everybody here has sexual fantasies, you see

Two things, one is the premise that he lays out before hand set's this up as the idea that you have a 'orientation' to begin with, well yes and no. The only orientation I am aware of is a sin orientation, 'sold under sin'. To say 'we don't know' what 'causes' 'this' is to miss the point all together and seems to give leverage to the idea that there is some unknown gene or hidden factor to a predetermined outcome. I know that he dismisses this sort of with the biophysical comment and 'we don't know' but it gives more credit to that than to what we as Christians believe. Our 'orientation' is 'changed' when we become believers in that a new power has taken residence within us spiritually, our 'choosing' faculty's don't go away, but we are promised an escape from all temptation;

[i]1Co 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is unusual for human beings. But God is faithful, and he will not allow you to be tempted beyond your strength. Instead, along with the temptation he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to endure it.[/i]

Secondly, this blanket statement about those being delivered as [i]"very few"[/i] also seems to be a contradiction with the ministry's that have helped those 'come out' of this lifestyle. Again, couching it with 'orientation' this way and the fact that the struggles still go on just muddies the situation. I get his point to an extent, but think the basis is off from the get go. How else do you get around this:

[i] 1Co 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor abusers, nor homosexuals,
1Co 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 6:11 [b]And such were some of you[/b]. But you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.[/i]

Since this came up something else has been bothering me. Heard a bit from Edwin Lutzer the other day, Focus on the Family or another program.
He was discussing this issue, of the homosexual agenda and gay 'marriage' (no such thing, it's a contradiction in terms) and so forth.

Was delighted to hear and somewhat saddened that he didn't drive home the point more (may have been time constrictions on his message) but he finally said what I believe is largely missing.
That for all the loud and rightly said outcry over what is transpiring there is an equal and overlooked fact that our own "Christian" marriages are plagued with divorce. The statistics pointing out that we are by degrees even worse than the unconverted.

Where is the outcry about that?
With what kind of believability are our words going to be taken when we won't even point the finger at ourselves and take as much initiative to right our own wrongs in this area? It is a strange phenomenon that we can glibly protest so loudly about the sanctity of marriage and only give a passing, quiet murmur to the rampant divorce within that so called sanctity.

Is it any wonder that we as a whole are seen as hypocrites? It's not an either or, but a both and.
Just don't see us as having any credibility until we show the world that being a Christian is to be divorced from the [i]world[/i] not from our mates.

When will the masses of Christendom get the point that all sin is sin? And quit elevating one above the other.

2004/9/19 10:19Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
I share this story as an example of his "much good to say". This story impacts me greatly, because I have a personal friend who sets up orphanages in Thailand, Cambodia, and Mozambeque to rescue children from these predictaments (some of the stories that he's told me wold curl your hair). It is great that their can be "good things to say", coming from the mouth of men like Campolo, because it can only give glory to God.

I have personally had at three men that have greatly been used of God, in my life, that have later been found to have very deep flaws in their character (one of them later admitted to being a homosexual). I can safely say, that the insight that was revealed to me, through these men, came from God, not man. If I were God, I would have overlooked these men, as not being worthy, but He says that "the gifts and calling of God are without repentance(Rom 11:29)". Even Keith Daniel says that he wouldn't want to touch, doctrinally the issue of who God will and won't use (see The Spiritual Birth).

Tony Campolo's compassion toward humans is to be commended. But if you look deeply his compassion is not warmed with a christian love, but a humanist one. William Booth's motto was "A heart to God and a hand to man." Campolo has the hand to man, but no heart to God. Both are necessary ingrediants for the christian. In Ten Shekels And A Shirt Paris Reidhead spoke of another who outdid Campolo in compassion toward men, Albert Shweitzer, but he was no christian either.

William Gurnall said in "The Christian In Complete Armour",

"Hypocrites are so anxious to pass for saints that they often become great criticizers of the true graces of others to make themselves look better, as Herod burned the Jews' ancient genealogies to defend his own base birth."

Quote:
The hymn writer who taught us to sing 'Amazing Grace' was all too ready to call himself a 'wretch' ... Forgetting our divinity and over-identifying with our [Freudian] anal humanity. Quoting Campolo from his book "Partly Right."

Another quote from Gurnall considering false teachers who have inspired believers:

"I confess the hypocrite may act his part so well that he may accidentally do some good. HIs glistening profession, heavenly speech, and eloquent preaching might bring to the sincere seeker a measure of real comfort. Like an actor at center stage who stirs up passion in the audience by counterfeit tears, the hypocrite, playing his religious role, may temporarily spark the beliver's true graces. But that is when the Christian may be in the most serious danger, for he will not readily suspect the person who once helped him spiritually."

I would commend Campolo for his efforts with humans, but would give no weight to his doctrine. His accusations that I have heard him make against Christianity for not helping the poor I sometimes find offensive when I know of several ministries that work amongst the poor. Men like K. P. Yohanan, and David Grant (who does more than just give young girls a night off, but actually risks his life in India to rescue them from the brothels and introduces them to Christ). Campolo would save the flesh of a person but leave the soul in chains.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/9/19 14:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy